Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” KDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
aelfinn

No German keyboard layout to be found

Post by aelfinn »

Absolutely excellent release, I’m impressed!

One thing, though: I can’t seem to find a German keyboard layout. Might this be due to missing language support? (Other *ubuntu versions used to prompt right after install that certain language files might be missing and whether you wanted to install them.) Any help much appreciated!
MMcD488
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” KDE released!

Post by MMcD488 »

Dr G wrote:
momist wrote:There have recently been a few negative comments about LM18 KDE on here. So what are the compelling reasons that I should give it a try?
Compelling reasons for LM18 KDE? Well, I would consider Dolphin a compelling reason, if it's root capabilities were not missing in Mint. :roll: KDE Connect is also showing great promise, but it's just not there yet. I guess what keeps me in KDE are activities, widgets, and stability. With perhaps stability getting the nod as the most compelling reason over Cinnamon. Even in the most current stable (unfinished) Plasma, which one might argue could still be considered a beta, I simply do not crash as often as I do in Cinnamon. Plasma rivals XFCE for stability, but with many, many, more features. Not to mention, plasma is both prettier and more easily customizable than XFCE. But, with appearance at least, Cinnamon rivals Plasma.

Best advice: Try it, but use what works best for you.
Dolphin has root capabilities. Right-click on a directory>Actions>Open As Root, unless you're talking about something else. That said, I agree with your statements. KDE has been significantly more stable on my machine than Cinnamon was. Cinnamon used to freeze up my computer constantly. Also KDE is gorgeous and I love the amount of customization it allows.
New Linux enthusiast
Old Mint box - Dell XPS m140 running Mint 18.2 32-bit with XFCE and LXQt
Dr G

Post by Dr G »

MMcD488 wrote:Dolphin has root capabilities. Right-click on a directory>Actions>Open As Root, unless you're talking about something else.
Arrgggh. My apologies.That is exactly what I was looking for. :oops:
jcoles
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jcoles »

I never liked KDE much before, but this release is quite attractive. I'm going to give it an extended try.
The UI is interestingly different from XFCE or MATE, if less consistent. Some examples:
  • the Update Manager "widget" doesn't respond to a left-click, when all the others do.
  • the Widget list (adding a widget) requires a double-click when everything else is single-click
  • removing a widget cannot be done from the icon's right-click menu or even in the Widget list. It took me a while to work out how to do it in the Panel Settings mode. I'd never before seen a Close button used to mean Remove. Right-click > "Remove this widget" would be more straightforward.
It's probably just a matter of learning all of the quirks.

As many others have done, I ended the annoying sluggishness by turning off file indexing. Would baloo stop hogging the CPU if I left the machine on overnight to complete the indexing of files? I don't use search anyway. My files are well organized.

An interesting OS.
virusdunil

Post by virusdunil »

For me,ive tried the latest kde mint,Kubuntu and peppermint...all with the latest/new kde and all equals the same...freezes and bungs :cry:

its related to KWIN script and maybe my GC (radeon) or PC so,for now,will stick with 17.3...its a charm :mrgreen:
Last edited by virusdunil on Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smash72

Post by smash72 »

I've tried latest Kubuntu and it was crap. Many problems. Before trying Kubuntu I used Linus Mint 17 Kde for a long time without problems. Now I've used Linux Mint 18 Kde since the beta version was released. Everything have from the beginning worked like a charm. No problems. This is the best Linux Mint KDE release.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

smash72 wrote:I've tried latest Kubuntu and it was crap. Many problems. Before trying Kubuntu I used Linus Mint 17 Kde for a long time without problems. Now I've used Linux Mint 18 Kde since the beta version was released. Everything have from the beginning worked like a charm. No problems. This is the best Linux Mint KDE release.
Have you voted on my poll? I could do with the figures! :D
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
virusdunil

Post by virusdunil »

Just to let you know...yesterday got an used Acer laptop Aspire E1-531-4836...

installed KDE18 and mounted like my 17.3 pc with almost the same settings...

install was real easy and fast as usual :wink:

i had graphic problems with kde 18 on my pc and dont see them on the laptop (kwin crash)

just hope its gonna stay like this :mrgreen:
virusdunil

Post by virusdunil »

Again...same thing happened on the laptop this time..Kwin crashed the next day...tried another kernel...tried different settings,deactivate all desktop effects/kwin script without luck.

Reverted to 17 .3 and it works like a charm on my laptop (and my HP pc )...this ROSA is a real kick in tha butt :lol:
GordB

Post by GordB »

With this POS HP, I have wasted far too many hours attempting to get a good solid working desktop free of kernel panic due to AMD drivers, Ubuntu seems to have that fixed so this HP is sticking to it. Thanks everyone for ideas.
xmohd

Post by xmohd »

Thanks Clem and Team for your hard work. It's a truly amazing release. My only 2 problems with this version is that I lost the Thumbs to my videos & the other problem is with the multiple display panels (not stable and I have to re set my desktop's panel in each screen). Other than that I don't have any issues and it's working great for me.

Do we know if the KDE version will be updated to 5.8 ?
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Jedinovice wrote:[Have you voted on my poll? I could do with the figures! :D
Where is your poll? I can add something interesting for you, although I only installed KDE 18 in a VM.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

DeMus wrote:
Jedinovice wrote:[Have you voted on my poll? I could do with the figures! :D
Where is your poll? I can add something interesting for you, although I only installed KDE 18 in a VM.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=229944&start=20

Cheers!
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

Return to “Releases & Announcements”