Linux Mint 18.3 “Sylvia” Xfce released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 18.3 “Sylvia” Xfce released!

Post by clem »

Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux Mint 18.3 “Sylvia” Xfce released!

Post by Flemur »

Beta version worked perfectly as does upgrade to official version ! Thanks!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
AJ1000

Post by AJ1000 »

Worked perfectly for me from 18.2. Thanks.
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

Have room on one of my HDD for a fresh install, play time. :D

Edit: Been using it hard for hours now with no issues.
Last edited by sammiev on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
sarge816
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sarge816 »

Perfectly fast and smooth upgrade from 18.2 Xfce, thanks for all the hard work.
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

Great stuff - I only wish this was released at the same time at the other two versions - it's far better!

Mike.
ToutAlu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ToutAlu »

Bravo !
Je remarque que l'on vient de franchir un grand pas.
C'est la première fois que je vois ça : par une simple mise à jour classique, je suis passé à Linux Mint 18.3 Xfce et ce, sans même avoir besoin de redémarrer ! :wink:
Tout devient encore plus facile dans l'utilisation de notre distribution.
Admirable :!:
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

Is it necessary to install the new kernel and this replaces the old one?? I have an upgrade level for the average user and a blue color indicates updates in bottom right corner, but inside the update manager nothing is selected for install.
H.Remedy

Post by H.Remedy »

zoli62 wrote:Is it necessary to install the new kernel and this replaces the old one?? I have an upgrade level for the average user and a blue color indicates updates in bottom right corner, but inside the update manager nothing is selected for install.
I'm not sure if you are asking how to update the kernel or how to upgrade Linux Mint. So here are answers for both:

To upgrade to Linux Mint 18.3, follow the instructions here https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3462 . Since you say there are no package updates listed, you just have to click on Edit > Upgrade to Linux Mint 18.3.

The upgrade process will not change your kernel version. If you want to do that, go to View > Linux Kernels and install a new one there. But be careful. If you've never updated the kernel before, you should do some research first.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

mingle wrote:I only wish this was released at the same time at the other two versions
So you want the team to hold Cinnamon back until XFCE is finished? How does that help anyone?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

No, it was 'tongue-in-cheek' - wishing that xfce was released SOONER :-)
Moem wrote:
mingle wrote:I only wish this was released at the same time at the other two versions
So you want the team to hold Cinnamon back until XFCE is finished? How does that help anyone?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

mingle wrote:No, it was 'tongue-in-cheek' - wishing that xfce was released SOONER :-)
Ah, you want Clem to grow some extra hands... understood. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
silfox2000
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silfox2000 »

Here in Bulgaria we say: Fast work - shame for the master.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Moem wrote:
mingle wrote:No, it was 'tongue-in-cheek' - wishing that xfce was released SOONER :-)
Ah, you want Clem to grow some extra hands... understood. :wink:
Or work 23 hrs a day :roll: :roll:
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

H.Remedy wrote:
zoli62 wrote:Is it necessary to install the new kernel and this replaces the old one?? I have an upgrade level for the average user and a blue color indicates updates in bottom right corner, but inside the update manager nothing is selected for install.
I'm not sure if you are asking how to update the kernel or how to upgrade Linux Mint. So here are answers for both:

To upgrade to Linux Mint 18.3, follow the instructions here https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3462 . Since you say there are no package updates listed, you just have to click on Edit > Upgrade to Linux Mint 18.3.

The upgrade process will not change your kernel version. If you want to do that, go to View > Linux Kernels and install a new one there. But be careful. If you've never updated the kernel before, you should do some research first.
Clarify, I've upgraded to Linux Mint 18.3. At the update level for average users in the update manager the recommended level 4 kernel updates did not appear, so far.
H.Remedy

Post by H.Remedy »

zoli62 wrote:At the update level for average users in the update manager the recommended level 4 kernel updates did not appear, so far.
Click on Edit > Preferences > Levels. Ensure that the level 4 updates are "visible". If they are visible and nothing is appearing in the update window, that means you already have the latest version for the kernel series you are using. For example, if you are on 4.4.x series, then you already have the last "x" available.

On the other hand, if you want to upgrade from 4.4.x to 4.8.x or 4.10.x etc., then those versions will never appear in the update window. Instead, you have to click on View > Linux Kernels. A new window will open, allowing you to download new kernels and select the one you want to use.

To summarize: the update list will only show you the minor updates for your kernel. If you want the major updates, you must use the menu.
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

H.Remedy wrote:
zoli62 wrote:At the update level for average users in the update manager the recommended level 4 kernel updates did not appear, so far.
Click on Edit > Preferences > Levels. Ensure that the level 4 updates are "visible". If they are visible and nothing is appearing in the update window, that means you already have the latest version for the kernel series you are using. For example, if you are on 4.4.x series, then you already have the last "x" available.

On the other hand, if you want to upgrade from 4.4.x to 4.8.x or 4.10.x etc., then those versions will never appear in the update window. Instead, you have to click on View > Linux Kernels. A new window will open, allowing you to download new kernels and select the one you want to use.

To summarize: the update list will only show you the minor updates for your kernel. If you want the major updates, you must use the menu.
My problem is that after a system point upgrade the notification (average user level) for the minor kernel update did not appear, so far. Neither as notification on the bottom right corner , nor in menu of the update manager.
H.Remedy

Post by H.Remedy »

Maybe it will help if we use actual numbers. Which kernel version do you have and which one do you want? I'm assuming you are looking for something in the 4.10 series, since that is the version that comes with a fresh install of Mint 18.3. In my list of kernels I have 4.10.0-42 active, and this appears as the newest available kernel in the 4.10 series. Which version are you seeing on your list?
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

Now I'm not in front of the Linux machine. I think the 4.10.0-38 kernel is active. I do not want minor kernel update. My problem is still why does the update manager report a minor kernel update? Also, if this is the case, why is it not selected for installation?
H.Remedy

Post by H.Remedy »

When you get the chance, find out which major revisions your system is showing. I'm seeing 4.11 and 4.13 on my system, with multiple minor updates for each. Are you not seeing 4.13 at all?
zoli62 wrote:My problem is still why does the update manager report a minor kernel update?
The system will keep showing minor updates for the older kernels (4.4, 4.8, 4.10) as long as we're in Linux Mint 18.x, since some people are using them. Presumably most of these will disappear once we get Linux Mint 19.x.
Also, if this is the case, why is it not selected for installation?
You have to do it manually. Just select one from the list and click "install".

Return to “Releases & Announcements”