Linux Mint 6 KDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
globetrotterdk

Re: Linux Mint 6 KDE released!

Post by globetrotterdk »

I can't get past the first line that states "ISOLINUX" I get a blinking cursor on the next line. I am using an IBM ThinkCentre A50p. DVD boots fine on a Dell laptop. I don't get it. This wasn't a problem with RC1.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

khunrut wrote:
kenetics wrote:
Any new word on the static ip address issue? It would not let me use static ip in live cd mode. I could enter and save but the connection showed as "unmanaged" in taskbar. Other posts in this thread show problems with static addressing on install. I want to make sure I can use static address before I install. Other than that worked pretty nice in Live CD mode.
I have finally managed to get a static ip address for wired Internet - even if dns numbers are required. I edited the interfaces file, using sudo kate, deleted everything that was there and added the following (enter your own numbers of course!):

Code: Select all

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
allow-hotplug eth0

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.99
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
broadcast 192.168.1.255
dns-nameservers 80.58.0.33 80.58.32.97

auto eth0
The trick is to add the dns here, not in resolv.conf, using dns-nameservers as per the code above. If you enter them in resolv.conf they will just get over-writtten by knetwork manager.

As you say, the network manager icon then shows eth0 as being "unmanaged" but this does not affect performance at all. If you use the above code and then enter ifconfig in a terminal, you should see the changes you want. You might need to log out/in again or reboot to make sure.

Hope this helps someone.

RJ
arbocorp

Post by arbocorp »

I'm not sure if this is the correct area to post but I'm hoping someone will point me in the right direction. Well, I installed KDE CE edition as a fresh install on my test sata notebook drive. I really like how refined the KDE desktop LOOKS as opposed to the Gnome version. Here are my initial findings so far.

I noticed during partition phase the install has improved from the beta version BUT it is not as gui friendly or as sleek looking as the Gnome version; HOWEVER, it WORKED while the beta gave me one error after another.

Like the Gnome version, the KDE suggested a third party video driver and installed it without a hitch. The desktop affects THEN turned on automatically, very nice. Oh, the ART Work is really NICE, up to par with the mainstream.

I like the install manager and how you can search other repositories other than Linux Mint and install them on the spot.

What I had the MOST trouble with was the wireless networking. The Gnome version instantly picked up my wireless router and I can install it in seconds. The KDE version picked it once then couldn't "see" it for the longest time. I'm not sure what I did, IF I did anything. I tried to install other Wi-Fi utilities so I'm not sure if what I did worked or if the Network Manager worked after I restarted it. That was the most frustrating thing of all.

Oh, one more thing. In the Gnome version of Linux Mint, I can't watch flash videos from start to finish within Firefox. I can start it but it will eventually stop and won't work if I refresh it. However, in the KDE version, I've been able to watch a full flash video from CNET, ie iPhone rumors/updates. What is KDE doing that Gnome isn't?

thanks!!
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

I did a clean install on my IBM ThinkPad T60, to give KDE a spin. I get the following error with KMail:

$ kmail
kmail: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkmailprivate.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN4KPIM8KMeditor16contextMenuEventEP17QContextMenuEvent

KMail refuses to start.

I am a total newbie with KDE - can anyone tell me what KMail, KWrite, etc. use for spell checking? Aspell, Ispell, or something else?

Cheers
phoenixrising

Post by phoenixrising »

globetrotterdk wrote:I did a clean install on my IBM ThinkPad T60, to give KDE a spin. I get the following error with KMail:

$ kmail
kmail: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkmailprivate.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN4KPIM8KMeditor16contextMenuEventEP17QContextMenuEvent

KMail refuses to start.

I am a total newbie with KDE - can anyone tell me what KMail, KWrite, etc. use for spell checking? Aspell, Ispell, or something else?

Cheers

Please check this thread http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 72#p142250 .. might be of help...
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Most of the bits were available and installed without a problem. Unfortunately there is a caveat:

Code: Select all

$ sudo aptitude install akonadi-kde                     
Reading package lists... Done                  
Building dependency tree                       
Reading state information... Done              
Reading extended state information             
Initializing package states... Done            
Writing extended state information... Done     
The following packages are BROKEN:             
  kdepimlibs5                                  
The following NEW packages will be installed:  
  akonadi-kde akonadi-server{a}                
The following packages will be REMOVED:        
  localechooser-data{u}                        
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 1 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
Need to get 3949kB of archives. After unpacking 10,2MB will be used.   
The following packages have unmet dependencies:                        
  kdepimlibs5: Conflicts: akonadi-kde (< 4:4.1.80~) but 4:4.1.4-0ubuntu1~intrepid2.1 is to be installed.                                                        
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:                          

Remove the following packages:
kdeadmin                      
kdeartwork                    
kdebase-workspace-bin         
kdenetwork                    
kdeplasma-addons              
kdeutils                      
knode                         
kscreensaver                  
kscreensaver-xsavers          
kubuntu-desktop               
python-plasma                 
python-plasma-examples        

Downgrade the following packages:
akregator [4:4.2.0-0ubuntu1~intrepid~ppa3 (now) -> 4:4.1.4-0ubuntu1~intrepid2.1
(intrepid-updates, intrepid-security)]
kaddressbook [4:4.2.0-0ubuntu1~intrepid~ppa3 (now) ->
4:4.1.4-0ubuntu1~intrepid2.1 (intrepid-updates, intrepid-security)]
kdepim-kresources [4:4.2.0-0ubuntu1~intrepid~ppa3 (now) ->
kdepim-strigi-plugins [4:4.2.0-0ubuntu1~intrepid~ppa3 (now) ->
kdepim-wizards [4:4.2.0-0ubuntu1~intrepid~ppa3 (now) ->
kdepimlibs5 [4:4.2.0-0ubuntu1~intrepid~ppa4 (now) ->
4:4.1.4-0ubuntu1~intrepid1.1 (intrepid-updates, intrepid-security)]
kgpg [4:4.2.0-0ubuntu1~intrepid1~ppa3 (now) -> 4:4.1.4-0ubuntu1~intrepid2
(intrepid-updates)]
knotes [4:4.2.0-0ubuntu1~intrepid~ppa3 (now) -> 4:4.1.4-0ubuntu1~intrepid2.1
kontact [4:4.2.0-0ubuntu1~intrepid~ppa3 (now) -> 4:4.1.4-0ubuntu1~intrepid2.1
kopete [4:4.2.0-0ubuntu1~intrepid~ppa2 (now) -> 4:4.1.4-0ubuntu1~intrepid1
(intrepid-updates)]
korganizer [4:4.2.0-0ubuntu1~intrepid~ppa3 (now) -> 4:4.1.4-0ubuntu1~intrepid2.1
ktimetracker [4:4.2.0-0ubuntu1~intrepid~ppa3 (now) -> 4:4.1.2-0ubuntu2
(intrepid)]
kuser [4:4.2.0-0ubuntu1~intrepid1~ppa2 (now) -> 4:4.1.4-0ubuntu1~intrepid1
(intrepid-updates)]
libkdepim4 [4:4.2.0-0ubuntu1~intrepid~ppa3 (now) -> 4:4.1.4-0ubuntu1~intrepid2.1
libkleo4 [4:4.2.0-0ubuntu1~intrepid~ppa3 (now) -> 4:4.1.4-0ubuntu1~intrepid2.1
python-kde4 [4:4.2.0-0ubuntu1~intrepid~ppa2 (now) -> 4:4.1.4-0ubuntu1~intrepid1
(intrepid-updates)]

Score is 578
I realize this is aptitude's response, but Synaptic had almost the same message. Oh, and for some reason there is no kmail 4.2.0 listed in the repositories.

Cheers
Husse

Post by Husse »

Post support questions in the support section - this topic is meant for people to tell their general impression, with a little this or that was fine/not fine :)
For the sound problem go through every setting for sound - there are many and especially alsamixer can cause problems
phoenixrising

Post by phoenixrising »

ario wrote:Hi
I've just installed linux mint 6 tonight. Tanks a lot for your great works.
I have two problems now. One of them is a bug with kde panel. every thing was good until I decided to resize my panel and now every time I login to my desktop "WIN" crashes and screen blinks for 1 minute and then I can work with it!
Another is that I can't hear any of those youtube flv videos. I mean all flv videos are muted. I've searched google a lot but all I've found was advertisements for lots of video converting applications under BILL GATES windows! :(
Do you know how to solve these problems?
Thanks again.
Ario.
Agree with Husse -- but just to help out, check with pulse audio manager settings (install it if you don't have it and do tweakings while you're running the flv/youtube page) -- particularly in the default sound source area.
NuBiXx

Post by NuBiXx »

I have Linux Mint 6 “Felicia” KDE CE installed and was wondering if it where save to upgrade to Kubuntu 9.04 ? Linux Mint 6 “Felicia” KDE CE is based from Kubuntu 8.10 right? If it's save how do I do it? thanks
Husse

Post by Husse »

NuBiXx wrote:I have Linux Mint 6 “Felicia” KDE CE installed and was wondering if it where save to upgrade to Kubuntu 9.04 ? Linux Mint 6 “Felicia” KDE CE is based from Kubuntu 8.10 right? If it's save how do I do it? thanks
To do something like that is the best way to get a trashed system without really working hard on it
Tex-Twil

Post by Tex-Twil »

Hello,
I have currently Mint KDE 3.5.10 and I'm somehow hesitating to switch to KDE 4. What is its status ? is it stable/usable enough ?

thanks,
Tex
Husse

Post by Husse »

is it stable/usable enough ?
I would say barely...
very nice but....
Boo has made a real effort to fix it
Tex-Twil

Post by Tex-Twil »

Husse wrote:
is it stable/usable enough ?
I would say barely...
so you would not recommend using it at work ?

Tex
russell

Post by russell »

This is just a few of my thoughts. I came to Mint when it was Bianca and have, until now, been using the Gnome edition, which I have been very happy with.
But with this new KDE release I thought I would give it a try. I also upgraded KDE to the latest release.
For sure KDE looks better but it is a bit slower on my system with P4 2.8 + 1 gb ram FX5900 graphics. Nothing special I know but Gnome is definitely faster.
Also I prefer the menu from Gnome. In KDE it doesnt always draw smoothly and I am using the classic menu as the Kickoff menu just doesnt suit the way I want to work. I installed GnomeDo as I love this app and it means that I very rarely use the menu at all now. I tried the KDE launcher but couldnt get on with it.
I'm into photography and in Gnome it instantly recognised my Nikon D90 whereas KDE doesn't, so I have to use a card reader in order to download my photos. Not a major thing but it is less convenient. However, saying this, I really like Gwenview. It is much better than the image viewer in Gnome and you can do much more with it and it helps my workflow a lot. As an aside I dont have any problems processing RAW camera files in Linux. The software is out there.
A count against both the Gnome and KDE versions is that Pulse Audio doesn't work on my machine with either of them. It is a good thing I don't use my PC for listening to music or watching films.
I must sound very negative saying all this but I enjoy having Mint on my PC and for my simple needs it generally works very well. I'm no PC wiz but I am prepared to tinker under the hood a little and the forums here are very helpful.
I think I will stick with KDE for the time being because I'm not a person who looks at their PC as a hobby and always changes editions or distros. For me a PC is an appliance. I just want get on and do some work. I can live with a few small annoyances as long as they don't become real problems
So keep up the good work guys and I really appreciate all your hard work.
Cheers

Russ
alc

Post by alc »

how can i upgrade my daryna-gnome? do i install everything by new?
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

@alc
yes the best way is to install fresh.
you are doing a big jump from daryna to felicia and from gnome to KDE.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
saltyp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by saltyp »

This is GOLD!
The team have done a wonderful job. Updates are still crazy huge after install. But thats OK for anyone with a good connection/plan etc. My OS of choice is Open SuSE KDE. My wife runs Mint/XP dual boot and I have Mint 6 on both my laptops. Currently Mint 6 KDE is installed on my Eeepc with the EeePC Kernel. The wife is happy with the gnome offerings but the KDE desktop has me at home and happy. Well done to Boo and the crew.
if it aint broken....dont let me near it
ebaut

Post by ebaut »

I`m testing this on VBox.. wonderful! :D

one day Mint will conquer the world :mrgreen:

Return to “Releases & Announcements”