Monthly News - September 2017

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Monthly News - September 2017

Post by clem »

Timmi

Is upgrade path - or DE change - a reinstall?

Post by Timmi »

Currently, I have 18.2C installed.
I wish to try 18.2M, or better yet, 18.3M Sylvia.

You see, Sylvia was the name of the first girl I ever kissed. I was really shy at age 12, and even afraid to tell my father about her, let alone let him meet her.
Ahh nostalgic memories. If I install Mint Sylvia, my life will have come a full-circle. Wouldn't that be great?

Silly digressions aside, I am wondering if:
* would going from Cinammon to Maté require a complete reinstall (including, if it is possible to do it by not reinstalling but not recommended, unless one wants to do deep surgery on it),
* if this is possible and a recommended possibility, how is the upgrade process from 18.2 to 18.3? also a recommended reinstall? or does the package manager handle that smoothly now?
* would it be better if, and how easy or, how advisable or not, would it be to go directly from Mint 18.2C to Mint 18.3M ? (if I am able to wait that long).

thanks.

Background on my question:
I've used Mint from version 4 to versio 13.x, and always loved it and recommended it to anyone willing to listen. I recently came back to it (this happens each time I run into major problems with Win (which I need for AutoCAD and Inventor), and with 18.2C there are just many minor annoyances and flaws I am not happy with (and that others have also reported on different hardware too). I'm eager to find out if the same problems exist in the Maté version, and if they do, whether 18.3 might resolve those little issues.
They were all brought up in the forums, so no need to enumerate them again here.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”