Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Post by Cosmo. » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:52 am

Neither does the woman look like Stevie Nicks nor does the voice sound like her very typical one. Compare it with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_vCeQ-rx5A

zebulonn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zebulonn » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:34 pm

Bonjour à tous,
Si Sarah est aussi généreuse que Rosa, alors ça promet de belles choses :D
j' attends ça avec impatience.

The Dark Side
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Dark Side » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:20 pm

Well, well.... Okay, will not promise to install, but I promise you that I will testing editions of Linux Mint 18. Linux Mint it's addictive !!

We will see how it works, especially I will be waiting for the release of Linux Mint 18 Plasma 5, I hope by that time Plasma 5 achieved be a little more mature than it is today. Regards.
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon
Linux Mint 17.3 KDE
Manjaro Linux XFCE (OpenRC)
Pisi Linux 2.0 (Beta)

CreativeC
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CreativeC » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:16 pm

For next names we could use names of lost cities
What do you think ?

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:50 pm

It has always been a feminine name ending by a. Why should we change ? :wink:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Joss
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Joss » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:40 pm

killer de bug wrote:It has always been a feminine name ending by a. Why should we change ? :wink:
Why indeed.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:32 pm

Joss wrote:
killer de bug wrote:It has always been a feminine name ending by a. Why should we change ? :wink:
Why indeed.
Well, Clem did say
There’s a French saying for this, “it’s the exception which confirms the rule”
I hate to disagree with you guys, but I much prefer "Sarah" to "Sara". Even if it does break tradition... :mrgreen:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:59 pm

Fred Barclay wrote:I hate to disagree with you guys, but I much prefer "Sarah" to "Sara". Even if it does break tradition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxxSIX3fmmo

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:35 pm

Love the name Sarah, very feminine.

AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:59 pm

I personally don't see any point at all in giving an OS a human name.

17.3 is just fine.

The desktop is a theme, and my theme is "Cinnamon".... which I hate the standard look of, changed the wallpaper in about the 1st 5 seconds after it was installed.

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:23 am

AZgl1500 wrote:The desktop is a theme, and my theme is "Cinnamon".... which I hate the standard look of, changed the wallpaper in about the 1st 5 seconds after it was installed.
The desktop environment is much more than just a theme....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Ark987
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ark987 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:27 am

The Dark Side wrote:
1) Please, Please, consider to have a useful and valid alternative to Systemd how boot system. Actually, I think Systemd it is not being up to no good in the Linux ecosystem. I think I will keep in Linux Mint 17.3 provided that it me works very well
I guess I'll never understand this non-sense systemd-o-phobia.

https://tails.boum.org/news/test_2.0-rc1/index.en.html
Under the hood, an amazing amount of code was ported to more modern technologies. This, in turn, allowed us to do lots of small changes all around the place, that will make the Tails experience both safer, and more pleasant. For example, all custom system services are harder to exploit thanks to the use of Linux namespaces, set up by systemd. And the way Tails tells the user that "Tor is ready" is now more accurate.
The technical aspects still appears to be fine, I'm still eager to find a real technical problem with it.

The Dark Side
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Dark Side » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:27 pm

Does not is is absolutely no "foolish" or "phobia". Not that I have too much technical knowledge, but what I read about systemd makes me think about of that is not at all convenient. I leave some links.... I think that certain things are staggering.

http://ewontfix.com/14/

http://www.infoworld.com/article/260879 ... lypse.html

http://www.infoworld.com/article/260886 ... ivide.html

http://blog.lusis.org/blog/2014/09/23/end-of-linux/
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon
Linux Mint 17.3 KDE
Manjaro Linux XFCE (OpenRC)
Pisi Linux 2.0 (Beta)

Seff
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Seff » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:52 pm

I like "Sarah"; it's my sister's name. So long as none of the releases are named Cortana I'm happy...
Mint "Rafaela" Cinnamon x64
Satellite L755D

Skaendo

Post by Skaendo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:46 am

The Dark Side wrote:1) Please, Please, consider to have a useful and valid alternative to Systemd how boot system. Actually, I think Systemd it is not being up to no good in the Linux ecosystem. I think I will keep in Linux Mint 17.3 provided that it me works very well
I was under the impression that (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) systemd was not the init, although systemd is in the system and Mint does utilize some of its functions and "features". I thought that I had seen that runit was the init.

I am not a big fan of systemd myself, and is probably the only reason that I don't use Linux Mint as my daily driver. But I have a laptop that runs Linux Mint (95% of the time, dual boot with Windows 7) and I have a desktop that runs it as well, my main rig runs Slackware.

I am very happy with Linux Mint, my only request is that I would like to see a newer kernel.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:10 pm

Skaendo wrote:I was under the impression that (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) systemd was not the init, although systemd is in the system and Mint does utilize some of its functions and "features". I thought that I had seen that runit was the init.
I am very happy with Linux Mint, my only request is that I would like to see a newer kernel.
Hi Skaendo. You may be interested in this recent thread about systemd. It contains a good bit of info about systemd, as well as some links to other sites for more info.

You're correct, Mint does not use systemd as the init system, but it does use some systemd utilities. Sysvinit is the init system for both Mint 13 and Mint 17.x. Now on LMDE Betsy we have systemd as an init system (though the old sysvinit is default), but I believe that if you wanted systemd on Mint 13/17.x as the init system, you'd have to install it by default.

Are you aware that you can upgrade kernels through the update manager?
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Skaendo

Post by Skaendo » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:55 am

Fred Barclay wrote:Hi Skaendo. You may be interested in this recent thread about systemd. It contains a good bit of info about systemd, as well as some links to other sites for more info.

You're correct, Mint does not use systemd as the init system, but it does use some systemd utilities. Sysvinit is the init system for both Mint 13 and Mint 17.x. Now on LMDE Betsy we have systemd as an init system (though the old sysvinit is default), but I believe that if you wanted systemd on Mint 13/17.x as the init system, you'd have to install it by default.

Are you aware that you can upgrade kernels through the update manager?
Yes, but I use KernelUpdate from here: https://launchpad.net/~ferramroberto/+a ... rnelupdate
(Although there is a different install process for Mint than the one outlined there for Ubuntu.)

I am currently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 with 4.4 kernel, while the update manager only offers 4.2. If I don't update the kernel right away after a fresh install (of 17.3) I get screen flicker and dialog boxes get dropped for some reason. Not that it would matter if I upgraded to 4.2, that one works for me as well. But if your going to do something you might as well do it right and go all the way, right?

Frankly I am tired of reading the threads about systemd since most of them have very little technical aspect to them. They go on for hundreds of pages and it just turns into a flame war. I try to avoid them like the plague. Personally, I do not like systemd, but what can ya do? Not enough people know the technical aspects of it or Linux in general to care. What I did was moved to a distro that doesn't have and wont have systemd in the near future. Slackware is my main OS now after running Debian for 15 years, but I have a PC that runs Mint full time as well.

Dupo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dupo » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:07 am

Hi,

will it be possible to have a 32bit Uefi support for Linux Mint 18 ?

Thanks.

unclefreddiedied

Post by unclefreddiedied » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:16 am

Hey--what happened to "Fred"? Linux Mint Fred--I rather like it!

I second Linux Mint Fred. Forever Fred LTR! :mrgreen:

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:59 pm

Yes! Let the Freds of the forums unite!
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Releases & Announcements”