Linux Mint 7 RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
Drake2k
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 7 RC1 released!

Post by Drake2k »

Where would we report any issues with Gloria that we've found so far? The only thing I've found so far is a simple link on the welcome to linux screen that you can choose not to show on startup. The link for the user's guide .pdf comes up as broken. All the other links work fine.

I have not had any errors with any native applications on Gloria yet so I can't really report anything there. :)

Fantastic work guys and gals.

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 »

The bug thread is here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=25408
However, the user guide hasn't been written yet, but will in time for the official release, which is why its link is there but broken.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com

trident
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trident »

This looks excellent! I have a new laptop on order for June and have decided that Gloria will get the honour of replacing the Windows I sadly had to pay for. Unfortunately, like all recent Ubuntu-based distributions (except the Mint XFCE edition which "just works"), I can't boot the Live CD, even in Compatibility Mode, despite the fact that my computer is barely a year old! It freezes just as the desktop is loading, and my Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights start flashing. I'm blaming my computer though, not Mint, so instead I fired up a VirtualBox, and after doing the annoying workaround to get it to display fullscreen, it's now working fine. I love the Featured Apps in Mint Install and how easy it is to tick a few boxes and get loads of good software all in one go (although I got carried away and ticked VirtualBox... it seems that installing VirtualBox within VirtualBox breaks the space-time continuum).

Mixed feelings on the new theme though. I disliked it at first and switched back to the old one, then gave it another go and it grew on me slightly. I think I still prefer the old theme though. The additions of silver and blue make it seem very swish, modern, and, well, elegant, whereas the new version was really just black and green which seemed a bit plain in comparison. The jury's still out though.

Well done and many thanks to the Mint team for a great RC, your distribution has won over this Linux n00b :D

NickL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NickL »

Thanks Clem and team, I think I've finally found a distro good enough to replace Daryna on my main PCs. Very, very nice. I've tried Jaunty recently, but Gloria is just so much more polished and usable. I've found no bugs yet, so hoping that I won't need to re-install when you release the final version.

All the best.
Nick

marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

trident wrote:This looks excellent! I have a new laptop on order for June and have decided that Gloria will get the honour of replacing the Windows I sadly had to pay for. Unfortunately, like all recent Ubuntu-based distributions (except the Mint XFCE edition which "just works"), I can't boot the Live CD, even in Compatibility Mode, despite the fact that my computer is barely a year old! It freezes just as the desktop is loading, and my Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights start flashing. I'm blaming my computer though, not Mint, so instead I fired up a VirtualBox, and after doing the annoying workaround to get it to display fullscreen, it's now working fine. I love the Featured Apps in Mint Install and how easy it is to tick a few boxes and get loads of good software all in one go (although I got carried away and ticked VirtualBox... it seems that installing VirtualBox within VirtualBox breaks the space-time continuum).

Mixed feelings on the new theme though. I disliked it at first and switched back to the old one, then gave it another go and it grew on me slightly. I think I still prefer the old theme though. The additions of silver and blue make it seem very swish, modern, and, well, elegant, whereas the new version was really just black and green which seemed a bit plain in comparison. The jury's still out though.

Well done and many thanks to the Mint team for a great RC, your distribution has won over this Linux n00b :D
I actually like the new theme, love it really. I just changed the background image and I'm happy as a clam ya know.

Anyway in regards to paying the Windows Tax, I don't support vendors who charge that. My recent Laptop I got a DIY laptop from OCZ with a Nvidia 8600 GT, then bought the CPU, RAM and drive. Works great with Mint and I didn't have to pay the tax. Also there's M-Tech Laptops, you select the model, components and they'll ship it to you without an OS. I got my girlfriend one a couple of years ago and she's been very pleased with it.

Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd

Drake2k
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drake2k »

Ah, gothcya.
emorrp1 wrote:The bug thread is here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=25408
However, the user guide hasn't been written yet, but will in time for the official release, which is why its link is there but broken.

WoodCAT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WoodCAT »

Running from usb stick, seems working fine.
Except list of applications keeps disappearing from menu, it comes back after 'reload plugins' is done.
Mint freezes solid when Lattice screensaver is chosen. Probably graphic driver for ATI R580 related.
Crtl+Alt+Backspace no longer works. Thanks kansasnoob for the fix.

Love the dark theme! But little too much green for my taste :D

Good work everyone!

dominic1536
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dominic1536 »

hi my name is dom and i started using mint 7 it is a great OS i only have 1 problem with it some parts of face book do not work correctly when i install the nvidia drivers as recommended by linux but with out the drivers my graphics card which is an nvidia supported Geforce 8500 gt with 1gig of ram on board will not function correctly the strange thing is the problem is only with a face book application called farm town it a game but it helps me wind down at the end of the day. please help if you can or direct me to some one who can help thanks

trident
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trident »

marcus0263 wrote:
trident wrote:This looks excellent! I have a new laptop on order for June and have decided that Gloria will get the honour of replacing the Windows I sadly had to pay for. Unfortunately, like all recent Ubuntu-based distributions (except the Mint XFCE edition which "just works"), I can't boot the Live CD, even in Compatibility Mode, despite the fact that my computer is barely a year old! It freezes just as the desktop is loading, and my Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights start flashing. I'm blaming my computer though, not Mint, so instead I fired up a VirtualBox, and after doing the annoying workaround to get it to display fullscreen, it's now working fine. I love the Featured Apps in Mint Install and how easy it is to tick a few boxes and get loads of good software all in one go (although I got carried away and ticked VirtualBox... it seems that installing VirtualBox within VirtualBox breaks the space-time continuum).

I actually like the new theme, love it really. I just changed the background image and I'm happy as a clam ya know.

Anyway in regards to paying the Windows Tax, I don't support vendors who charge that. My recent Laptop I got a DIY laptop from OCZ with a Nvidia 8600 GT, then bought the CPU, RAM and drive. Works great with Mint and I didn't have to pay the tax. Also there's M-Tech Laptops, you select the model, components and they'll ship it to you without an OS. I got my girlfriend one a couple of years ago and she's been very pleased with it.

I'm in the UK which kind of limits my choice of OS-free laptops - in the end I found one that was cheaper and higher-spec, and at least only had Vista Basic so I wouldn't be paying for Premium!

I've given the new theme another go and it's definitely growing on me now - the old theme, while very nice and modern in my opinion, does still look noticeably "old" compared to the new one. I'm starting to think now that it may be better to set the new theme as default, for the "wow" factor, and it's certainly easy enough to switch back to the old theme.

MintMenu looks absolutely great too, I've seen it compared to the Vista menu but I'd say it's better! I've not managed to find any bugs yet (apart from a couple of random VirtualBox crashes, which are probably my lack of RAM) but I'll keep playing with it!

marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Well I just installed on my Corporate Workstation, standard Del GSX box. Yeah I'm lucky, I can get away with shrinking Winblows down to an insignificant slot and never have to look at it 8)

Anyway everything works great except for sound, modules load, no errors seen but there just isn't any sound what so ever.

Here's the details -

Code: Select all

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

Code: Select all

snd_hda_intel         425396  3 
snd_pcm_oss            38144  0 
snd_mixer_oss          14976  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                74372  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy           3076  0 
snd_seq_oss            30336  0 
snd_seq_midi            6528  0 
snd_rawmidi            21632  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event      7424  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                49328  6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer              21128  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device          7308  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd                    54820  15 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore               7776  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          9224  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
Everything is in order on the hardware side so I'm thinking it's a software issue, no problems with Felicia, since loading Gloria no sound.

Cheers
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

@ marcus0263
That can be the infamous HDA problem - possible solution here
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... sa#p107982
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Husse wrote:@ marcus0263
That can be the infamous HDA problem - possible solution here
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... sa#p107982
Yeah, sniffing around there does seem to be an issue, bummer it worked with felicia no problems. Anyway I'm building ALSA from source, let's see if this does anything ...
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd

k_2150
Level 1
Level 1

Post by k_2150 »

OMIGOSH this is so nice, I have a new love & her name is "Gloria". Very nice release candidate, looks great, will appeal to linux virgins like me because it's so easy to use, did I mention it's pretty too!

anthrax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by anthrax »

There is a bug in Human-blue icon set. New folder icon under right click menu on desktop is much bigger then other icons. Bug was also present on previous releases (for ex. Linux Mint 6 Felicia).

holyguyver
Level 1
Level 1

Post by holyguyver »

My mother Gloria is so excited about this release, I found a review of LinuxMint Gloria RC1 with videos so I e-mailed my mother a link to the article, she is very happy with how her namesake looks & the new features, she has been using Mint since Daryna, same as I, & she is so happy that she will be able to have an Operating system with the same name as her.

I love the old theme to death, but I honestly have to say the RC theme seems really good so if it is decided to have the RC theme be the alt theme instead of the default I might have to switch to it anyway, it is very beautiful, & I am pretty sure that my mother will switch to it because she really likes the RC theme :) .

So according to Gloria "Gloria is going to be the best Linux Mint release yet, & the best Linux distro out there." There you go Gloria on Gloria :p

chenis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chenis »

Hi - I have an ATI Mobility Radeon HP 3650 (Lenovo T500) - worked perfectly in Mint 6. Over the weekend I installed Mint 7 RC1, and then the proprietary drivers - can't get dual-monitors to work for the life of me. The Catalyst Control Center has dual-monitor settings disabled, and I've tried the aticonfig command with limited success - I can get it to have the 2nd monitor enabled, but then the first one (notebook display) is all corrupted, and then when the mouse goes to the 2nd screen, it can't get back, and I have to log out/in to reset it. Any thoughts on how to get around this. Was all working wonderful in Mint6 - out of the box I might add - all I did was install Mint 6, enable the proprietary driver, and everything worked like a champ...

wobf58
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wobf58 »

Great job with Gloria. I just got a new laptop, DELL E6500 and everything is working just fine. Well, pretty much everything. Dont get the fingerprint reader to work. And I cant get the speakers as loud as with Windows. But with the speakers that is the same with every other distribution. Cant wait for the first KDE RC. Again, great job.
Laptop: DELL E6500 with LED backlight
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8700
RAM: 4096MB (2048x2) DDR2 800
NVIDIA Quatro NVS160M 256 MB / 320 GB HDD/

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 »

wobf58: You can force the volume past 100% using "pulseaudio device chooser" --> manager --> sinks --> properties (or similar)

chenis: Before you enable proprietary drivers, try the System --> Preferences --> Display dialog, which I discovered the other day.

Everyone: Clem has announced the intention to re-enable the ctrl-alt-backspace shortcut in the final release several times.
EDIT: in fact, this has been implemented in the latest mintSystem
Last edited by emorrp1 on Tue May 12, 2009 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com

Ellipsis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ellipsis »

I love Gloria thus far. The new theme is awesome and hope that it is the default "sooner rather than later." The change from Xchat Gnome to Xchat is very awesome as well.
You Shouldn't Use PDFs For Web Content!:
http://sweb2.dmit.nait.ca/gcrnkovic1/pdfs-suck/

marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Well I've tried a number of things posted on the net, none of them work for the Intel sound issue. Well reverting back to Felicia, bummer I really like Gloria :(

I'll give it some time to burn in and upstream to resolve the bug ....

I'm kind of shocked, Intel usually has simply outstanding Linux support :o
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd

Return to “Releases & Announcements”