Linux Mint 18.2 “Sonya” KDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 18.2 “Sonya” KDE released!

Post by clem »

JSynard

Re: Linux Mint 18.2 “Sonya” KDE released!

Post by JSynard »

Love KDE... any update when Mint KDE will get 5.9 or 5.10? The active desktop is really a useful option.

Thanks!
o-l-d

Post by o-l-d »

When KDE confirms a LTS version of 5.9/5.10 then it should be included in Mint. I agree that some of the features are nice but Mint uses the Kubuntu backports and for Xenial 16.04 the choice has been the LTS 5.8 version. Stable and reliable are the goals of Mint devs not cutting edge.
NietGiftig

Post by NietGiftig »

o-l-d wrote:Stable and reliable are the goals of Mint devs not cutting edge.
And that's a good thing.

Small problem:
After the switch from KDE4 to KDE5, the KDE5 desktop has not reach the stability that KDE4 had, see the KDE5 bug list.
Consider the the very fast updates from KDE the last half year, then you see that even KDE v5.10 is not really "Cutting Edge" but more as fast develop to stability and for adding features that are lacking from the previous one (KDE4).
I know, QT and Plasma are also in developing stages, are constantly updated and also are counting for problems.

So if you say that KDE5.8 is stable and reliable, I very much doubt that.
Mind you, I'm not ranting.

KDE4 is IMHO an "Almost Finished" DE, but has no updates for the DE and/or apps any-more.

So we are struck between "No Updates" and "Not Mature"
Not the "fault" of the Mint devs by the way, but still it is.

I'm also still using Mint 17.3 KDE , stable for me.
My problem is, what to do when I'm replacing my PC for a new Ryzen.
o-l-d

Post by o-l-d »

NietGiftig wrote:So if you say that KDE5.8 is stable and reliable, I very much doubt that.
Mind you, I'm not ranting.

I wasn't stating my opinion concerning Plasma5 but rather was giving info as to the packages Mint devs included in the release. I have a "for testing" laptop with KDE Neon installed running Plasma 5.10.3 and my opinions would be based on the results of personal testing. Plasma 5.8 LTS is the "recommended by KDE devs for reliable use" as it contains the most bug fixes.
JSynard

Post by JSynard »

Thanks for the quick response.. Kubuntu 5.9 has the active desktop.. a great feature for a user who likes working off the desktop... running it on a second machine.. seems to be no issues so far. all good.. nice thing about so many distros.. you can always find what you want. :D
kevin3331

Post by kevin3331 »

Just updated. Painless and so easy.
Thanks All For your hard work. Love Mint KDE Will never switch.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

update went fine for me too. 18.1 to .2
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
Zoosand

Post by Zoosand »

Linux Mint 18.2 "Sonya" Cinnamon install on a desktop HP Compaq with Pentium 4 i386 went really well turning the old machine to new and good use.
:D

Return to “Releases & Announcements”