Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
killer de bug

Re: Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Post by killer de bug »

Pjotr wrote:100 % is the maximum.
This is a misconception. That's simply not true.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

MtnDewManiac wrote:placing that .ISO into my grub(2?) menu so that I could boot to it just like I normally would with any linux setup that was actually installed in a partition.
I had originally wanted to do this because my laptop's optical drive is pooched and it has NO provision for booting from a USB device or memory card.
I guess that I will need to find that thread this month so that I can upgrade to Mint 18 next month
MDM
:arrow: viewtopic.php?p=846103?p=846103#p846103
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Thanks, austin.texas. There's actually a thread around here somewhere that I posted in. I had some issues, you see :lol: . Someone (or maybe several someones) helped me get through the process. Whatever I ended up doing, it finally worked great. Having the downloaded .ISO appear as just another entry in the grub menu is awesome. In my specific setup, I have two partitions (plus the cache, of course), with a version of Mint in each. I am currently mainly using the second, and that is where the .ISO is. I can, therefore, boot into that .ISO (from the grub menu) and choose to install Mint (it's a Mint .ISO) onto the first partition - and that is what I did. After Mint 18 Xfce is released, I intend to download it, check to make sure that it is a bit-for-bit copy of the original, and then replace the .ISO that I currently have so that I can then use the new one to install Mint 18 on partition #1. I would like to then be able to place that .ISO on partition #1 (which will, at that time, be Mint 18) so that I could boot to it and use it to install Mint 18 on partition #2. Unfortunately, I have a large amount of data on partition #2, much more than will fit on partition #1 - so I cannot simply move it to that partition in order to "free up" partition #2. I... I do not know what to do in that regard. I suppose that, IF Clem provides us with an upgrade mechanism to turn Mint 17 into Mint 18, that I will try that. I would rather figure out how to do a fresh install to partition #2 without destroying the data I have on it.

Hmm... I could create a new directory on partition #2, then move all of my data into it. That would get it out of my /home/user/{directory names} directories. But the installation process formats the destination partition, doesn't it? Is there a way that I could manually delete every directory on that partition except for a "mydata" folder, and then perform a fresh Mint 18 installation without formatting or otherwise deleting that data folder? At that point, I guess I could then move the data to my new home directory?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

MtnDewManiac wrote: Hmm... I could create a new directory on partition #2, then move all of my data into it. That would get it out of my /home/user/{directory names} directories. But the installation process formats the destination partition, doesn't it? Is there a way that I could manually delete every directory on that partition except for a "mydata" folder, and then perform a fresh Mint 18 installation without formatting or otherwise deleting that data folder? At that point, I guess I could then move the data to my new home directory?
Regards,
MDM
Give me a few minutes, and I will try that and see how it works out... :wink:
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

No problem...
I am using Mint 18 on sda5.
I copied the Mint .iso file to my /boot folder on sda5.
I opened /boot/grub/grub.cfg in my text editor, and went to the section that said:

Code: Select all

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
I changed that to:

menuentry "Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon iso" {
set isofile="/boot/linuxmint-18-cinnamon-64bit-beta.iso"
loopback loop (hd0,gpt5)$isofile
linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject toram
initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}
Where it says "menuentry" you can write anything you want inside the "quote" marks.
Where it says "set isofile" change it to the correct name of the file.
Where it says "(hd0,gpt5)" - that is my sda5. If you have the .iso file on sda1, change it to (hd0,gpt1) if you have GPT partitioning. If you have msdos partitioning, change it to (hd0,msdos1)

Before installing, I put some files and folders on sda6 to see what would happen to them.

I rebooted, and chose my "Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon iso" menuentry. I installed Mint 18 to sda6, without formatting sda6.
You will get a popup asking if you want to unmount the mounted partitions - answer NO.
You will get a warning about resizing the / partition that you are installing to - click BACK, do not click OK.

After installation, my personal folders, 2016NewMexico and TEST/Linux were still there, safe and sound.

[image]http://i.imgur.com/XfApeKQ.png[/image]
Linux Linx 2018
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Thank you!

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Mint4MyMind

Post by Mint4MyMind »

When will "Sarah" come in KDE-Style? :)
Bitnet

Post by Bitnet »

Hello everyone,
I would like to know, when is Mint 18 KDE Schedule for release? thank you in advance.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Bitnet wrote:I would like to know, when is Mint 18 KDE Schedule for release? thank you in advance.
As with all flavors of Mint, the answer to your question would be, "When it is ready," lol. The two architecture versions of Mint 18 Xfce have been approved for beta release. At some point - likely soon, within a week or possibly two - an Xfce flavor .ISO will be approved for general release. Then the KDE flavor will go through the same process. So... My guess is that you are looking at a month, maybe a little less (and possibly a little longer). But that is just a slightly wild guess from someone who has NO inside information.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

Bitnet

Post by Bitnet »

thanks for you quick reply. thats good to know. looking forward to the beta release :) . Once again thank you and take care.

-Bitnet
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

austin.texas wrote:
MtnDewManiac wrote:placing that .ISO into my grub(2?) menu so that I could boot to it just like I normally would with any linux setup that was actually installed in a partition.
I had originally wanted to do this because my laptop's optical drive is pooched and it has NO provision for booting from a USB device or memory card.
I guess that I will need to find that thread this month so that I can upgrade to Mint 18 next month
MDM
:arrow: viewtopic.php?p=846103?p=846103#p846103
I just attempted to install Mint 18 Xfce. I placed the .ISO into the /grml directory. I ran the command to update grub, grub2, whichever Mint uses. I restarted the computer, and chose the entry for the Mint 18 Xfce .ISO. It booted. So far, so good...

I then connected to a Wifi, in case the installer needed it...

Then I ran the installer. Am I misremembering, or did the user used to be able to maximize that thing so that he/she didn't have to sit with their nose 4" from the display in order to read any of the text?

But I could NOT maximize it, or even resize it. So I scooted my chair as close as I could and leaned way over. And squinted...

But I was still completely unable to install the distro!

I have sda1, sda6, and sda5. sda1 is Mint 17.1. sda6 is Mint 17. sda5 is my cache partition. The grub, /grml, all that stuff are in Mint 17. So I placed the Mint 18 .ISO in the Mint 17 (sda6) partition. This is what I did when I wanted to install Mint 17.1 to the first (sda1) partition. In fact, the Mint 17.1 Xfce .ISO is still in that directory.

The installer told me something about my partition being mounted. But the partition that I am wanting to install to isn't. I suppose that sda6 is - since that's where the .ISO is parked, and I'm running that. It asked me if I wanted it to unmount it. I forget which choice is which, but the first one I chose wouldn't allow me to set the options to format sda1 and select a mount point (from within the thing that appears when you click on Change). The second (other) one I chose allowed me to do both of those things, but then just sat there with a busy cursor when it was time to actually install the distro. I gave it several minutes (and when I used this same method for installing Mint 17.1 to the same partition, several minutes was all the time that it took to perform the complete installation).

Can someone help me, please? The only way I have to install distros is via the grml method.

Thank you,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

MtnDewManiac wrote: The installer told me something about my partition being mounted. But the partition that I am wanting to install to isn't. I suppose that sda6 is - since that's where the .ISO is parked, and I'm running that. It asked me if I wanted it to unmount it. I forget which choice is which, but the first one I chose wouldn't allow me to set the options to format sda1 and select a mount point (from within the thing that appears when you click on Change).
When you try to install with grml, you will get the popup warning that you have mounted partitions, and you do have to chose "NO, do not unmount"
And, as you noted, this does not always solve the problem. If you made any change to any partition, the installer will insist on creating a new partition table, and refuse to proceed if you have a mounted partition. If you get a popup regarding a new partition size, click BACK, not OK.
After that, there is another potential hurtle - the swap partition. If nothing else works, you might have to completely delete your swap partition before installing, and don't create one during installation.
It is not that difficult to create a swap partition after the installation is complete, and add it to your fstab.
The next thing you will have to do, if all that fails, is put the Mint.iso on a flash drive, and use grub to boot that. That is a completely different procedure from using grml. :arrow: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1849
But that eliminates the partition table problem, since no partition on the hard drive is mounted.
Last edited by austin.texas on Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Linx 2018
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I did not have these problems last time. And I placed the previous .ISO in the same directory as I did this time, ran the same grub update command as I did this time, and installed the distro to the same partition as I am TRYING to install it to this time.

I cannot afford to buy a new computer that has a working DVD drive, or even buy a flash drive.
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Your situation might be one of the few cases where the in-place upgrade to Mint 18 would be useful.
Linux Linx 2018
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I just performed the "pretend upgrade," by following Clem's instructions. The list of issues (things that would be removed, et cetera) seemed huge :cry: .

I am looking at the "Boot a Mint .iso From Your Hard Drive Using Grub2 - with no DVD or USB" tutorial that you linked to. Thanks for creating it, by the way. This laptop has six gigabytes of RAM. Is this enough to use the toram option? That seems to be what I need.

I just finished looking at your tutorial. I have so many questions and uncertainties that, instead of typing 30,000 characters, I can just save us both a lot of time by typing: I do not understand ANY of that! That's what I'm going to go with because I want to keep this post as short as possible. This would not be an issue if it was a simple cut and paste. But everything is different. My configuration file doesn't end anything like what you stated it should in the tutorial, which kind of pooches it right from the start when I'm supposed to change something that isn't even like it. I kind of feel like I've been instructed to go to a certain location, cut down the oak tree there, chop it up into pieces, plane them, sand them, and build a dining room table out of them. (Note: I'm going to ASSUME that all the instructions are correct.) But then I get to the location and, instead of an oka tree, there's a PINE tree. Am I supposed to go ahead and use it, and everything will be okay? Or go to some undisclosed location where I will find the oak tree? Or... IDK!!!

So I can't just copy and paste. I'm sure your tutorial is just fabulous for everyone who has been to computer college, but for people that just went to high school (decades ago) and then experienced all the joys of a TBI and never recovered 100% and now have learning/comprehension issues... I can't... I can't look at stuff - that I have not learned before and then used it over and over and over in different ways/situations - and figure out how to apply that to completely different situations. Like, IDK, when we were kids being explained things to us? And we just had to know WHY? and as much of a pain it as was for our parents, they went ahead and told us why so that we'd be able to use the knowledge in situations other than the that they described. But for me now there's no point in aksing why, because I can't make the leaps any more. I struggle through and people don't notice at least on line where there's no big pauses gaps in my talking because you don't see them in messages. That's on a good day. Exhaustion stress upset and things aren't so good.

So I gave up on that part of the turotial and thought I'd just do the type in stuff at the grub prompt. But it's got all these "You have to do this but no it doesn't work like that me I had to do it some other way" that is hopeless for people what don't already know what you're talking about. Can you dumb it down to normal, please?I got Mint 18 Xfce .ISO and its in my /boot/gmrl directory but I can move it to the boot/ directory, it's no problem. I have three partitions. Last one is cache for all linux, its sda5. Middle one is THIS linux where I'm using right now to type all this and everyday, and it is where the .ISO is, it's sda6 and no I know it doesn't make any sense they're backwards but I didn't do it the thing did. The first partition is the one I'm wanting to put install 18 on, and it's sda1. I don't have sda2, sda3, or sda4. But I have had all kinds of trouble installing partitioning figuring stuff out before even when the DVD drive worked so maybe they represent some of my failures. Anyway there arent present. I tried upgrade to the first partition before, it was Mint Xfce 17.1 and I tried to upgrade it to Mint Xfce 17.3 but it got all borked up, plus I had screwed it up a bunch before because every time I turned around I got updates that told me to pick whether I wanted to keep the old config or switch to the new and I didn't know as there's no help with it so I sometimes picked yes and some times picked no I think, whatever I thought at the time. It's a mess. I need to get 18 in it's place so I can test try it out and see if it works okay and all then I can see about trying to worry about figureoing out how to upgrade the one in the middle partition that I use everyday (I'll have to go through all of this again with only putting the .ISO on the first partition instead, I know I'm all stressed out thinking about it but that'll give me all the new kernels and stuff like normal instead of the upgrade that doesn't. AFTER I can get it installed into the fist partition so I can spend about a week trying it out in its installed and updateable/updated form to make SURE it works for me with no bad issues. I knew long time ago to have not one but TWO linuxes going at the same time, that way if you kill one you can use the other to get online and ask for help about it. Or like now you can install next version and make sure it's okay without having to take the chance with your only linux).

It says in your thing that changes aren't permanent that they get put back out when you sudo update-grub. That's fine. It's even great. I only need things to be like the new way once. Or maybe five or ten times, whatever just enough for me to get through the installation. I don't have a lot of room on my hard drive on the partition I'm using every day anyway so having a bunch of copies of the same .ISO instead of the just one I keep in the /Downloads/Linux ISOs and DEBs directory is wasteful. So that's no problem.

You're pretty smart, would it help if I added my .config? For you to figure out what I should be putting at the end of my file or wherever (my end and your example is not same)? Or to know EXACTLY what I need to type into the grub if I want to do it that way (might be safer IDK)? I just definitely need it to try to load into _RAM_so I can turn off the hard drive so the stupid mint installer will work on it this time. I have been not happy all this time because my two linux partitions are so different sized but it's good now because I ought to be able to tell which is which in the installer, lol. The little one or the huge one. (TI?NY one is the cache, I know.)

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
  set have_grubenv=true
  load_env
fi
if [ "${next_entry}" ] ; then
   set default="${next_entry}"
   set next_entry=
   save_env next_entry
   set boot_once=true
else
   set default="0"
fi

if [ x"${feature_menuentry_id}" = xy ]; then
  menuentry_id_option="--id"
else
  menuentry_id_option=""
fi

export menuentry_id_option

if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
  set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
  save_env saved_entry
  set prev_saved_entry=
  save_env prev_saved_entry
  set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
  if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
    saved_entry="${chosen}"
    save_env saved_entry
  fi
}
function recordfail {
  set recordfail=1
  if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
}
function load_video {
  if [ x$feature_all_video_module = xy ]; then
    insmod all_video
  else
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod ieee1275_fb
    insmod vbe
    insmod vga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
  fi
}

if [ x$feature_default_font_path = xy ] ; then
   font=unicode
else
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='hd0,msdos6'
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos6 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos6 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos6  4afcb4a2-7ccd-4562-8dd9-1902a53dc96a
else
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 4afcb4a2-7ccd-4562-8dd9-1902a53dc96a
fi
    font="/usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2"
fi

if loadfont $font ; then
  set gfxmode=auto
  load_video
  insmod gfxterm
  set locale_dir=$prefix/locale
  set lang=en_US
  insmod gettext
fi
terminal_output gfxterm
if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ] ; then
  set timeout=30
else
  if [ x$feature_timeout_style = xy ] ; then
    set timeout_style=menu
    set timeout=10
  # Fallback normal timeout code in case the timeout_style feature is
  # unavailable.
  else
    set timeout=10
  fi
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='hd0,msdos6'
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos6 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos6 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos6  4afcb4a2-7ccd-4562-8dd9-1902a53dc96a
else
fi
insmod png
if background_image /boot/grub/Background2.png; then
  true
else
  set menu_color_normal=white/black
  set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/06_mint_theme ###
set menu_color_normal=white/black
set menu_color_highlight=white/light-gray
### END /etc/grub.d/06_mint_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
function gfxmode {
	set gfxpayload="$1"
	if [ "$1" = "keep" ]; then
		set vt_handoff=vt.handoff=7
	else
		set vt_handoff=
	fi
}
if [ ${recordfail} != 1 ]; then
  if [ -e ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt ]; then
    if hwmatch ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt 3; then
      if [ ${match} = 0 ]; then
        set linux_gfx_mode=keep
      else
        set linux_gfx_mode=text
      fi
    else
      set linux_gfx_mode=text
    fi
  else
    set linux_gfx_mode=keep
  fi
else
  set linux_gfx_mode=text
fi
export linux_gfx_mode
if [ "$linux_gfx_mode" != "text" ]; then load_video; fi
menuentry 'Linux Mint 17 Xfce 64-bit, 3.13.0-24-generic (/dev/sda6)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
	recordfail
	gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
	insmod gzio
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set root='hd0,msdos6'
	else
	fi
	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic root=UUID=4afcb4a2-7ccd-4562-8dd9-1902a53dc96a ro   quiet splash $vt_handoff
	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic
}
menuentry 'Linux Mint 17 Xfce 64-bit, 3.13.0-24-generic (/dev/sda6) -- recovery mode' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
	recordfail
	insmod gzio
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set root='hd0,msdos6'
	else
	fi
	echo	'Loading Linux 3.13.0-24-generic ...'
	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic root=UUID=4afcb4a2-7ccd-4562-8dd9-1902a53dc96a ro recovery nomodeset 
	echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic
}
### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_lupin ###
### END /etc/grub.d/10_lupin ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
menuentry 'Memory test (memtest86+)' {
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set root='hd0,msdos6'
	else
	fi
	knetbsd	/boot/memtest86+.elf
}
menuentry 'Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)' {
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set root='hd0,msdos6'
	else
	fi
	linux16	/boot/memtest86+.bin console=ttyS0,115200n8
}
### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry 'Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (17.3) (on /dev/sda1)' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-simple-8bcd1084-09fa-47c3-9b55-7662a7e341a6' {
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set root='hd0,msdos1'
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos1  8bcd1084-09fa-47c3-9b55-7662a7e341a6
	else
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 8bcd1084-09fa-47c3-9b55-7662a7e341a6
	fi
	linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.19.0-32-generic root=UUID=8bcd1084-09fa-47c3-9b55-7662a7e341a6 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff
	initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.19.0-32-generic
}
submenu 'Advanced options for Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (17.3) (on /dev/sda1)' $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-advanced-8bcd1084-09fa-47c3-9b55-7662a7e341a6' {
	menuentry 'Linux Mint 17.3 Xfce 64-bit, 3.19.0-32-generic (/dev/sda1) (on /dev/sda1)' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-/boot/vmlinuz-3.19.0-32-generic--8bcd1084-09fa-47c3-9b55-7662a7e341a6' {
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos1'
		  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos1  8bcd1084-09fa-47c3-9b55-7662a7e341a6
		else
		fi
		linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.19.0-32-generic root=UUID=8bcd1084-09fa-47c3-9b55-7662a7e341a6 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff
	}
	menuentry 'Linux Mint 17.3 Xfce 64-bit, 3.19.0-32-generic (/dev/sda1) -- recovery mode (on /dev/sda1)' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-/boot/vmlinuz-3.19.0-32-generic-root=UUID=8bcd1084-09fa-47c3-9b55-7662a7e341a6 ro recovery nomodeset-8bcd1084-09fa-47c3-9b55-7662a7e341a6' {
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos1'
		else
		fi
		linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.19.0-32-generic root=UUID=8bcd1084-09fa-47c3-9b55-7662a7e341a6 ro recovery nomodeset
	}
	menuentry 'Linux Mint 17.3 Xfce 64-bit, 3.13.0-37-generic (/dev/sda1) (on /dev/sda1)' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-/boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-37-generic--8bcd1084-09fa-47c3-9b55-7662a7e341a6' {
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos1'
		else
		fi
		linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-37-generic root=UUID=8bcd1084-09fa-47c3-9b55-7662a7e341a6 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff
		initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-37-generic
	}
	menuentry 'Linux Mint 17.3 Xfce 64-bit, 3.13.0-37-generic (/dev/sda1) -- recovery mode (on /dev/sda1)' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-/boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-37-generic-root=UUID=8bcd1084-09fa-47c3-9b55-7662a7e341a6 ro recovery nomodeset-8bcd1084-09fa-47c3-9b55-7662a7e341a6' {
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos1'
		else
		fi
		linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-37-generic root=UUID=8bcd1084-09fa-47c3-9b55-7662a7e341a6 ro recovery nomodeset
		initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-37-generic
	}
}

set timeout_style=menu
if [ "${timeout}" = 0 ]; then
  set timeout=10
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###
### END /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###

# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
if [ -f  ${config_directory}/custom.cfg ]; then
  source ${config_directory}/custom.cfg
elif [ -z "${config_directory}" -a -f  $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
  source $prefix/custom.cfg;
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/42_grml ###
menuentry "Grml Rescue System (linuxmint-17.1-xfce-64bit.iso)" {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='hd0,msdos6'
        else
        fi
        iso_path="/boot/grml/linuxmint-17.1-xfce-64bit.iso"
        export iso_path
        kernelopts="   "
        export kernelopts
        loopback loop "/boot/grml/linuxmint-17.1-xfce-64bit.iso"
        set root=(loop)
        configfile /boot/grub/loopback.cfg
}
menuentry "Grml Rescue System (linuxmint-18-xfce-64bit.iso)" {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='hd0,msdos6'
        else
        fi
        iso_path="/boot/grml/linuxmint-18-xfce-64bit.iso"
        export iso_path
        kernelopts="   "
        export kernelopts
        loopback loop "/boot/grml/linuxmint-18-xfce-64bit.iso"
        set root=(loop)
}
### END /etc/grub.d/42_grml ###
Whichever way you think is best for me to not screw up anything that I haven't already screwed up. I got laid off a while back and I'd go stir crazy without the computer working. Thank you VERY MUCH! PS I don't think there is personal information in that but if you see any please point it out and I'll remove it. Also I noticed the other day that I get some kind of errors when I do the .ISO boots but after a while it gives up and goes ahead and boots them, so I guess they don't matter. Also, while I've got you here is it okay if I ask you what the importance of naming your computer is? The installer tells you it has to be between I don't remember, say six and thirty characters then it picks a name that's a bunch of gobledeegook that's WAY longer than that so I have to type something else in instead. I don't remember what I put it last time (for either linux!). I thiink I meant to make them both the same but IDK. If I can't remember the right thing to call the linux in that partiton, will I screw something up?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Instead of going through all that at the moment (we will get you there, don't worry), just open your /boot/grub/grub.cfg file in your text editor:

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Go all the way down to the end of the file, where it says

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/42_grml ###
menuentry "Grml Rescue System (linuxmint-17.1-xfce-64bit.iso)" {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='hd0,msdos6'
        else
        fi
        iso_path="/boot/grml/linuxmint-17.1-xfce-64bit.iso"
        export iso_path
        kernelopts="   "
        export kernelopts
        loopback loop "/boot/grml/linuxmint-17.1-xfce-64bit.iso"
        set root=(loop)
}
menuentry "Grml Rescue System (linuxmint-18-xfce-64bit.iso)" {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='hd0,msdos6'
        else
        fi
        iso_path="/boot/grml/linuxmint-18-xfce-64bit.iso"
        export iso_path
        kernelopts="   "
        export kernelopts
        loopback loop "/boot/grml/linuxmint-18-xfce-64bit.iso"
        set root=(loop)
}
### END /etc/grub.d/42_grml ###
Right before that last line in the grub.cfg file ### END /etc/grub.d/42_grml ###, add these lines:

menuentry "Mint 18 xfce 64bit .iso to ram" {
set isofile="/boot/grml/linuxmint-18-xfce-64bit.iso"
loopback loop (hd0,msdos6)$isofile
linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject toram
initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}
Save the file, and exit the editor. DO NOT run sudo update-grub - that will erase your edit.
That menuentry will load your .iso into ram, so that when you get the popup asking if you want to unmount the mounted partitions, you can click YES.
Linux Linx 2018
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Hi Austin,

Thank you for sticking with me here. I was upset and I get a little less than I should be when I am, but that is no excuse. You are a good and helpful person!

I will try as you instructed in your most recent post. Assuming that it works, when I get Mint 18 installed in the first partition, I will remove run the update command to change my grub configuration back to previous.

Continued appreciation,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I used the gksudo modifier to run gedit on my grub configuration file. I added those lines exactly where you instructed me to (via copy & paste). I saved that file, exited gedit, exited the terminal, and exited Firefox. I restarted my computer. The .ISO now had a second entry (at the bottom) in my grub menu, which mentioned something about RAM - so I knew that things seemed to be working as intended. I selected it.

My laptop loaded the Mint 18 Xfce .ISO into RAM, booted it, told me that my hard drive was mounted, and offered to unmount it; I agreed.

I ran the installation application. It took a little longer than I was expecting - most likely because of the additional things (language packs, third-party multimedia things, graphics drivers, etc.) that it had to download from the Internet, unpack, and install. But it was still quicker (by hours, lol?) than one of Microsoft's OS installers. I got to the point where I was asked if I wished to continue testing or restart. I chose the latter - and I was again impressed by your help when my (non-functional) DVD drive did NOT open :wink: .

My grub menu appeared and...

...there was no entry for the OS I had just installed, lol. I noticed that there was still an entry for the OS that previously sat on that partition. I tried it and the computer restarted (could have been a cold reboot, IDK - but I saw the laptop brand's splash screen again) and eventually took me back to the grub menu. This time, I chose THIS OS (Mint 17, my daily one). When I got into it, I ran a terminal and used that grub update command (with sudo modifier). I saw that it "picked up" the installed Mint 18.

I am tentatively going to assume that the installation was a roaring success. Figure several minutes to type in this post, some more minutes for the above plus running Firefox and returning to this thread, subtract the time of your last post in this thread from the time of this post - and then subtract the time of everything (other than the actual installation) that I described in this post, and you'll have an approximation of the time it took me to install from RAM onto my magnetic hard drive on a laptop that is several years old but has six gigabytes of RAM.

THANK YOU!

I'll thrash on Mint 18 Xfce for a while and then probably come back in order to ask you to help me through doing the same thing on my daily-use partition (if that is okay with you).

Kindest regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Glad to help, and glad to hear of your success!
Linux Linx 2018
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

austin.texas wrote:Glad to help, and glad to hear of your success!
As you can see by my signature text... It is working! Thanks again. Some oddness - the fonts (in Firefox) appear to have changed on all my forum webpages - but I tried Firefox Sync for the first time so that I wouldn't have to bother with manually exporting/importing bookmarks, copying the user names and passwords for the website logins, and installing add-ons. Maybe that somehow caused it. And the cpufreq indicator that I have installed and added to my top Xfce panel since Mint 14 is now only showing the options of Performance and Powersave, where before it had not only those plus On Demand and one other one, it also had the actual frequencies from 1.2 gHz all the way up to 2.5 gHz (every 100 mHz) along with a 2.5 gHz "turbo mode" that I never understood. I miss being able to lock it at 1.2 gHz when I was just browsing the web, locking it to 2.0 gHz when I was transferring files (seemed to provide the best throughput), et cetera. But those are subjects for other threads, lol. I will undoubtedly discover other issues like those, fairly minor things (that will still leave me confused :roll: ). But no crashes or anything so far.

I ran the mintUpdate application and downloaded/installed the half-gigabyte of initial updates. Got hit with one of those deals where it wanted to change a configuration file (to Compiz's, this time), and allowed me to view the changes (new vs. old) but gave NO suggestion as to whether I should accept the change or keep the old version. Those really annoy my last nerve! But that's also the subject for another thread - and I'll be sure to remember to create THAT one. Tomorrow, maybe. Got lots of work to do setting up things in the new distro version and it's already late, so I'll just do a few things and then shut it - and myself - down for the night.

Since even the idiot in the room (me) was able to use the "Boot the .ISO from the only hard drive in the computer, load it entirely into RAM, and then install the distro" method - with LOTS of help from you, of course - I think it should be given more publicity. It is even faster than installing from USB (with no "burning" to a flash drive via UNetbootin required) and does not waste a DVD, either. It seems better than the upgrade-in-place method to me, and works even when the user managed to screw things up (whereas the upgrade probably wouldn't have).

And now my distro (version) is supported until 2021. 8)

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”