Bianca KDE (and miniKDE) Edition is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Bianca KDE (and miniKDE) Edition is out!

Post by clem »

Hi,

Bianca KDE Edition was released and is available for download. A miniKDE Edition is also available, it features less software but fits on a CD.

Download page: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.html
Release notes: http://www.linuxmint.com/20070420.html

Clem.
garfms
Level 1
Level 1

Post by garfms »

Nice timing again! :D
I will install this weekend.

I just want to know, is it made on Kubuntu Feisty base yet?

greetings
garf
Husse

Post by Husse »

@garfms
I just want to know, is it made on Kubuntu Feisty base yet?
nope
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

Thats awesome Clem!

I have downloaded 7.04 and will be starting on the updated remastersys to support this new version.
fire-storm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fire-storm »

Thanks for making a mini KDE version Clem!
I'm downloading now and cannot wait to get it a go!
ceti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ceti »

Well done, Clem.
I'll stay with mini.

Cheers
Sorry, but that's the way it is.
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

looks really great from what I have seen using the Live CD (have not got round to installing it yet). I have created a torrent at LinuxTracker if anyone wants to use that http://linuxtracker.org/torrents-detail ... 3997&hit=1
"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due."
minter_dk

Post by minter_dk »

hi i am back my computer has ben i the work shop it stop working last week .... but now i am back ... wow u released KDE Edition i am downloading miniKDE ... clem i am sory that my computer stop working so i cluden help u but i am working on textbase install in sted ... keep the good work goning
gramnemo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gramnemo »

And than differ KDE mini CD and DVD?
carltonh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by carltonh »

Anyone have a torrent for the miniKDE?

I wasn't going to switch to KDE, but since I crashed GNOME Mint with Envy from Romeo, why not?
bernado

Choosing Different Language During Install Works !

Post by bernado »

Hy Community,

I successfully installed Binaca KDE. And the best, I did the install in German !
I choosed German Language for LiveCD Mode and then I installed in German. No problems, the installer didn't crash. Is this okay or just luck? 8)
Installation Notes:
- do not install anything and keep your session in English if you're planning to install. You can always change the language once the system is installed (this is due to a problem in the installer).
Someone should modify this at the download page for Bianca KDE.
And by the way, Bianca KDE runs flawlessly and itś the best of all the Kubuntu Bases. :roll:

Bernado
bernado

Post by bernado »

Hy Florian,

I did the following: Systemeinstellungen (systemsetting), Land/Region& Sprache (County and Language) selected Deutschland (German), then anwenden (apply), go to Tastaurlayout (Keyboard) and "Hinzufügen" (Add) the language you need. Make sure that the new language is on top or delete the other language. This woks definetely

Knetworkmanager. I had to delete it, because I am connnected via DSL Modem to Internet using a networkcard, I dont use a router. In this case you have to delete the netork-manager. In the new version Kubuntu/Ubuntu Feisty this step is not necessary. I hope I could helpjavascript:emoticon(':wink:')

Bernado
Rafe
Level 1
Level 1

Mint KDE

Post by Rafe »

Clem,

Finally found a few minutes to install Mint KDE. It is outstanding. My goodness, what an achievement! Thank you.

Rafe
ceti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ceti »

I installed the mini edition and it's great.

I installed Beryl from here:
http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Inst ... ith_nVidia
and it works smoothly.

Now, I uninstalled KOffice but can't manage to install OpenOffice successfully. Can anyone tell me the packages I have to mark on Synaptic?

Congratulations, Clem. I have the Gnome edition on my other machine. I love it, too.
Sorry, but that's the way it is.
denz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by denz »

Downloaded and installed the DVD version.

Looks great!

This is one of the better KDE desktops I've seen yet.

Seems to have less clutter than other KDE distros.

Still having problems with the wireless connection.
Having trouble with the Intel Pro 2200 driver.
I will try and post this in the correct forum.

Other than that, great job!!

Derek
bernado

Kmail Kwallet does not save passwort

Post by bernado »

@florianr and others

Hy,

there is a problem with kwallet that concerns kmail and probably kntworkmanager and others because kwallet is used for passwort configuration. See

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kd ... +bug/67521

For german users:
http://forum.kubuntu-de.org/index.php?topic=6193.0

This bug is already pretty old and it is probably solved with Kubuntu Feisty. Sometimes I don´t understand the Kubuntu/Ubuntu developers. Bugs remain unsolved for too long !!

Bernado
gramnemo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gramnemo »

What languages are español? Russian?
ido
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ido »

Hi granmeno,

The installation is in English but then you can change the language to Spanish, for example using System>Language Selector, and the in the list that will come up choose Spanish. If you have an Spanish keyboard also change from the default us to Spanish using Settings>Keyboard>Layout and pick up Spanish or Latin American keyboard.

If you need more information in Spanish post your questions in the Spanish sub-forum.

Hasta la próxima.
gramnemo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gramnemo »

ido wrote:Hi granmeno,

The installation is in English but then you can change the language to Spanish, for example using System>Language Selector, and the in the list that will come up choose Spanish. If you have an Spanish keyboard also change from the default us to Spanish using Settings>Keyboard>Layout and pick up Spanish or Latin American keyboard.

If you need more information in Spanish post your questions in the Spanish sub-forum.

Hasta la próxima.
Muchas gracias :)
mfab
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mfab »

florianr_ wrote:Thanks for the KDE Version, its fine.

But I have two Problems, after installing it:

1.) After each reboot the keyboard layout in kde is US, and not german, as I selected while installing bianca. I alway change keyboard layout in kcontrol, but after reboot it is US again. How could I change that permanent?

2) Knetwortmanager is allways starting up with kdesu and asking for the password. Is that necessary?

Sad but true I have to agree.
There must be some kind of bug still in there with KDM I guess.

First logon after initial install worked perfect and no problems with login.
Changed a few network settings (nothing too much) and rebooted
Second login: Somehow KDM totally messed up with the language layout.
Suddenly KDM only has U.S. keyboard layout which is really like hell if you have some password with layout-conflicts. And there is no option to switch back. KDE could be convinced via the settings to use german layout, but no chance for KDM-Login.

Any ideas/help? :cry:

bernado could you have a look and try to enter something at KDM so you can actually see that you have german layout? (like entering "yöü" as a username so you can validate you have the right layout)
Thanks in advance.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”