Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Dupo

Re: Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Post by Dupo »

Hi everybody,

do you know when the upgrade from Linux Mint 17.3 to Linux Mint 18 will be available ?

For the July month ?
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Dupo wrote:Hi everybody,

do you know when the upgrade from Linux Mint 17.3 to Linux Mint 18 will be available ?

For the July month ?
I expect that the Dev Team will first iron out any problems with the LM18 Cinnamon and Mate ISOs and get to a final release of LM18 Cin & Mate 32 and 64 bit. I then expect them to turn their attention to the KDE and XFCE versions. Once those versions are finalized, I expect them to then turn their attention to creating an easy upgrade path. My guess would be to not expect an easy upgrade path before about 7 weeks from now. Exactly how long it will take depends on luck or the lack thereof and that is unpredictable...

NOTE: I do not speak for the Dev Team. My speculations are based on my memory of how this has happened with recent releases.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Dupo wrote:do you know when the upgrade from Linux Mint 17.3 to Linux Mint 18 will be available ?

For the July month ?
An upgrade path is expected and planned, but not yet confirmed. In the past an inline upgrade was available after the release of the final build. As nobody can definitely say, how long the beta phase will take, the answer for the next step is at now impossible. (Speculations are allowed, but they are just that.)

As this would be the first inline upgrade for a major release change I wonder, if also this has to go through an own beta phase; but also this is just speculation.

There is only one thing sure: It will not come, before it is ready and also not later than that.
bash64
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bash64 »

Where can I download the official beta iso images for mint 18?
I am seeing at least one website offering the downloads.
Is this safe? :
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: no links when the release is not officially out
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Upgrade Monkeys!

Only thing missing the the bell and the dog, saliva is plentiful.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

bash64 wrote:Where can I download the official beta iso images for mint 18?
I am seeing at least one website offering the downloads.
Is this safe? :
I believe that most of the official mirrors have it. At least this is true for the USA mirrors although some have not caught up yet...
Habitual wrote:Upgrade Monkeys!... Only thing missing the the bell and the dog, saliva is plentiful.
Keen observation Dr. Pavlov! Although I would call them (us) experimentation / curiosity monkeys!!! :lol:
Last edited by Reorx on Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
danbar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by danbar »

What about Linux Mint 19? It will start with a T. How about Tamara?
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

As long as there is no announcement, these iso may be changed. A critical issue may be detected on these iso. Therefore if you use them, this is at your own risks.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

danbar wrote:What about Linux Mint 19? It will start with a T. How about Tamara?
Linux Mint 19 will be in 2 years. There is plenty of time to think about this small detail. :wink:
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

bash64 wrote:Is this safe? :
No, not until it is officially announced. Draw your conclusion out of the fact, that is not yet done.
And only after the announcement it is time to report found bugs. That is the purpose of betas.
George99

Post by George99 »

So I've switched to Sarah, too. So far, everything works fine. Great work guys! :D
dancingdog777

Post by dancingdog777 »

danbar wrote:What about Linux Mint 19? It will start with a T. How about Tamara?

Or how about T' Missus!
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

Habitual wrote:Upgrade Monkeys!

Only thing missing the the bell and the dog, saliva is plentiful.
Well this may be true to some degree, but I for one am glad that folks are testing this and (hopefully) reporting any issues found to the devs.

Benefits all of us really, if users are keen. I won't be installing until the final release, so please get reporting those bugs people!
quatzar

Post by quatzar »

I'm downloading as I write. Does anyone know.
Will an install of the beta stay on the beta channel? Or move to stable with updates?
josweet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by josweet »

Those struggling to locate the beta, its available here>
Downloading now :D
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no link before official release
tipaul
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tipaul »

Also installed "linuxmint-18-cinnamon-64bit-beta.iso" with SHA256 = 8a2d3a3276d36497470156063e02ba894d5b9d562a8edf856dd29ee479eb55c4.

Sailing smoothly with it for 24hrs.

Just two little problem after installation :

1) Wifi wasn't working (was fine under livecd/usb).
Had to :
sudo rmmod b43
sudo rmmod brcmsmac
sudo modprobe brcmsmac
Wifi started back. I then used Driver Manager to install the recommended bcmwl-kernel-source for my bcm4313 wireless inside by Toshiba laptop.

2) Configured suspend mode when laptop lid is closed, but don't work (always on). Working correctly with Manjaro 16.06 on a second partition.
EDIT : Just found the workaround for the suspend : must enable "Perform lid-closed action even with external monitors attached" even if i don't have external monitor attached to my laptop!
dancingdog777

Post by dancingdog777 »

josweet wrote:Those struggling to locate the beta, its available here
Downloading now :D
Bookmark the page while you can before the moderator on here censors it like he did with the other links to the download sites. Flimsy excuse of " Reason: no links when the release is not officially out" !
Of course his censorship is very definitely against the ethos of the freedoms we expect using Linux, whereby any of us can take someone else's work, change it a little ourselves and then issue it as a new distro, just as Clem does with Ubuntu.

Some control freaks don't like that.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

dancingdog777 wrote: Bookmark the page while you can before the moderator on here censors it like he did with the other links to the download sites. Flimsy excuse of " Reason: no links when the release is not officially out" !
Of course his censorship is very definitely against the ethos of the freedoms we expect using Linux, whereby any of us can take someone else's work, change it a little ourselves and then issue it as a new distro, just as Clem does with Ubuntu.

Some control freaks don't like that.
I'm sorry to take issue with your post, but xenopeek is an excellent and trusted admin here. He has the unenviable job of herding cats (us) and does it very well, if I do say so myself.
Following Clem's wishes regarding Mint is hardly being a control freak. ;)

I don't always agree with his decisions of course (he's removed/edited my posts in the past, in case you're curious), nor am I asking you to, but I will ask that you treat him and his decisions with respect.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Fred Barclay wrote: I'm sorry to take issue with your post, but xenopeek is an excellent and trusted admin here. He has the unenviable job of herding cats (us) and does it very well, if I do say so myself.
The control freak mod was me :mrgreen:

Anyway, I don't have to justify myself. The release is not out, it's for a good reason. If some users want to take a risk and try it, they are free to do so. But no advertisements. We don't want a post like 'I lost all my data by installing LM18, what happened? I don't understand I found the link on the official forum, seems official, but it crashed and lost everything...'

And anyway, trying LM18 without the list of know issues will not provide you the very best experience.
W8DIZ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by W8DIZ »

WOW....just installed V18 mate "sarah" yesterday...very clean install.
Also installed LAMP apps...package manager took me to PHP V7.
Was not ready for that but it seems to work fine too.

Thanks Clem...I love the KISS approach to your releases.

-Diz in sunny Dunedin, Florida

Return to “Releases & Announcements”