Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” MATE – BETA Release

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” MATE – BETA Release

Post by Arch_Enemy »

I got an error message trying to install codecs and some other system helpers, saying something to the effect of "repository 'Sarah' does not have a valid <something> file and cannot be trusted as a repository" or something like that, and also got an "unable to drop permissions for user 'apt'" for something else.

I clicked on the "Add Codecs" box, got an error message, then about a minute later it loaded a bunch of codecs then gave me the permissions error.

This was running from the live ISO, but I have never received this message on any other version in the past. I also loaded it to an EXT4 formatted USB stick, if that makes a difference.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
ibbill

Post by ibbill »

Arch_Enemy I have always used fat32 on usb not ext 4. Not even sure this is relevant just my thoughts
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

That's one of the things I was wondering, if the added security of the file system caused the issue.

Reformatting and trying again ain't too hard. ;)

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I installed 18 Mate earlier today, running right now. No real problems at all, two minor issues:

- the LiveDVD says "User mint will login in 30 seconds"; there's a window to enter a login name, but "mint" and PW "mint or blank didn't work....why wait 30 seconds?

- to install virtualbox 5.0.20 from Oracle I needed to DL a separate .deb file for the "libvpx1" requirement.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Arch_Enemy wrote:I got an error message trying to install codecs and some other system helpers, saying something to the effect of "repository 'Sarah' does not have a valid <something> file and cannot be trusted as a repository" or something like that, and also got an "unable to drop permissions for user 'apt'" for something else.

I clicked on the "Add Codecs" box, got an error message, then about a minute later it loaded a bunch of codecs then gave me the permissions error.

This was running from the live ISO, but I have never received this message on any other version in the past. I also loaded it to an EXT4 formatted USB stick, if that makes a difference.

Error message:

W: Can't drop privileges for downloading as file '/var/cache/apt/archives/partial/chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra_50.0.2661.102-0ubuntu0.16.04.1.1237_amd64.deb' couldn't be accessed by user '_apt'. - pkgAcquire::Run (13: Permission denied)

Az4x4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Az4x4 »

I installed Linux Mint 18 Mate' on my ASUS Zenbook and everything seemed to work, that is until I installed the latest edition of Google Chrome. After that the "Applications - Places - System" menu that I prefer quit working. I could no longer right click on it, open "Edit Menus" and make menu changes. In addition clicking on "Applications" had no effect anymore, no menu popped up at all. However clicking on "Places" and "System" does cause those menus to pop up.

I removed that old traditional menu system from the panel and put the advanced Mint menu back in its place, thinking that would solve the problem. It didn't. The menus in it were all screwed up too. Guess I'll go back to Mint 17.3 and wait till the final Mint 18 Mate' is released. It should have issues like these ironed out by then, hope so anyway!..

Return to “Releases & Announcements”