PSA: Google Chrome drops support for 32 bit and Mint 13

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
BEeK

Re: PSA: Google Chrome drops support for 32 bit and Mint 13

Post by BEeK »

M0em wrote:I don't use Chrome or Firefox. The world is full of options.
I'm interested to know what you use then...
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

BEeK wrote:I'm interested to know what you use then...
I'm using Sea Monkey as my primary browser and mail client, and Pale Moon as my secondary browser.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

MtnDewManiac wrote:
ZakGordon wrote:Like i said this seems like a really mean spirited move
???
Google WAS paying for the development of a piece of 32-bit software. The powers-that-be at Google have decided to stop spending that money.
And they (Google) are making a HUGE amount of money from us:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/16/technol ... index.html
The Internet search giant reported $6.99 earnings per share, while analysts were expecting about $6.70. Google (GOOGL, Tech30) generated $17.7 billion in sales over the past three months, an 11% growth from last year. Wall Street was looking for about $17.8 billion to $18 billion, a 13% acceleration. Overall the company made $3.9 billion in profits.
They could easily afford to keep a 32bit versions going if they wanted to, they don't, so screw the many people that use 32bit. Mean spirited first world elitism.

There is always Firefox, but the only reason i was using Chromium was due to adobe Flash security issues (all the time it seemed), and the 'Chrome' family of browsers were just 100% compatible with youtube etc, whereas in Firefox it is not always so, HTML 5 not being 100% everywhere yet i think? For sure once Firefox is able to use HTML 5 all the time i will not need Chrome/Chromium.

But this is all added confusion and difficulty for people that just want to use the internet safely, and having had to deal with all the adobe flash issues over recent years this does not encourage confidence in the most popular browsers.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
amethyst_igor

Post by amethyst_igor »

ZakGordon wrote:
MtnDewManiac wrote:
???
Google WAS paying for the development of a piece of 32-bit software. The powers-that-be at Google have decided to stop spending that money.

The Internet search giant reported $6.99 earnings per share, while analysts were expecting about $6.70. Google (GOOGL, Tech30) generated $17.7 billion in sales over the past three months, an 11% growth from last year. Wall Street was looking for about $17.8 billion to $18 billion, a 13% acceleration. Overall the company made $3.9 billion in profits.
They could easily afford to keep a 32bit versions going if they wanted to, they don't, so screw the many people that use 32bit. Mean spirited first world elitism.

There is always Firefox, but the only reason i was using Chromium was due to adobe Flash security issues (all the time it seemed), and the 'Chrome' family of browsers were just 100% compatible with youtube etc, whereas in Firefox it is not always so, HTML 5 not being 100% everywhere yet i think? For sure once Firefox is able to use HTML 5 all the time i will not need Chrome/Chromium.

But this is all added confusion and difficulty for people that just want to use the internet safely, and having had to deal with all the adobe flash issues over recent years this does not encourage confidence in the most popular browsers.
ZakGordon wrote:
MtnDewManiac wrote:
???

I UNinstall Flash first thing whenever I install Linux Mint. And I don't use it in my Windows installs, either. I've not found any videos on YouTube that Firefox can't play. It seems to me that 32-bit support is not a huge issue in 2016, when most videos will play just fine in Firefox, and there are other browsers too like Chromium that will be fine (albeit without the latest version of Flash).

Google's not a charity and has to do whatever it needs to make money. If you pay taxes to Google, fine, it should support your hardware, but otherwise, we don't really have any cause to complain. As I understand it, no one pays for Chrome. Personally, I don't really trust Chrome, and don't like the way it piggybacks on installs of other software in the Windows world, like a creeping evil kudzu growing around trees. Now would be a good time for 32-bit users to delete Chrome and use Firefox.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

amethyst_igor wrote:Now would be a good time for 32-bit users to delete Chrome and use Firefox.
Or Sea Monkey, Pale Moon, Icecat, Midori, Opera, Qupzilla, SlimJet, Epiphany...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

ZakGordon wrote:They could easily afford to keep a 32bit versions going if they wanted to, they don't, so screw the many people that use 32bit. Mean spirited first world elitism.
Warren Buffett could easily afford to personally hand-deliver a cup of the finest coffee to you, in the finest translucent bone china, just in time for breakfast. But I'd be willing to bet that the mean-spirited first world elitist hasn't even bothered to chuck a can of Hills Bros. out of his jet when he flew past :roll: :P :lol: .

(Apologies to Warren Buffet, lol.)

I used to get bean burritos at Taco Bell (back when they had about five items on their menu) for thirty-nine cents. Now they want $1.39! :mrgreen: And I don't think that they've chopped up their own tomatoes, shredded their own lettuce and cheese, or cooked their beans (in honest to goodness lard) in decades. This really distresses me - I think I'll go post a rant about it on a forum somewhere. Ohwaitaminute... job done :wink: .

But, to be serious for just a moment... If a company gives you a product, thank them for doing so - DON'T decide that the fact that they have in the past obligates them to continue doing so in the future (for they have no legal, moral, or ethical obligation to do so). Clem gives you your operating system for free. If he wakes up tomorrow and decides that he will no longer do so, will you call him names as well, lol? Or just thank him for what he has already provided, wish him well, and move on?

You could always offer to start purchasing a 32-bit version of Chrome from Google for, IDK... what's the value of a piece of software that a person can be reasonably expected to use (if they favor that web browser) every single day? I've seen games that people will play for a few weeks going for upwards of $50, so... $75? I bet if you did so - oh, yeah, and got 25,000 to 50,000 of your friends to do the same, it could make a difference. Then again, I don't think the stockholders are in serious risk of going hungry now, so it might not tempt them sufficiently. Better make it $100 and 100,000 of your friends. I'd offer to join that list but, well... as software goes, Chrome is like electronic sheep's dung. In fact, that reminds me - I keep forgetting to uninstall it... <DONE!>

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
blueredgreen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blueredgreen »

Sorry to bump the thread, but I just wanted to confirm that chromium is still ok to use on 32 bit linux mint 17 but chrome is not (I was always confused that chromium is ok but not chrome).

Last chromium update from repository was 53.0.2785.143 .. I am assuming then that chromium is still getting all the security updates and is safe to use. I can see the adobe flash plugin on chromium has not been updated for a long long time, so I just disabled it and use firefox if I need flash .. so, my next question ..

Does it look like support for adobe flash player for firefox will be discontinued in March for 32 bit linux? How about for 64 bit? (I have 2 machine with linux mint 17, one 32 bit and one 64 bit).
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You're fine to use Chromium on 32 bit, as long as you don't need plugins from Google Chrome.

Adobe has started supporting Linux again. Currently the latest Adobe Flash player is available as beta on Linux; I don't know yet when they will switch it to stable and supported.
blueredgreen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blueredgreen »

Thanks xenopeek. I continue to use chromium with no chrome plugins and firefox ... good to hear adobe keeping linux support ... i hear many times flash player will die soon but many many websites still using it.
blueredgreen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blueredgreen »

Just noticed I have one plugin left on chromium:

Chromium PDF Viewer (2 files)
Name: Chromium PDF Viewer
Version:
Location: chrome-extension://mhjfbmdgcfjbbpaeojofohoefgiehjai/
Type: BROWSER PLUGIN

This is safe to use or should it be disabled?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That plugin is open source; no problem.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”