Linux Mint 18.1 “Serena” Cinnamon released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 18.1 “Serena” Cinnamon released!

Post by clem »

josweet
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 18.1 “Serena” Cinnamon released!

Post by josweet »

And here is the official link for those having to search for it> https://linuxmint.com/download.php
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

Time to update my USB Stick Installers!
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

Clem... Will there be an upgrade path through update manager or does it need to be a fresh install?

Thanks for all you you and your team's excellent work!

*edit* Found the answer in the blog.
TooMuchTime

Post by TooMuchTime »

Woo HOO! Downloaded and USB created. I'll be upgrading soon.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I'll wait for the regular update.
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

That's interesting. I have just been offered the Mint Update in the update manager, and it tells me the URL cannot be reached. Too busy, I suspect! :mrgreen:
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Just did a cheeky mirror change because I couldn't wait. Now I'm on 18.1.
sikejsudjek

Post by sikejsudjek »

The update from 18 to 18.1 is in the update manager now. Just click on refresh and run updates. The upgrade appears in the menu options. :D
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

upgraded so far it looks good and works good
sikejsudjek

Post by sikejsudjek »

Updated 3 systems no problems so far. Seems quicker than 18.0 in use.
GryphonX77

Post by GryphonX77 »

Working well for me so far. Seems to have squashed some bugs...I'm no longer feeling as motivated to migrate off of Cinnamon. :) I had a little issue with a 3rd party window List, and Maximus no longer functions. But neither of those things are show-stoppers. All-in-all, a fine release! Thank you!
Chemical_Ali
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chemical_Ali »

I had a small issue with the 'window list with app grouping' applet, which disabled my panel. But, overall everything appears to be working ok.

Thanks for the early update manager update.
GryphonX77

Post by GryphonX77 »

Chemical_Ali wrote:I had a small issue with the 'window list with app grouping' applet, which disabled my panel. But, overall everything appears to be working ok.

Thanks for the early update manager update.
Yup, that's the same one I had a problem with. :)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I did the update, and it seems that everything went smoothly. Thanks guys for a painless upgrade. You sure as heck don't get that from Microsoft. It seems to have kept everything where it was supposed to be, and all my software seems to work.
mwbworld

Post by mwbworld »

Just did the upgrade this morning. it went smoothly and everything seems to be going well so far! :D
JeffWestMich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JeffWestMich »

Performed the upgrade on 2 systems, very fast and painless.

Just another reason that I left Micro$uck products.
NChewie

Post by NChewie »

Just upgraded my spare Dell Vostro 1014 from 18 Cinnamon 64bit to 18.1

Not only did it go smoothly, but it now has wifi working without the need for an external dongle! :D
PJO3

Post by PJO3 »

Upgraded my Lenovo Thinkpad X200 (8 yrs old but with 8Gb and 250Gb SSD) from Mint 18 to 18.1 this evening.

So far so good. All seems well.

Minor comments:

1. During the update I got a message about /etc/mdm/Init/Default having changed and I was asked if I wanted to replace it or keep it. Historically, with Linux, I've found this to be a bit of a trick question (neither is necessarily the right answer). And many times when I've tried to compare the files -- when offered the opportunity (which Mint didn't) -- I've ended up little better off: because I couldn't back to where I was or the process of comparing the files was just too difficult using the default (diff) software.

Happily, I use a fabulous app for comparing and reconciling file and directory differences: Beyond Compare from Scootersoftware (it's commercial but worth every cent; it's one of the FIRST things I MUST install on any new machine, either Windows or Linux). So... I used the shell to make a backup of Default and then told Mint to replace it. I then used Beyond Compare to do a side by side comparison.

Replace, with no backup, would have cost me the following:

/usr/bin/x11vnc -dontdisconnect -notruecolor -noxfixes -shared -forever -rfbport 5900 -bg -o /var/log/x11vnc.log -rfbauth /home/me/.vnc/passwd

a critical fix

Keep, would have cost me

/usr/bin/mdm-set-keyboard-layout

which wouldn't have mattered so much (I'm not using a Logitech keyboard). In general, I think this file versioning business a potential pitfall for new users and that it would be good to have a way of stepping through individual changes and of making a backup of the file replaced or changed. Isn't there SOME open source approximation to Beyond Compare that could be called on? How about Meld? http://alternativeto.net/software/meld/ ... opensource

2. I removed Banshee and replaced it with Rythmbox. Are there other changes I should make to give me an equivalent to a fresh install of 18.1? A list of things to do, optionally, would be nice.

Overall

Mint is fantastic and getting better. I love it.
pjc123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pjc123 »

Another smooth Clem update, this time on the Sandisk Extreme 3.0 USB drive (previous Mint 18 non-live install), used on my HP Stream 11 laptop.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”