Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Post by austin.texas »

MtnDewManiac wrote:Since even the idiot in the room (me) was able to use the "Boot the .ISO from the only hard drive in the computer, load it entirely into RAM, and then install the distro" method - with LOTS of help from you, of course - I think it should be given more publicity. It is even faster than installing from USB (with no "burning" to a flash drive via UNetbootin required) and does not waste a DVD, either. It seems better than the upgrade-in-place method to me, and works even when the user managed to screw things up (whereas the upgrade probably wouldn't have).
And now my distro (version) is supported until 2021. 8)
Regards,
MDM
Acutally, I think my tutorial on that :arrow: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1849 is fairly easy to follow. Sorry you had trouble with it. The whole section about "Booting from the Grub prompt, without a Menuentry" could be ignored if the first part of the tutorial works for you.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
bash64
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Post by bash64 »

njp wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:43 pm
bash64 wrote:All went well for me. I run a complex mint 17.3 setup.
I am running mint 18 with few issues.
I did have a huge issue getting booted using upstart, but I have a procedure for that now.
If anyone wants a copy of the procedure I can post it.
You can boot the old init or upstart with it.
I would greatly appreciate a guide on switching to upstart in Mint 18.
Booting - Upstart

Under Advanced Options in grub you will see an entry to boot with Upstart (one time, not permanent).

I have personally chosen to go back to using Upstart.
There is an Ubuntu article describing how to make Upstart the default menu item.
This doesn't work very well and causes issues. I recommend that you just use the above method.

Upstart bugs:
Though they made a way to use Upstart to avoid the fighting going on over systemD, it doesn't mean they did a nice job of it.
After selecting Upstart you will be presented with a text login, rather than the usual graphical login.
After logging in this way you will see a systemD login error.
This is what is preventing Upstart from performing a normal graphical login.

Open a terminal and do this to get the graphical login to come up:
>sudo service mdm restart

Now login normally.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”