Bianca KDE (and miniKDE) Edition is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
florianr_
Level 1
Level 1

Post by florianr_ » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:15 am

@bernardo,
thanks, Keyboard Layout is now de, also after reboot.

But still Problems with knetworkmanager,
1. I have to enter my password at every reboot
2. My WPA Passphrase is not saved. I have to enter it allways manual.

So I need knetworkmanager because I am connecting via WLAN.

ceti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ceti » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:38 am

I installed the mini edition and it's great.

I installed Beryl from here:
http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Inst ... ith_nVidia
and it works smoothly.

Now, I uninstalled KOffice but can't manage to install OpenOffice successfully. Can anyone tell me the packages I have to mark on Synaptic?

Congratulations, Clem. I have the Gnome edition on my other machine. I love it, too.
Sorry, but that's the way it is.

denz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by denz » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:58 pm

Downloaded and installed the DVD version.

Looks great!

This is one of the better KDE desktops I've seen yet.

Seems to have less clutter than other KDE distros.

Still having problems with the wireless connection.
Having trouble with the Intel Pro 2200 driver.
I will try and post this in the correct forum.

Other than that, great job!!

Derek

Magickman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Magickman » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:49 pm

First of all, let me say thank you for releasing the Mini KDE edition. Install worked great, took only a few minutes. At first boot, my DSL connection would not work at all. So, tired, I shut down and didn't reboot until the following day. Upon booting, the DSL worked, but was really slow. So, I configured it manually, and not one problem after that. I am really used to Synaptic, so used Kpackage to get that, too bad Synaptic isn't included, but what the hey? With Synaptic I installed all the little goodies that i like, VLC, KMplayer, Firestarter, Streamtuner, Thunderbird, Gaim, Netstat, KDPF. All working great. Firefox is faster it seems with this distro, compared to Bianca with KDE apps installed via Synaptic, and best of all, no Gnome to speak of. I did have to install libgnome2-perl to keep Synaptic for asking for it each time, but no problems whatsoever! I love this edition, great work, guys!
Magickman
ImageImageImage

bernado
Level 1
Level 1

Kmail Kwallet does not save passwort

Post by bernado » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:02 am

@florianr and others

Hy,

there is a problem with kwallet that concerns kmail and probably kntworkmanager and others because kwallet is used for passwort configuration. See

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kd ... +bug/67521

For german users:
http://forum.kubuntu-de.org/index.php?topic=6193.0

This bug is already pretty old and it is probably solved with Kubuntu Feisty. Sometimes I don´t understand the Kubuntu/Ubuntu developers. Bugs remain unsolved for too long !!

Bernado

gramnemo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gramnemo » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:31 am

What languages are español? Russian?

ido
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ido » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:25 am

Hi granmeno,

The installation is in English but then you can change the language to Spanish, for example using System>Language Selector, and the in the list that will come up choose Spanish. If you have an Spanish keyboard also change from the default us to Spanish using Settings>Keyboard>Layout and pick up Spanish or Latin American keyboard.

If you need more information in Spanish post your questions in the Spanish sub-forum.

Hasta la próxima.

gramnemo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gramnemo » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:52 am

ido wrote:Hi granmeno,

The installation is in English but then you can change the language to Spanish, for example using System>Language Selector, and the in the list that will come up choose Spanish. If you have an Spanish keyboard also change from the default us to Spanish using Settings>Keyboard>Layout and pick up Spanish or Latin American keyboard.

If you need more information in Spanish post your questions in the Spanish sub-forum.

Hasta la próxima.
Muchas gracias :)

mfab
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mfab » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:22 am

florianr_ wrote:Thanks for the KDE Version, its fine.

But I have two Problems, after installing it:

1.) After each reboot the keyboard layout in kde is US, and not german, as I selected while installing bianca. I alway change keyboard layout in kcontrol, but after reboot it is US again. How could I change that permanent?

2) Knetwortmanager is allways starting up with kdesu and asking for the password. Is that necessary?

Sad but true I have to agree.
There must be some kind of bug still in there with KDM I guess.

First logon after initial install worked perfect and no problems with login.
Changed a few network settings (nothing too much) and rebooted
Second login: Somehow KDM totally messed up with the language layout.
Suddenly KDM only has U.S. keyboard layout which is really like hell if you have some password with layout-conflicts. And there is no option to switch back. KDE could be convinced via the settings to use german layout, but no chance for KDM-Login.

Any ideas/help? :cry:

bernado could you have a look and try to enter something at KDM so you can actually see that you have german layout? (like entering "yöü" as a username so you can validate you have the right layout)
Thanks in advance.

bernado
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bernado » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:33 pm

Hy mfab,

KDM log in is still in english so username can't be üäö (german umlaute) and of course y and z are vice versa. I tried sudo kcontrol and changed language and keyboard settings - but in vain . Well, its KDE and it has been always more buggy than in Ubuntu/Bianca. Maybe the next KDE Version will be perfect
javascript:emoticon('8)')

bernado

ido
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ido » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:32 pm

Hi Bernardo,

Maybe this info may be of help or give you some ideas to solve your problem. I have a us keyboard generic pc104 layout with the primary variant "alt int' that replaces 104 with dead/keys. When I need to use accents in Spanish I press first the right single tilde an then the vowel to get for example "ó", I have check this for your case and if I press first the "double quote" and then a vowel I can get i.e.: ö, ü, etc. With this layout when I want to use just the double quote then I press the double quote and then the space key. Once your do it a few times it becomes almost automatic. I also use the Compose key to get some special symbols such as ¿ or ¡.

I hope it may help you.

whovian222
Level 1
Level 1

Looks good

Post by whovian222 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:19 pm

I've installed linux mint kde and k3b won't copy cds. Neither clone copy or normal copy work right. Clone copy won't start up at all and normail copy can't eject the disk. I was starting to like this, but that seems like a major bug to me! And what's the deal with putting KOFFICE instead of open office in the distro?

OU812
Level 3
Level 3

Post by OU812 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:40 am

've installed linux mint kde and k3b won't copy cds. Neither clone copy or normal copy work right. Clone copy won't start up at all and normail copy can't eject the disk
Did you configure k3b properly? Configure>Settings. This should have been done for you, though.
And what's the deal with putting KOFFICE instead of open office in the distro?
Matter of choice, I guess. It is a kde system, so why not try and include as many kde-specific apps as possible as long as they are top-notch. This way you have a more unified look/feel to the entire system.

I installed mini-kde on my 6 year old laptop. It was a little slow. So I installed it on my desktop instead, and when the xfce desktop was released, I installed it on my laptop. Everything runs great. Thank you very much. Both are very pretty distros and highly usable. I am at the point, however, where I would like to install software. After reading the wiki on upgrading (kde from bianca to cassandra), I am left wondering: Since I have not installed any software yet, would it be better to upgrade to cassandra now or wait until the next kde release? Unfortunately, I can't find any info on the next release date. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanis.

john

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:27 pm

The KDE Edition is in development at the moment. The base is stable but there are a few mint tools which need to be ported to KDE. It might become a Community Edition... Boo might maintain it.

Clem

OU812
Level 3
Level 3

Post by OU812 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:53 pm

With that in mind, I think I will keep kde bianca mini as is and install my desired apps. If a new edition comes out, community or otherwise, I will download and install the dvd version instead of the mini. Or I will consider gnome. I like gnome, kde, and xfce so I really don't have any severe loyalty to one. Thanks.

john

Return to “Releases & Announcements”