Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” Xfce released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” Xfce released!

Post by clem »

mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” Xfce released!

Post by mingle »

Great stuff Clem - the best version of Linux Mint is now out in the wild!

Congratulations (and many thanks) to you and the rest of the hard-working Linux Mint team!

Cheers,

Mike.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Awesome! Thank you!
Hollandhook

Post by Hollandhook »

Installed this morning. Not a single blip. Thank you.
wh7qq
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wh7qq »

Mint is just the best. Period.

The Mint 18 xfce .iso on my USB drive boots great on an Athlon II/Gigabyte combo and an Asus AM1-MA but refuses to go beyond the initial boot countdown on my Intel MUD2700 (64 bit quad core atom). It won't even do an integrity check and starting in compatibility mode is only a little better, showing several screens of loading code and then going black/non-responsive shortly after loading the initramfs. This box installed and runs 17.2 just fine...using it right now.
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

Upgraded via the Mint upgrade tool. All appeared to go well (although it took a lot longer than a fresh install) except that now, boot takes 2 minutes (SSD) whereas with 17.3 it used to take about 10 seconds.

Oliverjames
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

@oliverjames

All four of my computers don't have SSD's in them. Just the old type since they're relatively large drives ranging in size from 1-2 terabytes and they're inexpensive compared to SSD's. Since I'm old school, when it comes to operating systems, I'm not a fan of using any type of migration tool to install a new operating system.

So I back up all my files (bookmarks, pictures), settings to a large flash drive or external drive and then install the new operating system. My boot time for all of my four computers running Mint 18 (Xfce) is around 30 seconds which I don't find long since all my computers range in age from 4 to 6 years old. Once Mint 18 was installed, I re-load all of my programs (with their settings), restore my files, pictures and I'm good to go.

BTW, it takes me about 2 hours to do each computer but I don't mind the time spent because for me to get the operating system I want and purring like a kitten on all four of my computers, it's a labor of love.

Try installing Mint 18 with a fresh install and see if that works for you with your SSD.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

Night Wing wrote:@oliverjames

All four of my computers don't have SSD's in them. Just the old type since they're relatively large drives ranging in size from 1-2 terabytes and they're inexpensive compared to SSD's. Since I'm old school, when it comes to operating systems, I'm not a fan of using any type of migration tool to install a new operating system.

So I back up all my files (bookmarks, pictures), settings to a large flash drive or external drive and then install the new operating system. My boot time for all of my four computers running Mint 18 (Xfce) is around 30 seconds which I don't find long since all my computers range in age from 4 to 6 years old. Once Mint 18 was installed, I re-load all of my programs (with their settings), restore my files, pictures and I'm good to go.

BTW, it takes me about 2 hours to do each computer but I don't mind the time spent because for me to get the operating system I want and purring like a kitten on all four of my computers, it's a labor of love.

Try installing Mint 18 with a fresh install and see if that works for you with your SSD.
Hi. I've moved this to the Installation and boot section. I'd like to avoid the new install if possible although I agree that it's the best way of ensuring a good result.
kb5050

Post by kb5050 »

When can we expect the update from 17.2 XFCE to 18 XFCE?
It stated in the current release that there was a delay for XFCE.

And can you remind me of the steps to perform the update? I think it is supposed to install an update application for this.

I do plan full backup before attempting it of course. I expect it will go well as long as all my customizing stays put.

Thanks.... XFCE is the best distribution IMHO.
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

kb5050 wrote:When can we expect the update from 17.2 XFCE to 18 XFCE?
It stated in the current release that there was a delay for XFCE.

And can you remind me of the steps to perform the update? I think it is supposed to install an update application for this.

I do plan full backup before attempting it of course. I expect it will go well as long as all my customizing stays put.

Thanks.... XFCE is the best distribution IMHO.
Take a look at "Mint 18 Upgrade from 17.3 Question" in the installation and boot section.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”