Linux Mint 7 RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
k_2150

Re: Linux Mint 7 RC1 released!

Post by k_2150 »

OMIGOSH this is so nice, I have a new love & her name is "Gloria". Very nice release candidate, looks great, will appeal to linux virgins like me because it's so easy to use, did I mention it's pretty too!
anthrax

Post by anthrax »

There is a bug in Human-blue icon set. New folder icon under right click menu on desktop is much bigger then other icons. Bug was also present on previous releases (for ex. Linux Mint 6 Felicia).
holyguyver

Post by holyguyver »

My mother Gloria is so excited about this release, I found a review of LinuxMint Gloria RC1 with videos so I e-mailed my mother a link to the article, she is very happy with how her namesake looks & the new features, she has been using Mint since Daryna, same as I, & she is so happy that she will be able to have an Operating system with the same name as her.

I love the old theme to death, but I honestly have to say the RC theme seems really good so if it is decided to have the RC theme be the alt theme instead of the default I might have to switch to it anyway, it is very beautiful, & I am pretty sure that my mother will switch to it because she really likes the RC theme :) .

So according to Gloria "Gloria is going to be the best Linux Mint release yet, & the best Linux distro out there." There you go Gloria on Gloria :p
wobf58
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wobf58 »

Great job with Gloria. I just got a new laptop, DELL E6500 and everything is working just fine. Well, pretty much everything. Dont get the fingerprint reader to work. And I cant get the speakers as loud as with Windows. But with the speakers that is the same with every other distribution. Cant wait for the first KDE RC. Again, great job.
Laptop: DELL E6500 with LED backlight
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8700
RAM: 4096MB (2048x2) DDR2 800
NVIDIA Quatro NVS160M 256 MB / 320 GB HDD/
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

wobf58: You can force the volume past 100% using "pulseaudio device chooser" --> manager --> sinks --> properties (or similar)

chenis: Before you enable proprietary drivers, try the System --> Preferences --> Display dialog, which I discovered the other day.

Everyone: Clem has announced the intention to re-enable the ctrl-alt-backspace shortcut in the final release several times.
EDIT: in fact, this has been implemented in the latest mintSystem
Last edited by emorrp1 on Tue May 12, 2009 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ellipsis

Post by Ellipsis »

I love Gloria thus far. The new theme is awesome and hope that it is the default "sooner rather than later." The change from Xchat Gnome to Xchat is very awesome as well.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Well I've tried a number of things posted on the net, none of them work for the Intel sound issue. Well reverting back to Felicia, bummer I really like Gloria :(

I'll give it some time to burn in and upstream to resolve the bug ....

I'm kind of shocked, Intel usually has simply outstanding Linux support :o
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
xxploit

Post by xxploit »

No clue if its been mentioned since I havent read all these replys but:

Open Office 3 is installed, but the 2.4 artworks shows on splash/help

Other thoughts:

Change the grub-artwork background to something more in-line with the new artwork. The new artwork is so great looking it makes the grub-background look dated.

Other than that great job. It's been a while since i used mint but I'm def. onboard with 7 when it releases with the x64 edition. You guys have done an exceptional job!
mortadelo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mortadelo »

A little esthetic matter with Mintmmenu

If I Increase the toolbar size, the icon of MintMenu doesn't change, so doesn't harmonize with the bar size.. but Gnome Menu does.. Is possible to translate this caracteristic so MintMenu icon will fit perfectly with any size of toolbar?

Thanks in advance
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Hi jfreak, I might be wrong but I believe the giver app uses samba, and I think it's all part of "Linux Mint works out of the box" with works including interacting with other windows computers.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

As always with development releases, you'll never get a 100% guarantee, but basically yes, a fully up-to-date RC install will likely differ only very insignificantly from the final release, but if you can wait, why not wait?
Jojje

Post by Jojje »

xxploit wrote:No clue if its been mentioned since I havent read all these replys but:

Open Office 3 is installed, but the 2.4 artworks shows on splash/help
Hey xxploit!

The OpenOffice.org 3.1 issue is a little starange. I am a newbie so I don't understand why but I have discovered that if you install Open Office as described on their forum HERE http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... ?f=74&t=68 you will actually get a much nicer look.
So go to "Get more platforms and languages" and download the openoffice 3.1 Linux DEB and then follow the instructions in the tutorial above.

/Jojje
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

emorrp1 wrote:As always with development releases, you'll never get a 100% guarantee, but basically yes, a fully up-to-date RC install will likely differ only very insignificantly from the final release, but if you can wait, why not wait?
I assume this is the same for going from Mint 6 to Mint 7 without re-installing?
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
HeLikesMint

Post by HeLikesMint »

great work guys! linux mint is my favorite linux distro for some time now, the only thing, that i still needed 'win xp' for was skype, cause i could not get it working in mint. well, that's a thing of the past now... everything is working great, looks slick and i'm running around with a constant smile ;).

keep up the good work!
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Another bonehead move by upstream Ubuntu, no network tools. :?

Anyway to install is easy enough, but another idiotic decision made by Ubuntu. :roll:
To install

Code: Select all

aptitude install gnome-network-admin
I know it's getting late in the game, but is it to late to include this in the release Clem?

Thanx
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
ilanesh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ilanesh »

I love it, it runs wonderful from live usb, but after installing it to my external usb HDD it is not booting, I reinstalled it a few times, but on my two machines it is just not booting from the external, with ubuntu jaunty no problem with booting. I can boot ubuntu jaunty on my asus eee and on my acer aspire 5610.
Seems to be a bug. Hope it will be fixed till the stabel version comes out, cause I am looking forward to use it.
SaphirePhoenix

Post by SaphirePhoenix »

Works wonderful on my Acer Aspire One. Finally the wifi works. The only issues I seem to be having is that the media card slots are not recognized even when I reboot with a card in the slots.

Also, Inkscape is acting strange and I cannot work with it at all. The window jumps page up or down when I try to click on anything. When I try to run it in full screen it flickers constantly when I click on the canvas. I've been unsuccessful at trying to install Inkscape 4.7 dev (I know the stable release is coming soon but I need it)

The wifi/ethernet connection light on the front doesn't work either.

I really like the top right notifications (wifi notifications etc). I liked it when mint install retrieved all the images at once instead of individually it somehow seems slow to me this way. The shut down menu icons are great.

Thanks Linux Mint Team for all the great work you guys do.
xxploit

Post by xxploit »

Recommendation:

Include the package mozplugger. So that pdf's will open within firefox using evince etc. This package description is as follows:

mozplugger allows you to seamlessly integrate external applications
to view files downloaded from the web that Mozilla can not normally
handle. The application is embedded within a Mozilla window as to act
like and feel like a true plugin.

This allows you to view PDFs, Postscript files, animations and
movies, amongst other file types all from within Mozilla (with
supporting applications).
monux

Post by monux »

- First, thank you for the other developers of this operating system, which opened for me the wonderful world linux.
- I wonder how do I update the system installed Felicia6 to Gloria7.
- Thanks to all
- Long-Life for LINUXMINT
Husse

Post by Husse »

Soon after the release of the stable Gloria we will release an upgrade tool

Return to “Releases & Announcements”