Linux Mint 17.2 “Rafaela” Xfce RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 17.2 “Rafaela” Xfce RC released!

Post by clem »

Habitual

Re: Linux Mint 17.2 “Rafaela” Xfce RC released!

Post by Habitual »

Awesome Job, as always!

Thank you all for the hard work.
KingJulien

Post by KingJulien »

Great release. This is the best Xfce distro available till date.
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

No problems with 64bit (like it), but installation of 32bit is weird. About 2/3 way through, drops back to (live) opening screen, cursor still rotating. Long delay, DVD starts up again - same screen. Stops. Another delay, process repeats - never gets to finish. Tried new d/l, re-write, etc. - no - cursor still rotating. Manual restart, no GRUB. Any suggestions, please?
imsaikat

Post by imsaikat »

When Linux Mint 17.2 “Rafaela” Xfce final iso will be available on the website?
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Im almost certain the response to your question, imsaikat, is going to be "when its ready". The Linux Mint team does a fantastic job in regards to testing, bug fixing, etc. before releasing the final OS. Last I remember, during the Release Candidate (RC) phase, the team uses that time period to iron out any last bugs for roughly 2 to 3 weeks, maybe more. This is done to ensure we as end users can have an amazing OS to use. :)
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

JohnBobSmith wrote:Im almost certain the response to your question, imsaikat, is going to be "when its ready".7
Indeed. Couple that with "when enough people have downloaded/installed/tested/reported & troubleshot the RC that the Mint developers feel that it is up to their usual standards." It could be "anywhen" from, well, already released and I just haven't noticed yet to a while, yet. It probably won't be a long time off, though. In the meantime, Mint 17.0 Xfce, Mint 17.1 Xfce, and Mint 17.1 Xfce upgraded to Xfce version 4.12 via PPA appear to be working well (at least for me) and are all currently supported, so there's no emergency. Be patient and it will, as John stated, be released when it's ready.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
chrisonmint

Post by chrisonmint »

imsaikat wrote:When Linux Mint 17.2 “Rafaela” Xfce final iso will be available on the website?
I really like the Xfce version of Mint compared to the MATE edition, but it does seem that Xfce has been de-prioritised on the website...

- The main download page only features Cinnamon and MATE
http://www.linuxmint.com/index.php

- Clicking the Download tab give you a list of again, only Cinnamon and MATE
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

- Xfce edition only appears to belisted here; you have to go to "Download" then click "All versions" then choose "17.2 / Rafaela"
http://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=25

I dont mind if the dev team want to focus on supporting just two desktop environments, this will hopefully mean a better more polished experience in those two. Any comments??
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

chrisonmint wrote:
imsaikat wrote:When Linux Mint 17.2 “Rafaela” Xfce final iso will be available on the website?
I really like the Xfce version of Mint compared to the MATE edition, but it does seem that Xfce has been de-prioritised on the website...
Mint 17.2 Xfce hasn't been de-prioritized; it's quite simply not released yet (should be any day now). :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

My local LM mirror now appears to have stable/release ISOs of LM 17.2 xfce

https://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/linuxmint/stable/17.2/

Is this right?

Mike.
ImaginaryFriend

Post by ImaginaryFriend »

mingle wrote:My local LM mirror now appears to have stable/release ISOs of LM 17.2 xfce

https://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/linuxmint/stable/17.2/

Is this right?

Mike.
COULD be, but since the "last modified date" there reads July 23rd, I doubt it. (Yeah, I was excited, too.)
chrisonmint

Post by chrisonmint »

Pjotr wrote: Mint 17.2 Xfce hasn't been de-prioritized; it's quite simply not released yet (should be any day now). :)
Ok, I see - I just ran an upgrade from 17.1 and assumed we were at RTM because mint update offered it to me! Phew, everything is working BTW!

Regarding the web site the Cinnamon and MATE versions didn't disappear from the mint main page while they were at RC... I guess that was my point. Why do the KDE and Xfce versions drop off completely? Now that you are based on LTS ubuntu, is there any harm with someone installing 17.1 Xfce today? This was probably very sensible before you used LTS.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

chrisonmint wrote:Now that you are based on LTS ubuntu, is there any harm with someone installing 17.1 Xfce today?
No, that's quite OK. However, you might find the last two iso's on this page interesting:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/linuxmint/stable/17.2

We're very, very close to the release announcement, I think. :mrgreen:
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

Yep, the one I stumbled across the other day was indeed the stable release!

It's good to the The King... :-)

Now to install it!
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

Yup, got the final. 32-bit liveDVD runs nicely, but same problem - installation doesn't seem to finalise. Shutdown for restart seems to run OK now but no bootloader has been installed. All files present on HD. Can GRUB be installed from another source? Which? How? or from liveDVD? This is not an area I understand, help appreciated.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

How-old! wrote:Yup, got the final. 32-bit liveDVD runs nicely, but same problem - installation doesn't seem to finalise. Shutdown for restart seems to run OK now but no bootloader has been installed. All files present on HD. Can GRUB be installed from another source? Which? How? or from liveDVD? This is not an area I understand, help appreciated.
Install Grub by hand:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... tten-Grub-
(item 2, left column)
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

Well, thanks for that very rapid reply, Pjotr. Maybe it's a different problem? The little circle displayed during installation never stops revolving and GParted only shows ~2.6Gb on sda1 (default wipe-install chosen). Trying to mount /sda1 gives "already mounted or /target busy" "according to mtab /dev/sda1 is already mounted on /target"
Then, sudo grub-install...., gives
"grub-probe error: failed to get canonical path of ' /cow'.
Installing for i386-pc platform
grub-install.real: error: failed to get canonical path of ' /cow'."
did not get
"Installation finished. No error reported."
Didn't re start, of course, just the flashing dash.
Ideas, please?
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

Sort of fixed it. The install was never completed (obvious from the above). Tried it in all modes on several 32bit machines, different memory sticks/sizes, different video cards - no go. In desperation fitted an IDE-SATA converter and installed on a 754 machine. Worked first time! Transferred hard drive back to a 32bit machine - perfect! How rigorously was the install tested on 32bit machines?
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

What CPU is in the computer that you were having trouble with? Did you try the force PAE command (I forget what it is, specifically)? Did you try uninstalling the slide show?

This probably isn't it, since you were able to successfully install it on a different computer using the same media, but did you verify the .ISO's md5sum before burning it?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

What CPU - XP2400+. .. force PAE command - Don't know it. ... uninstalling the slide show? - No ... verify the .ISO's md5sum - Yes.
Sorry for delay!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”