Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” Cinnamon – BETA Release

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
m33

Mint 18 beta network icon problem

Post by m33 »

Mint 18 beta has a problem.
When connect to VPN using network manager ethernet wire. The network icon at bottom right of screen does not change to lock icon. On checking the VPN is successful connected. It is icon problem.
How to fix to show locked icon when connected to VPN?
MMcD488
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” Cinnamon – BETA Release

Post by MMcD488 »

I just put this on a usb stick to try out and I'm quite impressed with it. It looks beautiful and the default noveau driver actually worked for me with my dual monitor setup out of the box (it wouldn't work for me on 17.3 unless I unplugged 1 monitor for some reason, I think because they are different resolutions). The new mint y themes and icons look great, as do the new wallpapers. I also liked the new settings features. I didn't get to spend a lot of time with it tonight, though. All that I had the chance to do so far was look at the settings, check my email, and browse firefox a little, but I'm looking forward to trying out more tomorrow. It looks excellent so far.
New Linux enthusiast
Old Mint box - Dell XPS m140 running Mint 18.2 32-bit with XFCE and LXQt
darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by darknetmatrix »

Banshee freezes while importing music-files, i installed clementine and no problem.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Proper place to report bugs is here.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Is it just me or is the cinnamon beta ISO legacy boot only? I am not getting an UEFI option.
upuv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by upuv »

Thank You Mint team.

I've been looking forward to the Mint refresh for some time now. 17.3 was a rock solid release and I run it on 5 machines and countless VM's.

The Improvements to Cinnamon and the re-sync to Ubuntu 16.04 are really appreciated.

Might I add a suggestion. Since Ubuntu has yearly LTS releases some things get left behind. Namely graphics drivers from the various vendors are often only against the current LTS or current release of Ubuntu. Case in point the Intel drivers really lagged behind in the last year. This had some spill on effects with OpenGL and VM's with Video acceleration. Is there anything that can be done to include current back-ports of drivers for Mint going forward? Now that kernel selection has been made trivial for users the major hurdle in the driver front is easier to achieve.

But again. Tremendous job team. Well done. I'm very impressed with this release so far.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

z31fanatic wrote:Is it just me or is the cinnamon beta ISO legacy boot only? I am not getting an UEFI option.
Are you using the 32-bit version? From what I understand this is an upstream issue and out of Mint's hands. I think it's with Grub but I can't remember to say for sure.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Hmm, I thought I got the 64 bit version. I'll have to check on that.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

This is a solid release. I'm getting all the features I need with no issues. The apps I normally run all work flawlessly. Image browsers, video players, drawing and painting apps, photo editors, office, pdf readers, file manager, nvidia drivers, and on and on; Fox, Chrome, Libre Office, Gimp, Inkscape, Blender, Krita, etc.

No wonder Mint is so popular. I just hope I don't have to uninstall this beta and just enjoy the regular updates.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

After doing some work with two open browsers (Firefox and Chrome, each less than 5 tab windows open), I regularly can’t launch any new applications anymore. Error report when trying to launch an application by command line (Alt F2): “too many open files”. Which is a bit surprising on a machine with 6 GB RAM..... Only solution: Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and a reboot.

Very minor annoyance: the number of default wallpapers is very small (only a couple for Sarah), and many of those have "blurred" parts, which in my opinion isn't suitable for a wallpaper.

For the rest: no complaints. It's going to become an excellent release. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

@Pjotr, Make sure you post that in the comments for the beta release announcement. Dev's don't look here normally.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

JosephM wrote:@Pjotr, Make sure you post that in the comments for the beta release announcement. Dev's don't look here normally.
I already did that, as well. :)
min2max

Post by min2max »

LM18 uses kernel 4.4.xx as does Ubuntu 16.04, is it possible for me to roll back it to kernel 3.13.xx or later? I have EDA software detecting the 4.4 as a wrong kernel installed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

min2max wrote:LM18 uses kernel 4.4.xx as does Ubuntu 16.04, is it possible for me to roll back it to kernel 3.13.xx or later? I have EDA software detecting the 4.4 as a wrong kernel installed.
That's not your best option, because you do want a kernel that's tuned to the rest of your operating system (and vice versa). I advise to install Linux Mint 17.3, which has the 3.19 kernel and will last another three years.
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

Pjotr wrote:
min2max wrote:LM18 uses kernel 4.4.xx as does Ubuntu 16.04, is it possible for me to roll back it to kernel 3.13.xx or later? I have EDA software detecting the 4.4 as a wrong kernel installed.
That's not your best option, because you do want a kernel that's tuned to the rest of your operating system (and vice versa). I advise to install Linux Mint 17.3, which has the 3.19 kernel and will last another three years.
Oh Oh. I tried several 4.x.x kernels on cinnamon 17.3 (on an amd A10 APU) and couldn't boot fully. 3.2.0-32 is working. I figure it is due to incompatibility with AMD drivers. Does that mean this machine will have problems with LM18 or likely will I find its 'tuned' as above to work together? I read on an ubuntu forum that 4.4 has trouble with fglrx. Should one expect xserver-xorg-video-ati will work or will LM18 just not be a good idea for this machine? Side note, AMD is working finally on an open source driver AMDGPU which supposedly is why fglrx support was dropped by cannonical (for now) for ubuntu 16
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

What? I'm on an AMD A8-5600K, although I have now fitted a separate NVIDIA graphics card and have some better speed with that, less load on the processor. Currently using Mint 17.3, but really waiting with bated breath for Mint 18 (not beta). I hope it will work fine, and don't see why it shouldn't?
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I installed the LM 18 Cinnamon beta today, and thus far, I've had no issues. When I began the installation, I did get a warning dialog box about whether to use UEFI or BIOS. Since I know my MacBook Pro uses UEFI, I told it to "force" UEFI.

No idea if this is a bug or something I should try reporting, but so far it's the only irregularity I've encountered. Everything else is just smooth as glass. If anything, LM 18 Cinn Beta is smoother than the various LM 17.x releases were. That perhaps could be a quirk or complete dumb luck, but I'm happy nonetheless.

I also discovered that even though libtool is installed, there evidently are other components which hplip 3.16.5 requires to work. Going back to the Software Center and searching for libtool was sufficient to deal with this situation, and now my HP Laserjet P1102w prints just fine.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Releases & Announcements”