Linux Mint 19 codenamed “Tara”

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Royi
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 19 codenamed “Tara”

Post by Royi »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:24 pm
Royi wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:19 pm I really wish the Linux Mint 19.x will keep the use of system resources to a minimum.

Make sure the least memory is used, the less background processes the better and everything is lean and fast.
This minimalism approach is the best thing to do.
Each to his own taste. It seems that the lightweight Xfce edition is the right one for you. :mrgreen:
I meant more as a philosophy.
Now I use Cinnamon Mint and I find it great and minimal.
What I'm afraid of is that moving to be based on Ubuntu 18.04 will add significant overhead.

I like the minimalistic approach better.
Kilz

Post by Kilz »

Royi wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:57 am
Pjotr wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:24 pm
Royi wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:19 pm I really wish the Linux Mint 19.x will keep the use of system resources to a minimum.

Make sure the least memory is used, the less background processes the better and everything is lean and fast.
This minimalism approach is the best thing to do.
Each to his own taste. It seems that the lightweight Xfce edition is the right one for you. :mrgreen:
I meant more as a philosophy.
Now I use Cinnamon Mint and I find it great and minimal.
What I'm afraid of is that moving to be based on Ubuntu 18.04 will add significant overhead.

I like the minimalistic approach better.
Mint has been based on Ubuntu since the beginning except the LMDE editions. I have been using Bionic Mate 64 for the last month because I wanted a change. Its very nice and the Ubuntu 18.04 base should be nice for Mint. I also installed the Cinnamon daily builds ppa on a Bionic server base, Cinnamon 3.7 looks good, and my install isnt quite as polished as a real Mint release.
Royi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Royi »

Could we expect the resources needed to run Linux Mint 19.x are comparable or less than Linux Mint 18.x (I'm talking about Cinnamon)?

I really want my system to stay lean.
That's the main reason I moved to Linux Mint.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Royi wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:17 am Could we expect the resources needed to run Linux Mint 19.x are comparable or less than Linux Mint 18.x (I'm talking about Cinnamon)?

Roughly identical, I suspect. Note that any "system load increase" has usually more to do with applications becoming heavier, and that's something that Mint has no say in. If Firefox gets heavier, that's entirely up to Mozilla, not to Mint....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Bara-Bus

Post by Bara-Bus »

Please no more 32bit!
Start 128bit!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Late try for an April joke? A 32 bit version will come.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Bara-Bus wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:28 am Please no more 32bit!
No! :wink: I'm trying to sell an old Dell desktop that's got a 32-bit Pentium in it!
Royi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Royi »

Pjotr wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:54 am
Royi wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:17 am Could we expect the resources needed to run Linux Mint 19.x are comparable or less than Linux Mint 18.x (I'm talking about Cinnamon)?

Roughly identical, I suspect. Note that any "system load increase" has usually more to do with applications becoming heavier, and that's something that Mint has no say in. If Firefox gets heavier, that's entirely up to Mozilla, not to Mint....
I'm talking on system processes (Of a clean install).
Not about applications.

Is there a chance to get it even lower than 18.3?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Read this.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Cosmo. wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:50 pm Read this.
The developers do a spectacular job and this is one example of that. I absolutely love Cinnamon and to know it's getting even better really gives me something to look forward to in Mint 19. Many, many thanks!
Smile, it makes people wonder what you've been up to.
bustere
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bustere »

Always pleased with Mint upgrades, but besides having it on a hard drive, I also use it in VMWare with Win 10 as host. It's absolutely perfect, and I can move files from one to the other with drag and drop, and the speed is pretty good too.

However, I tested Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu Mate 18.04, and Linux Lite 18.04 Beta in virtual. Lite was fine, but the other two were dodgy with their unfriendliness towards Win 10, which surprised me. I worry a bit that my perfect Mint, that I use a lot because it's portable on a Win 10 laptop, might lose some of its lustre with the move up.

But I can test the new one I guess before I upgrade 18.3. Just an observation on what I found.
areflinuxmint

Post by areflinuxmint »

i realy like to see linuxmint tara in 32 bit i hpoe linuxmint maker donot forget that why linuxmint on top and it is the best linux disto out there manjaro donot support 32 bit machines
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

Just to put an end to the endless rumors, speculation, and hand wringing, 32 bit versions of LM19 Tara will be released: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3555
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh
lordamit

Post by lordamit »

I hope it won't be buggy like the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS for Primus Laptops.
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... ibutions-/

I can confirm personally that Linux Mint 18.3 works perfectly for my primus laptop, btw.
Pesebrero
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pesebrero »

lordamit wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 12:24 pm I can confirm personally that Linux Mint 18.3 works perfectly for my primus laptop, btw.
Have you fixed the tearing issue? How?

I was expecting Mint 19 to see if it was fixed, it's a shame it will not even be working!
lordamit

Post by lordamit »

Pesebrero wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 12:53 am Have you fixed the tearing issue? How?
What tearing issue? o.O
I didn't have any problem from the start when I installed Linux Mint 18.3. I just had to install the necessary drivers from driver manager. Or maybe I didn't use the Nvidia graphics card enabled login enough, maybe. I use intel mode most of the time.
Compared to what I faced using my previous laptop (HP Pavilion DV5, another primus laptop) and Ubuntu - this is a bliss.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

No danger with the T's - Tara no problem, then Tereza...?
maybe Tusnelda...???
I'm really scared about the U's! Just the names: Ulla! Umma! pretty sure Ursula...
These are the real concerns of a heroic 32-bitter!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

absque fenestris wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:11 am I'm really scared about the U's! Just the names: Ulla! Umma! pretty sure Ursula...
My aunt was called Ulla.... :lol:
She's from the German side of my family; I think it's a normal abbreviation for "Ursula" in Germany.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Pjotr wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:28 am
absque fenestris wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:11 am I'm really scared about the U's! Just the names: Ulla! Umma! pretty sure Ursula...
My aunt was called Ulla.... :lol:
She's from the German side of my family; I think it's a normal abbreviation for "Ursula" in Germany.
Not much choice in U's. Makes me think about it somehow... :shock:
How will Mint the U's get along?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Uma, Ulrike, Udaya, Ubika, Usha, Ulalia, Undine, Ulyana, Unica, Umber, Ulyssa. Next problem, please? :wink:
Unity is an option too, but... let's not.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”