Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Post by Reorx »

elise_s1 wrote:so it's May... since yesterday :D
any chance to see baby Sarah kicking into life in the next days? 8)
Seems unlikely although I am no authority. I would look for RCs for LM18 Mate and Cinnamon to start appearing on the Community website in about a month give or take a few weeks. Once they are there (in testing), you might be able to pull down an ISO file from one of the mirrors if you need a sneek-peek before the actual release date. :wink:

...although, Cinnamon 3.0 (the Cinnamon version for LM18) was released a few days ago and is currently in the LMDE2 repos. I installed it over the weekend on my "experimentation" machine's LMDE2 partition. I like the way Cinnamon is evolving.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
ibbill

Post by ibbill »

From what I have seen there are a few problems and I am glad they are waiting before Mint 18 is released.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

On the list of good things about GNU+Linux is that there is such a plurality of choice because of the freedom for there to be that choice.

Lots of people like to get the latest, greatest new thing, with many of those people not caring about how well it works.

I'm a proponent of continual advancement and evolution and development as much as the next guy; however, for a system that is not merely a "toy", I want an OS that's solid and stable. For that, the "regular" side of LinuxMint is the best option for me.

When LM18 finally arrives, I'm going to keep checking HP's hplip pages to see when their software is rev'd to support it, because I can't afford to give up printing capabilities. Once it does, then I'll upgrade to it via a wipe-and-fresh-install. And frankly, I can't wait to check out Cinnamon 3.x and even the Mint-Y theme. Maybe I'll love it, maybe I'll hate it, or maybe I'll be somewhere in between, but it's always cool to get something new.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Portreve wrote:...I'm a proponent of continual advancement and evolution and development as much as the next guy; however, for a system that is not merely a "toy", I want an OS that's solid and stable. For that, the "regular" side of LinuxMint is the best option for me.
I agree - my current production machines (not mere "toys" :mrgreen: ) are running LM17(.0)!
Portreve wrote:When LM18 finally arrives, I'm going to keep checking HP's hplip pages to see when their software is rev'd to support it, because I can't afford to give up printing capabilities.
Typically, hplip comes as part of the default installation. As a result, I assume that it has been tested (to some degree) and found to be functional. <I think that it is Mint 18 that supports hplip (more specifically Ubu 16.04 supporting hplip) rather than hplip supporting Minx 18 - but I could be mistaken> To check if it is on your system >

Code: Select all

dpkg -l hplip
Portreve wrote:Once it does, then I'll upgrade to it via a wipe-and-fresh-install. And frankly, I can't wait to check out Cinnamon 3.x and even the Mint-Y theme. Maybe I'll love it, maybe I'll hate it, or maybe I'll be somewhere in between, but it's always cool to get something new.
There has been talk of the possibility of path to upgrading LM17.x to LM18 in place but I agree with you on the "wipe and clean install" idea. I have an "experimentation" machine so I plan to D/L and install LM18 on it as soon as it is approved for stable release. I probably won't upgrade production machines until a month or 2 after the release as there are frequently a lot of (minor?) bug fixes in the first month or 2 but (typically) after that everything is pretty stable. If you don't have an experimentation machine, you could make a little unallocated space on a production machine and install LM18 to that space (as soon as it is released just to satisfy your Cin3.0 curiosity) and dual boot it along side of LM17.x. Then, when it has settled in, simply transfer the data from 17 to 18 and your off and running... just a thought... 8)
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Reorx wrote:
Portreve wrote:When LM18 finally arrives, I'm going to keep checking HP's hplip pages to see when their software is rev'd to support it, because I can't afford to give up printing capabilities.
Typically, hplip comes as part of the default installation.

The baseline hplip is updated with the release, but it's not adequate because I need additional components.

Zee_Hanzo

Post by Zee_Hanzo »

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask.
When the update gets released and I have to upgrade. How will I do that?
How big will the download be?
Will I lose any data?

Love the name Sarah BTW. I'm on Rosa. Love the release but hate the name lol.

Thanks
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Zee_Hanzo wrote:Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask.
When the update gets released and I have to upgrade. How will I do that?
How big will the download be?
Will I lose any data?

Love the name Sarah BTW. I'm on Rosa. Love the release but hate the name lol.

Thanks
Check this post.

Image Image Image
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Zee_Hanzo wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to ask.
The wrong time, much to early.
Zee_Hanzo wrote:When the update gets released and I have to upgrade. How will I do that?
There will be an announcement, when it is ready.
Zee_Hanzo wrote:How big will the download be?
We know it, when we see it. No public ISO does exist at now.
Zee_Hanzo wrote:Will I lose any data?
The only question, where you can get a definite answer: No.
But also a definitive advice: In any case make a current backup of your data on an external media. At best you do this regularly and you will never loose data.
Zee_Hanzo

Post by Zee_Hanzo »

Cosmo. wrote:
Zee_Hanzo wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to ask.
The wrong time, much to early.
Zee_Hanzo wrote:When the update gets released and I have to upgrade. How will I do that?
There will be an announcement, when it is ready.
Zee_Hanzo wrote:How big will the download be?
We know it, when we see it. No public ISO does exist at now.
Zee_Hanzo wrote:Will I lose any data?
The only question, where you can get a definite answer: No.
But also a definitive advice: In any case make a current backup of your data on an external media. At best you do this regularly and you will never loose data.

Sorry for the noob questions lol. Thanks for the info
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mattlach »

Portreve wrote:And frankly, I can't wait to check out Cinnamon 3.x and even the Mint-Y theme. Maybe I'll love it, maybe I'll hate it, or maybe I'll be somewhere in between, but it's always cool to get something new.
Personally I don't understand why everyone always has to jump on every single latest trend.

To me all the modern "flat" themes just remind me of Windows 95/98/2k and feel like an enormous leap backwards, and honeslty, feels like it is unfinished and as if it was rushed out. I hate it on my Android devices, I hate it in Windows 8 / Windows 10, and I'll likely hate it in Linux Mint as well.

Like my mother always used to say: "If all the other kids jumped off a tall building, would you do it too?" :p

Being trendy is rarely worth anything. I much prefer sticking with solid timeless design over something trendy.
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, Samsung 990 Pro, Geforce RTX 4090, 42" LG C3, 2x Dell U2412M, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
Server: AMD EPYC 7543(32C/64T), SuperMicro H12SSL-NT, 512GB RAM, 192TB ZFS
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

mattlach wrote:Personally I don't understand why everyone always has to jump on every single latest trend.
I'm not sure why you quoted me for this response.

ProTip: Always read what the other person wrote before opening your mouth. :wink:

mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mattlach »

Zee_Hanzo wrote: When the update gets released and I have to upgrade. How will I do that?
They will likely include some form of upgrade to Mint 18, but personally I plan on doing this one as a clean install.

I've upgraded my current install through since Petra. It's time for a fresh install to clean up the gunk :p
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, Samsung 990 Pro, Geforce RTX 4090, 42" LG C3, 2x Dell U2412M, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mattlach »

Portreve wrote:
mattlach wrote:Personally I don't understand why everyone always has to jump on every single latest trend.
I'm not sure why you quoted me for this response.

ProTip: Always read what the other person wrote before opening your mouth. :wink:
I quoted because you said "maybe you'll hate it". It was sort of a "me too" quote :p
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Lancro wrote:They could release the Mint-Y theme to wait better for the release of Sarah, like it a lot.
Not compatible with the current gtk version of LM17.x. Therefore you could not use it, you would miss some elements.

But if you know where to look, it's available: https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-y-theme or here: http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main ... .3_all.deb

But as I said, not compatible with your current gtk version. You would miss some elements like the scrollbars.
Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Goz »

I also don't understand why everyone always has to jump on every single latest trend. :evil:
Just because Windows has gone back to the butt ugly flat themes,why,for the love of Pete,do we have to do likewise?
:(
To me all the modern "flat" themes just remind me of the ghastly Windows themes from 3.0 and the early 90's before they figured out about shadows. And then there is this huge honking black with white letters obsession.
Words can't began to express how much I hate that! I just hate black as it is. As soon as I got MATE going and saw that black theme,WHAP, I got rid of it. :twisted:

My mother said something similar,which was: "If all the other kids jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?" :?:

I hate being "trendy" and "fashionable".
As to names, no matter what they pick,someone, somewhere will hate it. Since I'm using lts,it does
not bother me one way or the other.

~Rant off~ :mrgreen:
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Goz wrote:I just hate black as it is. As soon as I got MATE going and saw that black theme,WHAP, I got rid of it. :twisted:
Quite a rant...
I can't say I disagree. I can't live with the default themes - too drab. I particularly agree with the "hate black" part.
But the themes don't interest me, except for the work that I know I am going to have to put into them to make them acceptable in appearance (actual colors instead of drab).
Portreve wrote: frankly, I can't wait to check out Cinnamon 3.x and even the Mint-Y theme.
What I am most interested in are the new “xapps”
  • A media player based on totem, called xplayer.
  • A text editor based on pluma, called xed.
  • A picture viewer based on eog, called xviewer.
  • A document reader based on atril, called xreader.
These 4 applications will be featured as default in Linux Mint 18, where they will replace totem, gedit, pluma, eog, eom, evince, atril and possibly ristretto.
Definitely looking forward to checking those out... :mrgreen:
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Goz »

Yeah,sometimes I just go off the rails. :)
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Goz wrote:Yeah,sometimes I just go off the rails. :)
Too much butter in your coffee... :roll:

Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

austin.texas wrote:
Goz wrote:Yeah,sometimes I just go off the rails. :)
Too much butter in your coffee... :roll:
Or too much coffee?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”