Linux Mint Installation Guide

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint Installation Guide

Post by clem »

Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Linux Mint Installation Guide

Post by Moem »

Oh wow, it looks great. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

yep - - that does look much better, and I've come across that web site, a few times now,
& so it seems to be getting the promotion as well.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Fantastic!
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Super cool !
The new guide looks sleek and I'm sure it's going to attract more users by giving more confidence.

Some comments though on the "EFI troubleshooting" section
- "For technical reasons Linux Mint uses ubuntu as its EFI boot name." but in the screenshots and the explanations, there is a boot entry called "linuxmint". This is a bit confusing.
Also most users who have troubles dual-booting (at least for those reporting on the forum) are dual-booting with windows. What about remaking the screenshots in a windows/linux case ? where the entries are just 'Windows boot manager' and 'ubuntu'
(I would do these screenshots but (un)fortunately I dont have windows on any of my machines)
- it could be good to add some further pointers for some machines where fixing the boot order from live USB is not sufficient:
* on most machines, go into windows, open an administrative command prompt and bcdedit /set "{bootmgr}" path \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi
* on acer laptops, go into BIOS and select shimx64.efi as trusted for executing https://itsfoss.com/no-bootable-device-found-ubuntu/
* on HP laptops, make fake windows boot files as in this post by administrollaattori viewtopic.php?f=42&t=243338&p=1300722
Many of the problems reported to the "Installation & Boot" subforum can be solved by one of these three techniques

Edit: I made a fork on github, added the changes mentioned in the second bullet above, plus added a link on how to disable secure boot, and created a pull request. Feel free to rewrite it if necessary.
Last edited by fabien85 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Thanks, Clem. Nicely done!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Gruppo Sportivo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gruppo Sportivo »

Read the Docs:
Nice piece of work everything under hand reach.
One thing I miss is the reference to the local forums ?

Forked version linuxmint/doc-installation-guide and created an pull request
Last edited by Gruppo Sportivo on Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Looks great Thank YOU!
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Thank you Clem
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Releases & Announcements”