Linux Mint 18.1 “Serena” KDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 18.1 “Serena” KDE released!

Post by clem »

Habitual

Re: Linux Mint 18.1 “Serena” KDE released!

Post by Habitual »

Good job and well done.
o-l-d

Post by o-l-d »

Very nice update and many thanks to Clem, the development team, testers, and Kubuntu team. I did a test in virtual machine of upgrading from fresh install of Mint 18 KDE using Mint Updater to upgrade to 18.1 KDE. It went flawlessly with no errors or crashes. Everyone should update because Plasma 5.8.5 is very much more stable than the version included in Linux Mint 18 KDE.
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

Thanks for all your effort I have recently (3days ago) downgraded KDE 18 to KDE 17.3, And I am loving it ! 99% (1% left is for a flaw on windows decoration , getting new ones). So I will wait a bit to make a fresh install again. Regards , and thank you again guys!
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

Running fresh install on bare metal... No bugs so far, no complaints. 18.0 is history! :D

Cheers!

Jim
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

Is there something I need to do to upgrade?

edit: Oh, I see, it's an option under Edit in Update Manager.
Try politeness; people will like you for it.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Runs like a champ!
Thanks
-H
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

So this is not a beta release any longer?
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
joalruch

Post by joalruch »

This stable version is installed trough updates in the beta version?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

joalruch wrote:This stable version is installed trough updates in the beta version?
I have read somewhere on the forums that doing it that way you will end up with something slightly different than what you get in a fresh install, but I don't really remember the details. I think maybe the video stack was changed between the beta and the final release. Others here will know the details.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

joalruch wrote:This stable version is installed trough updates in the beta version?
Yes. No worries. :)

A conceivable difference might be for example, if the bèta would have an older kernel than the final, and if you would have selected the most cautious update policy ("Don't break my computer"). But that doesn't apply in this case: the kernel of the final is identical to the one of the bèta.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

Of course, there was a recent kernel update since then, but I'll bet it was made available to bot version 18 and 18.1.
Last edited by Dngrsone on Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

I dl'd it and ran it from a USB stick, but wasn't real impressed. I used to be a big fan of KDE but it's gotten way too bloated over the years. I wanted to see what "X" apps would do but was so turned off by the whole experience I didn't bother with a lot.

If I get a spare HDD kicking around I'll install it to a disk and see if it settles down a bit. Sometimes Live versions don't offer the true experience, but a Live version is your first look at what it will be like, and this first impression wasn't good.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
PakDroid

Post by PakDroid »

I am new in LinuxMint.
And I really enjoy Linux mint.
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

Arch_Enemy wrote:I dl'd it and ran it from a USB stick, but wasn't real impressed. I used to be a big fan of KDE but it's gotten way too bloated over the years. I wanted to see what "X" apps would do but was so turned off by the whole experience I didn't bother with a lot.

If I get a spare HDD kicking around I'll install it to a disk and see if it settles down a bit. Sometimes Live versions don't offer the true experience, but a Live version is your first look at what it will be like, and this first impression wasn't good.
Was there a time when KDE wasn't bloated?
Alejandros1989
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alejandros1989 »

So ... because Mint is based on the latest LTS version of Ubuntu and it is just out of the 16.04.2 ... Mint also will be updated accordingly ?
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Dngrsone wrote:
Arch_Enemy wrote:I dl'd it and ran it from a USB stick, but wasn't real impressed. I used to be a big fan of KDE but it's gotten way too bloated over the years. I wanted to see what "X" apps would do but was so turned off by the whole experience I didn't bother with a lot.

Yes: now. I use it on Manjaro and it is fast as lightning. It is just as fast as (some even say faster than) XFCE and it uses way less memory than ever before.
Just installed Manjaro 17 rc1 cause I am so convinced it is good that I dare to use as main OS. Until now zero problems. Am mighty impressed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Dear Clem and all the Linux Mint developers and maintainers, KDE developers, etc...

I have always been extremely impressed with all the wonderful editions of Linux Mint which get better and better with each version update, and of course this excellent forum.

Linux Mint 18.x are major updates switching base systems from Ubuntu 14.04 to Ubuntu 16.04 and naturally it took some time to get where it is now with even better and more stable version 18.1.

I have been using Linux Mint KDE 17.x for years and now version 17.3 which is awesome and super stable; I love it. Even on my ancient under-powered hardware, it has run well albeit slowly for some things like video and audio editing because of my limited computer hardware not the operating system.

I have been testing Linux Mint 18 KDE since it came out and in my humble opinion it was not ready until Plasma 5.8 became available which is already part of Linux Mint KDE 18.1.

Personally, I think Linux Mint 18.1 is great, fast, and stable. I am very impressed. I do not think it uses any more system memory than before, and it seems faster too me.

I do miss some features of Plasma 4.x (custom virtual desktops vs "Activities") and some applications and widgets that have not yet been upgraded to Plasma 5.8 (Knemo, Fortune, etc...). But, with this update all KDE Plasma 5.8 users can now use some some new applications, and some significantly upgraded and improved software applications, which can only be installed and or updated using Linux Mint 18.x (Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial).

Thank you ! :)
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

DeMus wrote:
Dngrsone wrote:

Yes: now. I use it on Manjaro and it is fast as lightning. It is just as fast as (some even say faster than) XFCE and it uses way less memory than ever before.
Just installed Manjaro 17 rc1 cause I am so convinced it is good that I dare to use as main OS. Until now zero problems. Am mighty impressed.

Manjaro is Arch based, a double-edged sword. For tweaking, customizing and just making things work (by hook or by crook) you can usually get Arch to knuckle down and make it work. Just watch that 5th 'upgrade'!

When I get things working just they way I want them I should just pull the "Upgrade" plug and leave it where it is...

The Manjaro guys aren't "rolling release" crazy, however and only roll out the upgrades when they're sure they work. However, for me, loading odd packages and massaging them so thjey work, it can still cause issues, especially if one library says, "Oh! That library is out of date! Guess I'll just replace it!" and either stops your handinstalled a tweaked application form running, or just bricks your system entirely. :(
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
braingateway

Post by braingateway »

the software source list does not contain all valid mirrors. It only has American mirrors and partial EU mirrors, all other mirrors are missing.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”