Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Post by Pierre »

if you are keen to test / use the new LinuxMint 18
then you should do so within a vitualbox type situation,
until such time as "Sarah" is officially released.
IE: don't use it as your main system, or use it on your production PCs.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Adynathos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Adynathos »

Thanks for the new version,
It looks good and its great to finally have up-to-date versions of libraries, which I need for development.

If you are installing on a laptop with 2 gpus (Nvidia and Intel) and wish to install drivers for Nvidia, this tutorial should be helpful.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

dancingdog777 wrote:Of course his censorship is very definitely against the ethos of the freedoms we expect using Linux
"Of course" this is wrong. Open source software does not mean public domain. Linux's as Mint have 2 things: The property of the author(s) and a license. And of course the author has the right to say, when a software is ready to get released. Point. That also out of the reason, that in case problems do arise the author is the first one, who gets accused that he made a mistake.

The only person, which I can see here who tries to censor is you, who wants the Mint-authors force to release something what is obviously not yet ready to get released.

And another aspect about those wild downloads: It is about 3 months ago, when an attacker tried with partially success to publish a faked version of Linux Mint. Has anybody of you wild downloaders the chance to proof, that those ISOs are really (at the current time) valid files? You stupidly rely on a hash-sum, which may or maybe not faked itself. It appears that all those wild downloaders have nothing learned from the past. (I don't say, that this is likely; I say, that this is possible and I say, that nobody is able to proof, that this is not the case.)

It is true, that everybody has the freedom for the biggest stupidity that is possible. Everybody has the freedom to refuse to learn anything. But that does not include the freedom to publish those traps.

How shall I decide, if perhaps one of those, who try to publish those download addresses, are attackers themselves? Obviously I cannot. Throwing around such vocabularies as used above does enhance the likelihood, that the one or other tries to promote an attacked ISO-file. Trying to claim an "ethos of freedom", where everybody can understand, what he wants and to neglect, that Linux Mint is published under GPL, is absolutely bad behavior. :twisted:

BTW: Does anybody who thinks so believe, that the Mint-authors get in any way motivated to develop anything for you? If I would be a member of the development team I would be pissed off. In so far such statements is absolutely counter-productive. :evil:

hughparker1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hughparker1 »

I noticed that there was a link on University of Kent mirrors for the new Linux Mint 18 iso

linuxmint-18-mate-64bit-beta.iso 2016-06-07 15:30 1.7G

there was also sha256sum.txt file

Is it OK to download this file?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

You can download whatever you want.
If you ask here: Not before there is an official announcement.

hughparker1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hughparker1 »

Thanks for feedback. I downloaded 'linuxmint-18-mate-64bit-beta.iso' and sha256sum checked ok.

I installed it in my old DELL Vostro 1520 without any problems, wireless detected automatically.
CPU: Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T6670 @ 2.20GHz Penryn 45nm Technology
even the brightness level is remembered after reboot which is a first.

Then I installed it on my new DELL Inspiron 5559 laptop which has a Skylake processor
CPU: Intel Core i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2592 Mhz, 1 Core, 2 Logical Processors
Integrated Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
Discrete Graphics: AMD Radeon R5 M335
Again install went perfectly, wireless detected automatically, no problems

Very pleased with Linux Mint 18 Mate beta
Last edited by hughparker1 on Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

killer de bug wrote: The control freak mod was me :mrgreen:
Agh!
How on Earth did I get that confused? It even says that you edited the post right on the bottom.
Sigh. Must be getting older...

So then, "killer de bug is an excellent and trusted mod here, and a good friend as well." <rest of post> :mrgreen:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Those wild downloaders doen't (partially) not even be able to determine the right file date of what they downloaded. Here is one who reported in between 2 minutes 3 different dates. I can imagine, what other reports are worth - not even the virtual paper, where they are printed on. :x

meazz1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by meazz1 »

I installed LM Cin18 on an older HP laptop and everything went smooth.
Only issue after first reboot when I unplugged the network cable, I could not get the wifi to work and the network manager texts were big and long.
After rebooting again, everything started working and smooth sailing ever since.

Great work guys.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

bash64
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bash64 »

All went well for me. I run a complex mint 17.3 setup.
I am running mint 18 with few issues.
I did have a huge issue getting booted using upstart, but I have a procedure for that now.
If anyone wants a copy of the procedure I can post it.
You can boot the old init or upstart with it.

GordB
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GordB »

I am very impressed, the greatest beta I have ever had the opportunity to install. I am hoping I can just update my way to the final release.
Thanks, Gord
My Blog

zake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zake »

LM18 beta works ok, but cannot change default System Locale by Language settings.
Thus it can be changed manually by text editor. (file: /etc/default/locale)

Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

I cannot wait for this. The last two years with Linux Mint 17.x have been the longest time I have spent with any Linux distro. They are usually wiped off within 6 months and I move on. I've stuck with Mint simply because it is a pleasure to use it. The tools are easy and always work, the system is rock solid and fuss-free, and I feel like this is my computer. This is priceless at a time when the "big" players can't help but experiment on their userbase with tat.

Congratulations on your new beta. Roll on the final release. :)

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

sikejsudjek wrote:Yay, all 4 approved for beta release now !
What? I don't see the Xfce - or KDE, for that matter - beta release anywhere.
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

What? I don't see the Xfce - or KDE, for that matter - beta release anywhere.
The four are Cinnamon and Mate in 64 and 32 bit. XFCE and KDE always follow later.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

JosephM wrote:XFCE and KDE always follow later.
Yeah, but the person stated "all 4," lol. That would logically imply all four versions - not two different architectures of only half of all four.
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

vdeane
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vdeane »

I REALLY hope the final version comes out soon. I'm waiting to set up my new computer as I don't want to set it up twice, but my current computer is dying and operating on borrowed time, and getting worse and worse (used to be the problem was at least confined to the power supply fan... now it's spread to the case fan too; the only way I can get any peace and quiet is to jam the fans and risk overheating (since I run my website off of this computer, shutting down is not an option)). Figures that the one release I'm desperately waiting on is the one that is moving at a glacial pace and taking longer than any other release in Mint history.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

@vdeane: well, why don't you pick the bèta of Mint 18 then? No showstopper bugs in that, at least not in my experience....

I've been running the bèta for some time, on two machines that I use daily. Didn't regret it yet. Good stuff. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Vdeane, I'd suggest creating a persistent live USB of whichever Beta you're interested in, and booting it on the new PC for a while to be sure everything is compatible - depending on your uses, you'd likely be able to do most normal activity on the new machine instead of waiting for the old one to die in the middle of something important.

Personally, I'm not going to install the beta on any of my machines but I am running it 90% of the time on all of them, and in fact I'll be thoroughly working the final release on USB before risking a hard drive with something that might not work. (For example, I've had the same problem with wi-fi recognition on two machines with both Cinnamon and MATE, that has never happened before on any version - expecting it to be fixed by "final" but belt and suspenders is my rule.)
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. M19.1 XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual booting M19.1 XFCE / W7 (Acer netbook) and M19.1 XFCE / W7 (Lenovo desktop). All 32 bit Windows systems are running 64 bit Mint.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”