Linux Mint 18.1 “Serena” Cinnamon released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
humdinger70

Re: Linux Mint 18.1 “Serena” Cinnamon released!

Post by humdinger70 »

Noticed two things in the update from 18.0 to 18.1

1) MintUpdate reset the default of updates to safe mode (showing/OK to update only levels 1,2,3). I had it set to show all (OK to update levels 1,2,3; view only for levels 4,5) to get back to what I had.

2) Screensaver is not working. I have it turned on - always have had it on since initial 18.0 install. In 18.0 when I came back to a dark screen and pressed a key on the keyboard, it would prompt for my password. The upgrade to 18.1 rendered that inoperative - pressing a key on the keyboard goes right back to the desktop without prompting for a password. Not a major problem as I have nothing critical on this box, but I like my setup to remain.

Item #1 I fixed. Need help with item #2.
jbalint

Post by jbalint »

Hi Team!
I just want to send you congratulation from Hungary, Budapest. I enjoy Serena.Cinnamon, it is gorgeous! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I migrated from Windows to LxM.Sarah.Cinnamon last summer with no former Lx experience. Still, soon I felt familiar with it.
Only I had to face first with a network and a video problem on my Aver Aspire V3-372, however, I found solutions for both of them on the net.

Now I replaced my HDD with an SSD, and installed the new Serena.Cinnamon. And now wifi and video work fine out of the box!
LxM is very nice and elegant OS.
Congratulation!
masoodimran

Post by masoodimran »

Hello Team,

I am from India and wanted to let you know that I am just loving the Linux Mint 18.1 Serena Cinnamon on my Apple MacBook Pro. I have no regret that I made the right decision to move to Linux Mint. Thank you for the excellent work and support.

Thanks,
Masood
humdinger70

Post by humdinger70 »

humdinger70 wrote:Noticed two things in the update from 18.0 to 18.1

1) MintUpdate reset the default of updates to safe mode (showing/OK to update only levels 1,2,3). I had it set to show all (OK to update levels 1,2,3; view only for levels 4,5) to get back to what I had.

2) Screensaver is not working. I have it turned on - always have had it on since initial 18.0 install. In 18.0 when I came back to a dark screen and pressed a key on the keyboard, it would prompt for my password. The upgrade to 18.1 rendered that inoperative - pressing a key on the keyboard goes right back to the desktop without prompting for a password. Not a major problem as I have nothing critical on this box, but I like my setup to remain.

Item #1 I fixed. Need help with item #2.
A recent update (including a kernel update) fixed it (item #2) without me having to do anything. I checked and cinammon-screensaver is the latest version (3.2.1.13).
JackA

Post by JackA »

@Clem - While I appreciate the new version, I have a newer laptop with a Skylake chipset. When can we expect a release with a 4.8 kernel to improve support for these specific chipsets and hardware?

Believe me, this isn't a slight against the existing versions, I've just got wireless issues with my Intel WLAN card that are supposedly addressed by the new kernel. As a n00b, I don't feel comfortable with poking around where I shouldn't...
humdinger70

Post by humdinger70 »

JackA wrote:@Clem - While I appreciate the new version, I have a newer laptop with a Skylake chipset. When can we expect a release with a 4.8 kernel to improve support for these specific chipsets and hardware?

Believe me, this isn't a slight against the existing versions, I've just got wireless issues with my Intel WLAN card that are supposedly addressed by the new kernel. As a n00b, I don't feel comfortable with poking around where I shouldn't...
Ubuntu is about to release a point upgrade to 16.04 that will include a newer 4.8 kernel. I believe scheduled for Jan 19. Just wait a bit for Clem to make those changes to Mint (probably Mint 18.2?)
tell

Post by tell »

JackA wrote:@Clem - While I appreciate the new version, I have a newer laptop with a Skylake chipset. When can we expect a release with a 4.8 kernel to improve support for these specific chipsets and hardware?

Actually the 4.8 kernel is available through Linux kernels through Update Manager. I ran all through 4.8.0-34 the latest with KDE and Cinnamon and I am pretty sure they do address the Skylake chipset as well as newer wireless and they were pretty stable. I was running Cinnamon 18.1 and KDE 18 with Plasma 5.8.4 and 5.8.5 at the time though my hardware is older than yours. You might try them. There are 4 available
Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy »

Installed this on my new PC. So far all good, I like the improved interface and smooth windows animations. Only one minor problem: sometimes it doesn't reconnect to ethernet after suspension. Solved by manually switching it off and on.
humdinger70

Post by humdinger70 »

humdinger70 wrote:

Ubuntu is about to release a point upgrade to 16.04 that will include a newer 4.8 kernel. I believe scheduled for Jan 19. Just wait a bit for Clem to make those changes to Mint (probably Mint 18.2?)
I just saw that Ubuntu has postponed their point upgrade until February 2nd. So be patient a little longer.
chrisra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chrisra »

I was wondering, since I haven't found a recent discussion about this elsewhere (last one 2014): With Ubuntu using Canonical's own Mir nowadays, are there plans for Mint to follow suit in some future version? Or will it rather go along with Wayland, or stay with Xorg?
humdinger70

Post by humdinger70 »

humdinger70 wrote:
humdinger70 wrote:

I just saw that Ubuntu has postponed their point upgrade until February 2nd. So be patient a little longer.
Postponed AGAIN until February 9.
auspilot

Post by auspilot »

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in :)

I have read a lot about Serena and how people don't like how the menu's dont have a border, hard to describe but think of a white desktop when you go to a window the desktop and window blend in so there is nothing to seperate.

I was wondering can you use the same "cinnamon" theme that is currently on 18.0 with 18.1 or must you use the one that comes with it?

Also anyway you can use the same login screen as 18.0 as I notice 18.1 has a different one.

So sorry if this comes across dumb.
ElStellino
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ElStellino »

I’ve just updated to Serena and so far so good! :)
The only thing I’ve noticed is that there is not any more a Recent/Recently used folder to pick up recent files, neither in Nemo, nor in FF (but there is in T-Bird) when uploading a file like a screenshot, for instance.
Am I the only one experiencing this? That’s a very little bug, but a massive nuisance, unfortunately :/
Linux Mint 21.1 – Cinnamon-64

Hardware, since 2009 – still rocking:
MB - ASRock H55DE3
Core i3 530 2.93Ghz 
4Gb DDR3 Ram Dual Channel
And there’s a new entry!
Acer laptop
Intel© Core™ i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz × 2
6GB RAM
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

activate it from the privacy settings of the system.
ElStellino
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ElStellino »

Cosmo. wrote:activate it from the privacy settings of the system.
Oh, wow, thank you cosmo!
Can’t believe how easy that was!
Linux Mint 21.1 – Cinnamon-64

Hardware, since 2009 – still rocking:
MB - ASRock H55DE3
Core i3 530 2.93Ghz 
4Gb DDR3 Ram Dual Channel
And there’s a new entry!
Acer laptop
Intel© Core™ i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz × 2
6GB RAM
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

So far so good. I have had no issues with it at all. I am going to end up replacing my desktop since it is slowly dying, and I decided that the new system will be a dual boot Linux/Windows system. I am waiting on the new AMD Ryzen chips to hit so I can get an 8 core. So far lots of loving on for 18.1!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

MountDew

Post by MountDew »

Update from 18 to 18.1 went very smooth... another great job Clem... Thank you for all you hard work and effort.... Very much appreciated here... :D :D
ephraimshofar

Post by ephraimshofar »

MurphCID wrote:http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linu ... erena.html

Not a fan apparently.
I've used Ubuntu, Fedora, Red Hat... and other Linux Distros since ...98? (been awhile). Mint is by far the best at doing what it says it will do in a Linux Distro then I've seen in 19 years... I don't understand why this guy's giving all the grief - unless he/she is biased...
MintyO

Post by MintyO »

ephraimshofar wrote:
MurphCID wrote:http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linu ... erena.html

Not a fan apparently.
I've used Ubuntu, Fedora, Red Hat... and other Linux Distros since ...98? (been awhile). Mint is by far the best at doing what it says it will do in a Linux Distro then I've seen in 19 years... I don't understand why this guy's giving all the grief - unless he/she is biased...
I've been reading that site for years. I think you're jumping to a conclusion a bit.. plus his style is a tad eccentric.

He has praised Mint many times in the past. Mint 17.3 Xfce just won the best distro (or was it best Xfce-distro) of the year recently. Point being, that comparing my own experiences with 17 series and 18, I'd lean on saying that 17 was/is at the moment the better one. What I think is the key point when you subtract his writing style.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”