Monthly News - February 2016

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Monthly News - February 2016

Post by clem » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:42 am

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Monthly News - February 2016

Post by Pierre » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:20 am

and a Big Learning Curve - for All.
- lots of stuff came out of that experience.
a Good Recovery was Done.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:16 am

From my end user perspective, the security threat I evaluate as highest has nothing to do with the Linux Mint web site or the recent hack, because you guys were on top of that and publicly disclosed the relevant details, which is A+ practice, highly professional. My worry is same as before the hack, the lurking danger of a trusted third-party PPA becoming compromised. Most PPA's are just a guy with a password. If his password gets compromised or if he goes rogue, then he can do a lot of damage to all that trusted him. The end user's temptation to use a PPA grows stronger the older the programs get.

For instance, I see one of my favourite games, Dungeon Crawl (Tiles version), is not the latest version in the Software Manager, so I install crawl's PPA to get the latest bug fixes. Also, one of the best hardware-accelerated video players, MPV, a branch of mplayer, which is excellent when used in conjunction with the front-end SMPlayer, is not the latest version due to extremely active development, so I install mc3man's PPA. Then I find that my favorite torrent client, qbittorrent, is not adequately represented, so I install a PPA for that too. In the end, there are a lot of different people I am trusting. It is a trade-off, and I'm not sure what the best solution is. Perhaps wisest would be to limp along with older versions of software and just be patient and wait for the official PPA's to catch up.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:47 am

the solution is to not have the software so connected with the OS. so one can keep the OS at certain version (LTS, stable, whatever...), yet update the software. I believe Ubuntu is heading in that way (maybe Mint will as well?!). windows has always been like that.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”