Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Post by clem »

The Dark Side

Re: Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Post by The Dark Side »

Congratulations to the Linux Mint Team, given that you think it's going to be an advance that of this version. Only there are two things that I do not like.....

1) Please, Please, consider to have a useful and valid alternative to Systemd how boot system. Actually, I think Systemd it is not being up to no good in the Linux ecosystem. I think I will keep in Linux Mint 17.3 provided that it me works very well

2) I hate at all, the name "Sarah". Reminds me of my worst teacher I had in school :( :( , reminds me of a really upset ex-girlfriend :x :evil: and reminds me of Sarah Jessica Parker (which really not stand her, really, I do not support it). Regards.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

The Dark Side wrote:2) I hate at all, the name "Sarah"
I guess, Swanhilda would be better?
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
helloimustbegoing

Post by helloimustbegoing »

Linux Mint 18 is estimated to be released around May/June 2016.
I assume that means the beta? Or the final (stable) release? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

"around" means, that no date is fixed, not for the beta or for the final release.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

I consider "Sarah" a very beautiful name. And the first person who came to my mind when I read the name "Sarah" was not an actress whose fan I am not or a German politician whose points of view I do not really share, but a really beautiful young lady whom I know. So, guess what: My vote will be in favour of "Sarah". A very good choice for a name that will be with us for 5 years. :D
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

In German we say: names are sound and smoke (Schall und Rauch). Not the name is, what I am interested in, but the interior. (Just with any humans, women and men. :wink: )
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<Leo on> What's in a name? - Names are all smoke and mirrors. </Leo off>
<karl on> But there is nothing wrong with giving a nice nickname to a new Mint LTS release, either. </karl off>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

I quite like the name Sarah. :)

What I wouldn't like, is using male names. With the exception of "Pjotr", of course (Linux Mint 19 Pjotr would have my full support). :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Pjotr wrote:I quite like the name Sarah. :)

What I wouldn't like, is using male names. With the exception of "Pjotr", of course (Linux Mint 19 Pjotr would have my full support). :mrgreen:
Hey--what happened to "Fred"? Linux Mint Fred--I rather like it! Maybe after Mint Zaza... Zebra... Zilda... Zzzz ??? Clem will start over from the top and I'll have my own release. :) Though I wouldn't like male names (except for mine, of course) either.

Anyhow, 100% support for Mint "Sarah" here! Beautiful name!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
fu-sen

Post by fu-sen »

"Princess Sarah" is the animation, which is manufactured in Japan:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Sarah

but this Japanese name is "セーラ" (similar to the "Sailor")

Therefore, I made sure the reading of the name in the IRC.
As a result, I have to understand that it was named in only general female name.
Therefore, it is of the normal reading in the name of "サラ" spread to Japan users.
Last edited by fu-sen on Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ark987

Post by Ark987 »

Why nobody mention Sarah Connor.....? Ok I just did it, OK! great... :oops:
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Fred Barclay wrote:
Pjotr wrote:I quite like the name Sarah. :)

Hey--what happened to "Fred"? Linux Mint Fred--I rather like it! Maybe after Mint Zaza... Zebra... Zilda... Zzzz ??? Clem will start over from the top and I'll have my own release. :) Though I wouldn't like male names (except for mine, of course) either.

Anyhow, 100% support for Mint "Sarah" here! Beautiful name!
Stop using peoples' names for releases is my vote, if anyone asks.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Did anybody note already: This is to my remembrance the first main edition, where the last letter is not A (although the last vocal sounds so).
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Cosmo. wrote:Did anybody note already: This is to my remembrance the first main edition, where the last letter is not A (although the last vocal sounds so).
You're right (unless you count the LMDE releases):
http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
H.Remedy

Post by H.Remedy »

Ok, you guys keep talking about Sarah. Am I the only one who had a little moment of joy when he saw the words "Linux Mint 18" posted here this morning? :D Can't wait!
helloimustbegoing

Post by helloimustbegoing »

Cosmo wrote:
Did anybody note already: This is to my remembrance the first main edition, where the last letter is not A (although the last vocal sounds so).
Maybe they'll change it to the alternate spelling, Sara, before it comes out.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I like the name, but also the possibility to upgrade from 17.3 to 18 which shows the wisdom of Mint sticking to the stable LTS base for that ability.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

helloimustbegoing wrote: Maybe they'll change it to the alternate spelling, Sara, before it comes out.
Oh, I hope not... :) I like it just as it is.
Though of course, any naming decisions are ultimately Clem's perogative. ;)
- Albert Einstein
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Cosmo. wrote:In German we say: names are sound and smoke (Schall und Rauch). Not the name is, what I am interested in, but the interior. (Just with any humans, women and men. :wink: )
What he said.
helloimustbegoing wrote:Maybe they'll change it to the alternate spelling, Sara, before it comes out.
And what he said !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58JOocfMp10
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Releases & Announcements”