Upgrade path to 17.3 now open for all editions

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Upgrade path to 17.3 now open for all editions

Post by clem » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:10 pm

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Upgrade path to 17.3 now open for all editions

Post by Pjotr » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:01 pm

Thanks! :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:56 am

This means that a person can upgrade their current installation "in place" to 17.3. But can the user still use their Update Manager to, for example, upgrade a 17.0 installation to 17.2 (or 17.1)? Or is the only choice to go from whichever version they have to 17.3?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:04 am

Only to the last version (17.3).

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:17 pm

Cosmo. wrote:Only to the last version (17.3).
DOGGONE IT!!!

Is there any way to revert one or more files to the state where such a thing would be possible? I have two Mint installations on my computer's hard drive. One - my "main, daily-use" setup - is Mint 17.0 Xfce. The other is (IIRC) 17.1. I did that to test it out before upgrading the main one. I like it and would like to upgrade the 17.0 to 17.1. THEN I would think about upgrading the "test" one to 17.2 or even 17.3, but at this point they are unknowns (to ME) and I would not upgrade my daily-use setup to an unknown.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:35 pm

Maybe I'm seeing things too simple... but why don't you just put 17.3 on a USBstick, boot it and take it for a test drive?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:49 pm

MtnDewManiac wrote:Is there any way to revert one or more files to the state where such a thing would be possible?
Interesting question. I think it would be possible by replacing the word "qiana" (in the 17.0 system) in the software sources list, by "rebecca". And by replacing "rebecca" (in the 17.1 system) by "rafaela". Then run "sudo apt-get update" and then launch Update Manager.

So for 17.0 to 17.1:

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i 's/qiana/rebecca/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
And for 17.1 to 17.2:

sudo sed -i 's/rebecca/rafaela/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
Then:

sudo apt-get update
Then launch Update Manager and refresh it with the refresh button. Finally, install all updates and reboot.

This should do the desired upgrade with all safeguards, like preserving the level system for the updates and preserving the current kernel and graphical stack.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:06 pm

M0em wrote:Maybe I'm seeing things too simple... but why don't you just put 17.3 on a USBstick, boot it and take it for a test drive?
I had problems when I upgraded from 17 to 17.1, There seemeds to be a regression involving the Intel Ironlake gpu series. I've searched all over the place and couldn't find anything. Either it was not apparently relevant ... Intel linux video driver regressions aren't that rare unfortunately ... or it was so specialized I didn't have a clue what they were talking about. Serious video geek stuff.

My solution, if you can call it that, was to to a clean reinstall of 17. Things like this are why I wish a separate /home partition was the default for mint/ubuntu installation. Doesn't Debian do that?

So the bottom line is that from now on I will never do an upgrade like that without testing it on live USB boot first. Of course, sometimes that can mean setting up persistence but not this time.

On a cheerier note, I've been testing the 17.3 XFCE live session, and it looks like they've fixed it in the new kernel/xorg stack. Yay. Not quite done testing it but I think it's time to upgrade.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:55 pm

Well, I've got good news for user of intel Ironlake gpus. I did the upgrade to 17.3 and the video is excellent. Actually the performance is better than on 17.0. I found some bug reports that said that regressions were fixed in kernel 3.19, and apparently they are.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”