Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
vdeane
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Post by vdeane »

Hope the Nvidia issue isn't too severe; my new computer has a Nvidia card! Guess I'll find out shortly.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon (Beta) Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqpo9VYrnqs

At 4 Mins -------^

I thought it was just me but i just noticed the above review has also found the menu response time a bit sluggish.

I've tried both nouveau and nvidia drivers on two different computers but it's exactly the same response time.

Not so slow that there is a pause but also not fast enough to be instant.
whiskeytown

Post by whiskeytown »

have we established that the distros announced yesterday on distrowatch.com ( heanet.ie) are the production releases? I keep seeing announcements that we're out but nothing yet on the reddit for Mint and no official announcement on these forums yet - was going to skip Beta and go into 18.0 with a fresh install if they are
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

whiskeytown wrote:have we established that the distros announced yesterday on distrowatch.com ( heanet.ie) are the production releases? I keep seeing announcements that we're out but nothing yet on the reddit for Mint and no official announcement on these forums yet - was going to skip Beta and go into 18.0 with a fresh install if they are
They're probably (99 % certainty) the final iso's.

Yet: in the past it has happened, that just before the official announcement some last-minute changes were made to the iso's, so that new iso's were uploaded to the mirrors.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
vdeane
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vdeane »

Is it normal for the install to sit for many minutes after the screen with the checkbox to install third party software? I checked the box, created the password, pressed "Continue", and now I've been stuck with the spinning cursor for over 10-20 minutes.
bin_bash

Post by bin_bash »

Has anyone else experienced being unable to use wifi with Mint 18?
See my thread here.
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=224299&p=1182762#p1182762
mottechy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mottechy »

I tested cinnamon and mate versions and cinnamon is better for me.
Waiting for the stable release!
Proxima
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Proxima »

Using beta Mint 18 Cinnamon for a couple days now and it seems I'm on nothing but good terms with Sarah so far.
The only issue I had is that after some time of listening to tray-minimized banshee(or maybe all, but I don't really get other system notifications as it is) the notifications it sends start missing more and more letters - it actually looks really creepy :lol: If I can reproduce it more predictably I may or may not report it as a bug as I'm kinda not sure if the issue isn't caused by 3rd party (Oibaf) graphics drivers :wink:

As for menu response, I guess it is a couple miliseconds too many to call it instantenious, though at first I assumed my crappy gpu's at fault :wink:

I understand once the final iso is out there's no real need to reinstall into it as the beta will just kinda update itself to those up-to-date system components (unless the final contains some different components altogether, I guess)?

Anyway very nice release :)

Edit: oh, I guess the stable release is out there already?
#1 Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit @ i7 3520M, 16GB, Intel HD4000
#2 Mint 21.1 Xfce 64 bit @ i5 3320M, 4GB, Intel HD4000
#3 Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit @ FX-6300, 12GB, AMD RX560
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Release announcements on Mint Blog >>> LM18 Cinnamon and LM18 MATE :!: :mrgreen:

Link to Downloads page HERE.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Pjotr wrote:Note that I advise to enable the third and most invasive update policy, for this to happen. After the release of Mint 18 final, you can always step back to another, more cautious update policy.
Clem normally provides instructions in the blog post for how to upgrade the beta to get the same thing as the final release. I would recommend following those directions.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Proxima wrote:The only issue I had is that after some time of listening to tray-minimized banshee(or maybe all, but I don't really get other system notifications as it is) the notifications it sends start missing more and more letters - it actually looks really creepy :lol: If I can reproduce it more predictably I may or may not report it as a bug as I'm kinda not sure if the issue isn't caused by 3rd party (Oibaf) graphics drivers :wink:
Banshee is becoming a problem. There have been a few reports of people having issues with it and it no longer seems very well maintained. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mint with a different default player once something that fits the proper needs is found.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Proxima
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Proxima »

JosephM wrote:Clem normally provides instructions in the blog post for how to upgrade the beta to get the same thing as the final release. I would recommend following those directions.
Yes, thanks, followed those - so I guess my install is no longer the beta either :wink: As for Samba, didn't make a noticeable difference in boot time for me, but then again my hard drive isn't really a race car :) . But I didn't need it anyway so guess I won't reinstall it either :lol:
JosephM wrote:Banshee is becoming a problem. There have been a few reports of people having issues with it and it no longer seems very well maintained. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mint with a different default player once something that fits the proper needs is found.
Hmm I see, although aside from this one little creepy thing that I can't even directly blame on Banshee with 100% certainty, I haven't had any problems with it yet :wink:
#1 Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit @ i7 3520M, 16GB, Intel HD4000
#2 Mint 21.1 Xfce 64 bit @ i5 3320M, 4GB, Intel HD4000
#3 Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit @ FX-6300, 12GB, AMD RX560
fred19

Post by fred19 »

Will there be a Mint18 Xfce?
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

fred19 wrote:Will there be a Mint18 Xfce?
Yes. In about a month or so. :)

The Xfce and KDE editions always follow approximately a month after the Cinnamon and Mate editions.
fred19

Post by fred19 »

Thank you.
Wildman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Wildman »

Any idea when Sarah will be available on the update manager?
Always,
Wildman
The price of freedom is not free.

All gave some an d some gave all.

All gave some.
Some gave all.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Wildman wrote:Any idea when Sarah will be available on the update manager?
Always,
Wildman
I expect in about six weeks or so.... Depending on how well the (in this case difficult!) upgrade tests work out.

Note this caution of mine:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... te-Manager
(item 2, left column)
Last edited by Pjotr on Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Pjotr wrote:
Wildman wrote:Any idea when Sarah will be available on the update manager?
Always,
Wildman
I expect in about six weeks or so.... Depending on how well the (in this case difficult!) upgrade tests work out.

Note this caution of mine:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... e-Manager-
(item 3, left column)
I don't understand this recommendation. At least not on the basis you give. The reason for the upgrade tool is so that it can do things to help deal with any issues found doing the upgrade in testing. It won't necessarily be the same as just running an apt update, upgrade, dist-upgrade or whatever. The issue of updating this way in Ubuntu is well known and the reason a new install of Mint was always recommended in the past.

That being said, I would never do an upgrade of any type without things I didn't want to lose being backed up. This should be the case at all times anyway. I personally also like doing fresh installs on occasion because I end up with a ton of stuff installed that I don't actually want or use just for troubleshooting issues.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Joseph;

I have to say that I agree with Pjotr on this one. Upgrading from 17.x to 18 means upgrading (almost) the entire codebase. A LOT of files have to be removed and a lot of files have to be D/Led and installed. It seems likely that it'll be a lengthy and complicated process. If/when the Dev Team provides a MinuUpdate path to LM 18 for the 17.x folks, I "trust" that they will, in greatest probability, do it right. But in the back of my mind, I will always wonder if there is some obscure file that was left lying around that will come back to haunt me weeks, months, or maybe even years down the road... With a Live USB stick in hand, I can do an installation in about 15 to 20 minutes and be SURE that it is right The first boot and update will take another maybe 10 minutes (on a new release). So, in about 1/2 an hour, it's done and I never have to wonder about stray files (orphans)... add another 1/2 hour for data restoration (I don't use a /home partition and don't have a large data set), installing a few of my favorite packages, and some interface customization, and I am back up and running with a new OS in about 1 hour... and have done a little house cleaning and learned a few things along the way... Life's Good!!! YMMV! :mrgreen:

WIth the long weekend coming up, I am planning to (maybe) "re-do", my experimentation machine. My "re-do" plan is to wipe the 4 installations that are on it now, re-work the partitioning, and then install & update 3 versions of Mint - LMDE2, LM18C64, & LM18M64 (on an new partition scheme). If I remember, I'll "clock" the process and report back with "real world" data! :wink:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

JosephM wrote:I don't understand this recommendation.
Seconded with 200 %. This "recommendation" is given with zero knowledge about the mechanism and its consequences. It is purely speculative. Sadly this speculative judgment has already be given several months ago.
And how anybody wants to claim to know, that a clean installation is "a lot"(!) quicker than an upgrade, is over my head. How can one compare 2 things, if only one of them is at the time of writing available at all? Using a time machine (aka "Back to the Future ...").
JosephM wrote:That being said, I would never do an upgrade of any type without things I didn't want to lose being backed up. This should be the case at all times anyway.
I second also this with 200 %. And I clearly mean both sentences! The "recommendation" has besides the speculative thinking this additional big mistake: The word backup is not at least mentioned in this "recommendation". So far it deserves a clear disadvise.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”