Linux Mint 18.2 “Sonya” Cinnamon released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
MintBean

Re: Linux Mint 18.2 “Sonya” Cinnamon released!

Post by MintBean »

richlion2 wrote:Hello,

really great news and excellent job :P . My small question is - from a performance point of view is it better to do a clean install, in other words, would an update deteriorate performance slightly? I know, a Linux partition does not necessarily require a defrag like NTFS, but still?

Cheers,
Richard
Unlikely to make any odds whatsoever. What a lot of us old hands recommend to do is use the update manager to perform point updates (e.g. 18.1->18.2) and do a complete reinstall to move between major versions (e.g. 18->19). Having your data (movies, music etc) on a separate partition or a separate disc saves copying it over when you reinstall.
g33zr

Post by g33zr »

Great upgrade and a definitely improvement over 18.1. Thanks to Clem and the Mint team. :D
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Just a quick shout-out to Clem and the team to thank you for another excellent release.

I installed LM 18.2 64/Cinnamon two days ago on my 2011 MacBook Pro, and I couldn't be happier. It runs like a champ, very solidly.

This is a clean installation, as opposed to an upgrade-in-place which I know is also an available option (thanks to the team's efforts) but, as a veteran computer user going back more than 30 years, I do not believe in upgrade-installs. The only time I will do that is when it is forced by the OS vendor. And, because I don't run any commercial software or OSs personally, at this point it's only for the purpose of helping someone else out.

Thanks again, folks!
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Andiamo

Post by Andiamo »

Me too, I'm also really missing the "Right Click / Resize Icon" feature. That was a distinguishing feature, hard to understand that it got lost with all the improvements introduced in Cinnamon 3.4 related to icon handling. Please bring it back soon.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

MintBean wrote:...What a lot of us old hands recommend to do is use the update manager to perform point updates (e.g. 18.1->18.2) and do a complete reinstall to move between major versions (e.g. 18->19). Having your data (movies, music etc) on a separate partition or a separate disc saves copying it over when you reinstall.
Currently I have 18.2 on one drive with a separate partition for data and 18.1 on a separate SSD completely, using the same data partition as with the 18.2 installation. If I upgrade my SSD from 18.1 to 18.2, do I loose any configurations on that upgrade as I would if I did a fresh install?
Smile, it makes people wonder what you've been up to.
fleamour
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fleamour »

Used to get desktop lockup 18.0/1 but Nvidea driver with 18.2 sound as a pound! Also installed Intel microcode (never knew this was a thing), tower sleeps twice as fast! Basically all my usage scenario bugz squashed & that final 1% of polish...

Is there a way to regularly donate to Mint team?
Lenovo ThinkPad X250 i7 ~ Mint 20 Cinnamon
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

fleamour wrote:Used to get desktop lockup 18.0/1 but Nvidea driver with 18.2 sound as a pound! Also installed Intel microcode (never knew this was a thing), tower sleeps twice as fast! Basically all my usage scenario bugz squashed & that final 1% of polish...

Is there a way to regularly donate to Mint team?
You can here:

http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

rgand wrote:
MintBean wrote:...What a lot of us old hands recommend to do is use the update manager to perform point updates (e.g. 18.1->18.2) and do a complete reinstall to move between major versions (e.g. 18->19). Having your data (movies, music etc) on a separate partition or a separate disc saves copying it over when you reinstall.
Currently I have 18.2 on one drive with a separate partition for data and 18.1 on a separate SSD completely, using the same data partition as with the 18.2 installation. If I upgrade my SSD from 18.1 to 18.2, do I loose any configurations on that upgrade as I would if I did a fresh install?
Point updates via the update manager retain all your settings and data, even if it's in the home directory. Of course, it's a sensible precaution to backup before performing such an upgrade but the risk is minimal.
Last edited by MintBean on Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

MintBean wrote:
rgand wrote:
Point updates via the update manager retain all your settings and data, even if it's in the home directory. Of course, it's a sensible precaution to backup before performing such and upgrade but the risk is minimal.
Great. Thanks for this. I backed up everything this morning in anticipation. Your help is much appreciated.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

You're welcome. 8)
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

I updated my backup computer from 18.1 to 18.2 and it worked as you said it would. Next on to my main one. Again, thanks.
Zoosand

Post by Zoosand »

Hi All,
Installed Linux Mint 18.2 "Sonya" Cinnamon on an HP Compaq with i386 Pentium 4.
Very happy for having reclaimed another piece of hardware from the scrap heap, runs real good. :D
FrankBadger

Post by FrankBadger »

Why making do you automaticly create a guest account (and allow any one to log for any where) ? It is a serious security hole prone !!1

Return to “Releases & Announcements”