Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” KDE – BETA Release

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” KDE – BETA Release

Post by xenopeek »

MtnDewManiac wrote:I thought sudo was for non-GUI applications and that su(?) was the one that was intended/safe/correct for GUI ones? Or is that a faulty memory on my part (entirely possible :lol: ).
Nope. Always use kdesudo for GUI programs. I've made a short tutorial to cover the differences between gksudo/kdesudo, sudo, and su: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=228412
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

MMcD488 wrote:It took me 3 tries to get the live usb to get to a desktop, but I've been sampling it for a couple hours now and man is KDE pretty. I may switch over from Cinnamon once the stable version releases.
Welcome to the darkside.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

I'm surprised I didn't see this thread earlier! A lovely present for all of us KDE fans :mrgreen:

I'll be giving this a test run on the media/fileserver (machine I'm typing this on) tonight. I too intend to switch this machine from Cinnamon as its main DE but don't worry Clem & co; I do love Cinnamon too and will have at least one machine with it on .. probably dual-boot this one and maybe a multi-boot on the Acer netbook as that is also my demo machine, so I can show people the other desktop environments Mint has to offer :D (17.3 KDE is really fast on this now after a few recent updates).

Thanks very very much for your efforts. Wish I'd discovered Mint long ago, would have saved so much frustration!
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
deleted

Post by deleted »

I'm amazed at how fast it is on my netbook.
-H
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

hinto wrote:I'm amazed at how fast it is on my netbook.
-H
Exactly. Yes it's been upgraded to 2GB RAM and has a 320GB 7200RPM HDD with plenty of space in the partitions and a decent sized swap partition but things like Wobbly Windows work just fine on a machine like this. It's a bit too fast though now with a few recent updates as it's not allowing enough time to buffer some of tthe videos resulting in a brief hiccup half a second after it starts! Something I'll have to work on.

Should have said are you running 18 on this?
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
deleted

Post by deleted »

I got wobbly windows using OpenGL 3.1 (in the Display/Compositor settings)
It (my Asus) has 2 gb of ram and I change the HDD to a Samsung 250 GB SDD.
Man the innards are small in a netbook ;)
But it cruises along great! Kinda dispels the "bloated" moniker of KDE ;)
-H
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

xenopeek wrote:
MtnDewManiac wrote:I thought
Nope. Always use kdesudo for GUI programs. I've made a short tutorial to cover the differences between gksudo/kdesudo, sudo, and su: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=228412
Off-topic, so I will make this brief: Thank you! I rarely find myself running applications as root (other than very occasionally "open directory as root" in a file manager), but I have done so and probably will again - and I have been unsure about the correct command. I will bookmark your fine thread/tutorial. I assume I am a little slow on that, lol, and that everyone else has already done so :wink: .

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
MMcD488
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MMcD488 »

I ran into a couple more issues:
1.Ark won’t open .zip files for me. I click on them and Ark opens, but nothing is listed there and the extract button is grayed out. I ended up having to use the terminal to unzip the folder.
2. KWin segfaults randomly sometimes when I open Google Chrome or Spotify. In the error reporting menu, if I click debug it says that I don’t have the necessary permissions and if I click backtrace it says there isn’t any useful info to report a bug, I’m at a loss on how to try and stop it from happening. Although adding a new theme from the Chrome store for Google Chrome (I had it set to use the default GTK one before) seems to have helped somewhat in that department.
New Linux enthusiast
Old Mint box - Dell XPS m140 running Mint 18.2 32-bit with XFCE and LXQt
deleted

Post by deleted »

Ark seems fine to me.
I had 2 times I had to reboot after returning from a suspended session
I had to reboot when I plugged a trackball in before I logged in. I had it configured to disable the trackpad when a mouse is plugged in, so maybe it had something to do with the notifier.
-H
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

The only big problem that I had was creating activities. As it turned out kactivitymanagerd was not included in the setup. Someone is not getting a beer! :-)

It was an easy fix via Install New Applications... OK you can have that beer....

I have been running this Beta bare metal on a second drive... several installs, several days running and getting myself ready for the final release.

I did not have enough sound volume for my headphones but installing Pulse Audio Volume Control gave me the 130% that I needed with no other actions.

All in all, everything is running fine so far. This one looks like a keeper! :-)

Thank You Mint Team and Cheers!

Jim
Linux.Blue

Post by Linux.Blue »

I tried only the live boot, didn't install it.

It booted up just fine on my laptop. I went to take care of my son for a little while & came back to some "been logged out" sort of screen and the option to log back in with a password. I had no password set up, this was only a liveboot. I couldn't press any buttons or enter anything through and rebooting the computer didn't allow me to get back into the liveboot. It was basically just a blank screen.
Last edited by Linux.Blue on Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
virusdunil

Post by virusdunil »

Hi...ive tried it for a while and lots of Kwin crashes...even more with desktop effects (wabbling window,magig lamp,desintegrate ect.

it ran well when disabling every desktop effects...no more Kwin crashes :roll:
Nevertimes

Post by Nevertimes »

Hi! I have troubles in installation Mint 18 KDE Beta.
I'm using VirtualBox 5.0.x in different pc: Host Machines is Windows 8.1 and Linux Mint 17.3 and problem is same.
I'm successfully boot from ISO, clicking "Install this system pemanently on HDD", selecting (russian/english)language. On second question "Install media (wifi-flash-mp3) - i cant click "Continue" button, only "Back". I believe, you can fix thi stupid error.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

This is not the proper place for support questions and not for beta bug reports.

As I believe, that this is a settings issue please open a new thread in the proper board of the forum. Include the answer for this question:
Can you proceed, if you deselect the additional software?
MMcD488
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MMcD488 »

virusdunil wrote:Hi...ive tried it for a while and lots of Kwin crashes...even more with desktop effects (wabbling window,magig lamp,desintegrate ect.

it ran well when disabling every desktop effects...no more Kwin crashes :roll:
I had a lot of kwin crashes myself. For me, it was when opening GTK apps like Thunderbird, Chrome, and Spotify. I found that going into Settings>Window Management>KWin Scripts and disabling the default one for enforcing window decorations on GTK apps helped out immensely. I haven't had any crashes since disabling this and I still have all of the fancy effects (wobbly windows, magic lamp, etc.) enabled.
New Linux enthusiast
Old Mint box - Dell XPS m140 running Mint 18.2 32-bit with XFCE and LXQt
virusdunil

Post by virusdunil »

Hi...ive switched to my kde 18 hdd and will try settings with what you said about Kwin script...box is now unticked and...well see how it goes...thanks for sharing :wink:

EDIT...

it didnt took long to test the new settings....still have my strange window behavior...so for me its....Back to the Previous :lol:
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

So, does this require a fresh install?
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Yes.

Do you really want to install the beta version or did you post in the wrong thread?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”