Linux Mint 7 RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 7 RC1 released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 7 Gloria RC1. Introduction to Linux Mint 7: The 7th release of Linux Mint comes with numerous bug fixes and a lot of improvements. In particular the menu system, the application manager and the upload manager now provide new features such as “Suggestions”, “Featured applications”, “SCP [...]

Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=796
Bug thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=25408

Clem
sarahmarienc

Re: Linux Mint 7 RC1 released!

Post by sarahmarienc »

Nice.

I would like to help test this. What is needed to do so? Thank you so much for all your hard work. I just finished reading the release notes for Mint7 and Jaunty (Man they have a laundry-list, don't they? Are they typically this long?)

Can't wait until the Final Release is out. But happy to help test out the RC1 and subsequents.

-Sarah
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

clem wrote:The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 7 Gloria RC1. Introduction to Linux Mint 7: The 7th release of Linux Mint comes with numerous bug fixes and a lot of improvements. In particular the menu system, the application manager and the upload manager now provide new features such as “Suggestions”, “Featured applications”, “SCP [...]

Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=796
Bug thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=25408

Clem
If you wanted to add a little humor in light of recent days discussions/distractions, the announcement could be edited to read as follows: "Direct from the promised land, Linux Mint 7 Gloria RC1"!! :D

Any predictions as to the lag time for the release of the 64 bit edition?
PurplePants
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PurplePants »

Thanks Clem, downloading it now :D
Linux Mint 7 RC1 suggestions

Post by joined »

I wont to take the following suggestions:

1)...Automatically ask if download and install the current language "Language Pack" (if choosed language is not English);
2)...automatically install 7zip support;
Husse

Post by Husse »

The 64 bit is generally ready soon after main has been released as stable
ksousa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ksousa »

Iḿ a Mint addict since Daryna but like many others i trie ubuntu distros while waiting for the release of a new mint edition.
But now i'm concerned with my ATI Radeon X1200 that don't work in jaunty (fglrx not compatible and propietary drives discontinued by AMD) so i'm using Mint KDE CE (what magnific job they made).
My question is in MInt Gloria works???
I hope so but i'm not sure of that.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

ksousa, I've found that the open-source ATI drivers for our graphics card series (mine is X1600) are very good, just work and make external monitors trivial to use. To answer your question directly, no Mint won't include something magical to make it work if it doesn't work in jaunty, but I've not had any problems so far, and I've been using it since jaunty was released.
tawan

Post by tawan »

Love it.

I know things such as boot time are inherited but it's very nice to boot so quick.

It looks great. The mix of dark yet light and useful with zwopers wet glass gives a very fresh clean welcome. Even if the main release does not have this as default I will still choose this look.
icefire

Post by icefire »

Thanks to Clem and the gang for the quick turn around time since the release of 9.04.

Downloaded Mint 7 last night. Love the new look and features. You have an excellent operating system. I have tried numerous other distros and have always come back to Mint. Please care for it. It is now time for me to give back. Hope others do as well. Will sent a small donation shortly. Thanks again for a wonderful distro.
floweringmind
Level 2
Level 2

Big Bugs

Post by floweringmind »

This release is a show stopper for me.

BUGS
1. Partition manager won't come up, it just grinds and grinds. I got around this by mounting my NTFS drives and preventing them from being unmounted.

2. The system will randomly lock up forcing me to reboot. This is after all updates.
stasike

Post by stasike »

I have installed the Gloria RC1.
It works gloriously.

Thank you Clem.

The only cosmetic flaw I have found during the installation is that when I booted the live cd and went to the menu, the "applications" main menu was empty.
I have played around a little bit, then I restarted the computer to boot into my 'old' system (Felicia) to have a look at my partitions, so I do not owerwrite my working installation. After I booted the live CD again the menu was working as expected. I do not know what causet the first hiccup.

I have had problem with automatic network setup in previous versions (all Ubuntu based distros). In Gloria everything works for me out of box.
In Felicia I have had problem with Krusader and most recently Firefox losing its windows decorations when I have Compiz enabled. There is problem with Gloria.

Thank you Clem, thank you entire Mint crew, thank you all for a fantastic piece of work.
capricornus
Level 2
Level 2

In Gloria sum

Post by capricornus »

I both installed Ubuntu 9.04 and Mint 7 rc1 today. Both work swift. Both install CrossOver and OfficeXP fluently. Both seem to hesitate on the internet, due to an IPV6-setting? Both install VLC well and make it play without problems.

There is one little BUT! (but not a BUG) and warning for the fans of Streamtuner+Shoutcast+Streamripper: after a few hours and so, I found out that there are differences in versions. Go to http://mirror.ovh.net/ubuntu and choose version 0.99.99-15ubuntu1. Then you will get the full listing of Shoutcast without crashing.

Oh, Clem, I read the first review/blog, about too much green. Perhaps you remember earlier comments on my side about colors: NOW I think you have the right mix, NOW it IS Mint, you and I can almost smell it ;-): perfect!
sarahmarienc

Post by sarahmarienc »

Running from Live CD. It seems to be working well for me. No hardware setup or conflicts so far. YAY!

I love the default wallpaper and the desktop icons that go with it (theme) It really looks nice and clean. The new Menu is wonderful for visually challenged people like myself. I like that you can switch between the "all applications" and "favourites."

Will be curious to see what issues crop up. Other people mentioned the top right notifications- I actually like them. For someone like me, they are easier seen than the ones that were on the task bar.

Thanks for a great RC1, looking forward to Mint 7 official release.

I'm running an HP Media Center PC M8100N (NO WINDOWS- Linux Only)

Processor- AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 5600+ for TRUE multi-tasking
2.8GHz, 1MB + 1MB L2 Cache, 2000Hz System Bus
Chipset
NVIDIA nForce 430
Standard memory
3072GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM memory (2x1024MB & 2x512MB for ultimate performance) (expandable to 8GB)

Memory slots
4 DIMM (240-pin, DDR2) (occupied)
Video adapter
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with TurboCache with 128MB dedicated graphics memory.
Video RAM
128MB
Internal hard disk drive
500GB SATA HD 7200 rpm
PcPixel

Post by PcPixel »

So far, I absolutely LOVE the new release. I like the little changes and the performance (even in a virtual machine) is astounding. I have one question: Where did the advanced Compiz settings manager go to? It could be me, since I'm in a VM & the video can't do it but I see only the simple settings manager. Outside of that, I can't wait for the final release. Quality OS all the way man!!! =)
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

CompizConfig Settings Manager is in Gloria, I even found it by typing compiz into mintMenu
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

Husse wrote:The 64 bit is generally ready soon after main has been released as stable

Brilliant =]
hhoyt

Post by hhoyt »

Cool ! :P :D
I have tried a few distros and found Ubuntu to be the most inclusive (esp wireless) so LM7 was a natural.
The look is beautiful !!!

I am fairly new to Linux from windows and have a request for enhancement/ inclusion:

EVERY distrxo I have tried has a 'bug' in network file browser in that it does not display all the windows boxes on
the network .
This is easily enuff fixed by adding WINBIND package and editing /etc/nsswitch.conf to add WINS so line:

hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
becomes
hosts: files wins mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

Would there be a problem getting this integrated into the LM7 package ???

Thinking that folks new to linux with windows boxes on the network would REALLY like that ?

TIA,

Howard
PcPixel

Post by PcPixel »

emorrp1 wrote:CompizConfig Settings Manager is in Gloria, I even found it by typing compiz into mintMenu
Now I am embarassed. :lol: I can't believe I glossed over that! My bad. Can't wait for the final!!!!!
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

When installing, there is an option to make the root partition EXT4. I am not sure if this is new or if I just never noticed, but I have been reading up a bit on this and it seems to have some advantages over EXT3, like for one a defragmenting utility. Are there other performance advantages or disadvantages? Is it faster, or slower? Is it more or less secure?

I installed the RC on a testing partition using EXT4. The system seems a bit sluggish at times, I've mostly used Firefox though so I have to try it on other apps. Not sure if that has anything to do with the file system. I have been running Mint 64, so maybe I should wait for it to come out to compare apples to apples. Is there an easy to use (very easy) testing program to see what kind of disk performance I am getting for Linux?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”