Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
skayell

Re: Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Post by skayell »

I am hoping someone in the know can help me out with why Linux Mint 18 being code named Sarah is so much of an issue. I know 17.3 has a code name of Rosa. However, in my former life as a Product Manager, both our hardware and software projects had code names that were for internal reference during development only. Code names were meant to be used within our company, as often the exact release was not determined until after alpha and beta testing was done.
For example, the release in the field might be 11.4.7 and we were working on a release code named Chicago (I am making these examples up and these are not actual releases from any company I worked for, nor are they intended to represent actual products, current,past or future, at any company I know of.). When a product like Chicago were released to the public, it was released as a product with a nice trademarked name. If the software was separable from the hardware, it was released with a number following the near industry-wide custom of major releases bumping the number to the left of the first decimal point, minor releases bumping the number after the first decimal point and bug-fix releases bumping the letter to the right of the second decimal point. Thus the first public release of the product we had code-named Chicago might have been 12.0.6.
When I first installed Mint as a dual boot with my Windows 7, to try it out a couple of months ago, it was called Mint 17.3 Rosa. When I built my "new" machine with some new parts and some parts "inherited" from my brother, I grabbed the latest ISO to make my bootable thumb drive. My newly loaded system still says Rosa, and yet there are [minor] differences between this version and the previous version. Is it possible that there is a "newer" 17.3? How would I know?
While I would like to know the answer to the question of different versions of Rosa existing (meaning 17.3.x), the foregoing little tale of my two installations of Rosa is actually in support of using Sarah as development name. Sarah could even be the name by which 18.0.x is released. If the first Sarah 18 that is sent to beta is perfect and no changes are needed, the general release of Sarah should be 18.0. But if the first alphas and betas are not perfect, then the first general release should be something like 18.0.x.
Please give me adequate time to duck before the bullets start to fly. In my defense, I am a Product Manager at heart, but one who wants to see Linux take over as the OS for folks who are tired of MS. However, I am also interested in taking the mystery out of Linux, so that anybody that wants to make a little effort can make the switch to Linux and I think Mint/Cinnamon may be the yellow brick road to the right OZ. I mean OS.

Peace and Linux to all,
Skayell
jeanpaulberes

Post by jeanpaulberes »

Dear Sir, Madam,
Will there be an upgrade/transition possibility to get to Linux Mint 18 as it was from Linux Mint 17.x to Linux Mint 17.x+1 ?
Kind regards,
JP BERES
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Clem said that they're looking at an upgrade path and he hopes it will work... but there's no guarantees as of yet. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

skayell wrote:I am also interested in taking the mystery out of Linux, so that anybody that wants to make a little effort can make the switch to Linux and I think Mint/Cinnamon may be the yellow brick road to the right OZ. I mean OS.
Ha! Skayell, you have a way with words, for sure.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

skayell wrote:I am hoping someone in the know can help me out with why Linux Mint 18 being code named Sarah is so much of an issue.
Rule is supposed to be a feminine name ending by a. Here it ends by h. :wink:
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

To answer one of your questions, Linux 17.3 Rosa is the last before Sarah 18.0 is released. The difference you see in 17.3 is some security updates, and minor improvements, like ie. in Cinnamon DE If you load 17.3 from an ISO you would see a lot of updates, to bring it up to speed. But there is no, 17.3.1 for example. !7, Quana, 17.1 Rebcca, 17.2 Rafaela, 17.3 Rosa, are based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. The big difference, is major upgrades to Kernel version, Mint tool upgrades, DE version upgrades. Thus, they receive there own ISO's. Welcome to the world of Linux, it is not like MS, that is for sure.
PraesesZA

Post by PraesesZA »

Any idea which Kernel will be used for 18?
Also, how far are we from a beta build? :D
minemax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by minemax »

PraesesZA wrote:Any idea which Kernel will be used for 18?
It looks like it's gonna be 4.4.0 (the one fixed for ubuntu 16.04).

I can't wait for the Sarah to be released. :D
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

minemax wrote:I can't wait for the Sarah to be released. :D
I can. After all Rosa works fine. Doesn't mean I'm not keen to see the changes...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
minemax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by minemax »

Moem wrote:After all Rosa works fine.
That's true!
PraesesZA

Post by PraesesZA »

minemax wrote:
PraesesZA wrote:Any idea which Kernel will be used for 18?
It looks like it's gonna be 4.4.0 (the one fixed for ubuntu 16.04).

I can't wait for the Sarah to be released. :D
Cool thanks.

Likewise :)
Terryphi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Terryphi »

It has been suggested that the use of snap packaging in Ubuntu 16.04 will pose a security risk to desktop users. Will this risk be present in Linux Mint 18?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-expe ... rity-risk/

EDIT I see that this specific issue has been raised in another thread. Best to continue discussion there.
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=220891
Last edited by Terryphi on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
konjad

Post by konjad »

Kernel 4.4.0 has issues with my hardware (detects internal disks as external and there is no way to change it, even if I edit fstab), so I guess it is another reason for me to stay with 17 for a long time.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Right now 17.3 Cinnamon is by far the best OS I have ever had so I am going to ride this horse as long as I can. I don't know maybe in 2019 it will be time for a new rig and I will have to go to 18 - I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
spacemadness

Post by spacemadness »

Hey Guys, any update on the current ETA for Mint 18? I know that it's been estimated at May/June for a while, but now that May is 1 week away, could we get a little bit more specific? I'd like to request a better estimate because I'm waiting on Mint 18 to get my new system up and running (it requires the new kernel to work). I don't care if a more specific estimate later slips -- I'd just like to know a specific date so I can best plan my upcoming new system project. :D

Thanks.
konjad

Post by konjad »

spacemadness wrote:Hey Guys, any update on the current ETA for Mint 18? I know that it's been estimated at May/June for a while, but now that May is 1 week away, could we get a little bit more specific? I'd like to request a better estimate because I'm waiting on Mint 18 to get my new system up and running (it requires the new kernel to work). I don't care if a more specific estimate later slips -- I'd just like to know a specific date so I can best plan my upcoming new system project. :D

Thanks.
End of May or early June for MATE and Cinnamon, end of June or early July for KDE.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

spacemadness wrote:I'd just like to know a specific date so I can best plan my upcoming new system project.
When it's ready.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

spacemadness wrote:I'd just like to know a specific date so I can best plan my upcoming new system project.
Even when the beta version comes out, you cannot get a specific date. The beta version may or may not come in May.
But you can plan, that you have after the release of LM 18 at least 9 months time for upgrading (if you have LM 13), probably nearly 3 years (on all LM 17 variants).
mentha scholasticus

Post by mentha scholasticus »

Looking forward to Sarah!

A couple of requests (I think others would like these as well): Since KDE is upgrading to plasma 5, please ensure support for DreamDesktop (super cool, but doesn't work on current KDE), or maybe just ensure native support for custom video wallpaper. I have a Hypnotoad GIF I desperately want as an animated wallpaper, ('cause I want to be even more of a nerd) but I can't get it to work on 17.3.

Thanks Clem and everyone else on the project!

[ discussion about Xeon processors moved to viewtopic.php?f=18&t=221734 ]
elise_s1

Post by elise_s1 »

so it's May... since yesterday :D
any chance to see baby Sarah kicking into life in the next days? 8)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”