Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
vdeane
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Post by vdeane »

I can run a lot of day to day stuff off my Windows 7 laptop, but that does NOT solve the problem of how to keep my website online. It's 13 GB in size - way too large for any USB stick I own, so I can't even transfer it to Windows temporarily (my external hard drives use Linux formatting to preserve permissions).

I thought I'd have more time when my case fan "fixed itself" yesterday, but then it had the issue again this morning for at least two hours. Definitely considering it an unpredictable fire hazard that shouldn't be left on when I'm out of the apartment.
njp

Post by njp »

bash64 wrote:All went well for me. I run a complex mint 17.3 setup.
I am running mint 18 with few issues.
I did have a huge issue getting booted using upstart, but I have a procedure for that now.
If anyone wants a copy of the procedure I can post it.
You can boot the old init or upstart with it.
I would greatly appreciate a guide on switching to upstart in Mint 18.
Dupo

Post by Dupo »

Hi everybody,

do you know when the final version will be release ? This week ?

It takes too many times.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Dupo wrote: It takes too many times.
:shock: According to whom?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Dupo wrote:do you know when the final version will be release ?
Yes :!:
Precisely: When it is ready :idea:
vdeane
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vdeane »

I suppose a better question for Dupo to have asked is if there are any estimates. I know I've been waiting with baited breath; my website's been down a whole week now since I stopped trusting that computer to not be a fire hazard (not that the Windows laptop I'm using in the interim is much better; parts of it get physically too hot to handle after an hour or two of use) and I'm waiting on the final Mint 18 release to be out so I can set up the new one (why computers always fail on me before I can get their replacements running, I don't know).
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

For people who really can't wait, there's always the bèta. I don't see the problem....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
vdeane
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vdeane »

Personally, I don't feel like installing something, moving all files over, setting up Apache/PHP/MySQL, installing applications, etc. and then doing the same thing all over again a week or two later (I imagine moving off the beta would be more like moving from 17 to 17.1 than just running a package update, if it's even possible, and I don't trust OS upgrades; did it once with Ubuntu and it was a disaster).
blackcarajillo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blackcarajillo »

I run the beta, no issues at all. Just install it if you feel like. Really. It will be released shortly anyway.

Ubuntu is also already released. The package base is the same, except maybe Cinnamon.
vdeane
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vdeane »

Do you intend to run the beta for the entire life of your computer? As I said, I don't trust OS upgrades (after a VERY bad experience with Ubuntu 10.10 that resulted in my keyboard and mouse becoming unuseable and having to reinstall 9.10 from disk; fortunately, there was nothing important on that computer), and I don't have the time or inclination to do multiple OS reinstalls. Setting up Apache is a PITA; invariably, the configuration is completely different and requires a whole evening of debugging. In any case, I've hated Ubuntu ever since the switch to Unity, and I despise Gnome 3 as well.

If the laptop heat gets bad enough, there's always my Chromebook. Aside from my website, which is offline until Mint 18 comes out in any case, the only thing I need most of the time is Chrome.

I'm not sure if I'd call the release of Mint 18 "soon". There's no indication that it will be out at any time in the next two weeks, especially since there's been no further information released since the beta came out. Unless the dev process has changed, we have to go through multiple release candidates as well, a whole week for each. And in a couple days, Mint 18 will make history as the latest release (even after I would have thought it would be out by now, based on prior release history, with end of May as typical, not end of July).
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

vdeane wrote:Personally, I don't feel like installing something, moving all files over, setting up Apache/PHP/MySQL, installing applications, etc. and then doing the same thing all over again a week or two later (I imagine moving off the beta would be more like moving from 17 to 17.1 than just running a package update, if it's even possible, and I don't trust OS upgrades; did it once with Ubuntu and it was a disaster).
Just apply all ordinary updates whenever they become available, and the bèta will automatically be identical to the final on its release date. :)
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Softpedia reporting that release is imminent (finger crossed)

http://news.softpedia.com/news/linux-mi ... 5756.shtml
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

OMG!!! Not announced yet but indeed up on (some of) the mirrors!

Beta to Stable in 3 weeks! NICELY DONE MINT DEV TEAM - KUDOS TO YOU 1 AND ALL :!: :!: :!: :mrgreen:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
mottechy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mottechy »

will I be able to upgrade from 17.3 to 18 through update manager?
Looking forward for it.! :D
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

mottechy wrote:will I be able to upgrade from 17.3 to 18 through update manager?
Yes, but I advise against it. The leap is simply too big. Only upgrading within a series (e.g. from 17.2 to 17.3) is really safe, because the Ubuntu LTS codebase remains the same.

So I advise to do a clean upgrade: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/9
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Lancro wrote:Im dissapointed with this "release" as it seems it havent solved the nvidia issues.
Spoken too soon.... You should always allow for an initial period of "teething troubles". For any release of any operating system on the face of this tired mother earth of ours. :mrgreen:
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

Pjotr wrote:
vdeane wrote:Personally, I don't feel like installing something, moving all files over, setting up Apache/PHP/MySQL, installing applications, etc. and then doing the same thing all over again a week or two later (I imagine moving off the beta would be more like moving from 17 to 17.1 than just running a package update, if it's even possible, and I don't trust OS upgrades; did it once with Ubuntu and it was a disaster).
Just apply all ordinary updates whenever they become available, and the bèta will automatically be identical to the final on its release date. :)
That is good to know. I have been running the Beta for awhile now, and have been applying the many updates. I had not realized that the Beta would ultimately "become" the Stable Mint 18 at some point. So, for Beta users, there is zero benefit to a clean installation of the Stable Mint 18 if we have been applying all of the updates? That's pretty cool.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Barbados99 wrote:So, for Beta users, there is zero benefit to a clean installation of the Stable Mint 18 if we have been applying all of the updates?
Exactly. :)

Note that I advise to enable the third and most invasive update policy, for this to happen. After the release of Mint 18 final, you can always step back to another, more cautious update policy.
sikejsudjek

Post by sikejsudjek »

I wondered why there weren't any updates to the beta today :D Glad its coming out as stable. I'm using a gtx 750ti on a skylake system and its working ok when I boot up.

Its been very, very stable for me. I've been using it for my work on three systems.

Minor problem with having to update the language for UK spell check in Libreoffice, but that might not be OS related. sudo apt-get install myspell-en-gb fixed it if anyone else has this problem.
rockhazard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rockhazard »

Taking into account that there's no announcement as of this post, the primary mirror's sig file isn't working. Gpg gives me a "Can't check signature: public key not found" error, even though the same public key is supposedly used for the beta. I've imported the Mint ISO public key, and the sig file for the beta ISOs checks just fine (that was a while ago and still works now). To be clear, this isn't about the integrity of the ISOs, but the signature file (sha256sum.txt.gpg).

I did open the gpg file in a text editor to check for corruption (that was negative), and the sum file checked agains the ISOs.

I followed the instructions found here: https://linuxmint.com/verify.php
For the sig file found here: https://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/linuxmint.com/

I'm open to the idea that I did something silly, but I don't see how, given that the beta sigfile works with the beta ISOs on (apparently) the same public key as the stable ISOs. Am I missing something?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”