Monthly News - March 2017

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Monthly News - March 2017

Post by clem »

Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Monthly News - March 2017

Post by Cosmo. »

Seldom as interesting to read as in this months. :D I am curious, how the end product (Mint 18.2) will show.
jcoles
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Monthly News - March 2017

Post by jcoles »

The Update Manager changes sound interesting. More information could be useful, but we really shouldn't have to overthink routine updates. Clear statements such as "breaks X" or specific recommendations like "upgrade only if you need thing Y" would help users who are not developers and cannot be expected to understand the intimate workings of the OS.

I laughed when I read, "Regressions will be presented as an inherent aspect of development." Two steps forward, one step back. Old fixes come unfixed. Believing that a regression is an upgrade requires Orwellian double-think. Perhaps you could warn "updates are not necessarily upgrades." If additional information in the Update Manager helps me to avoid potential problems, that's a good thing.

It's unclear to me what "the Manager will insist on staging and reviewing updates" actually means. Does the current Update Manager do this, or does it simply install?

In my experience, Linux Mint MATE has been solidly reliable from version 17 though to 18.1. I cavalierly installed every update as it came along and nothing ever broke that I could see. The evident quality of the product inspires a confidence in it that is sometimes undermined by Clem's messages of caution about upgrades and regressions. But he would know...

Keep up the great work.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”