Linux Mint 19 codenamed “Tara”

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 19 codenamed “Tara”

Post by clem »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ChipCatalano

Re: Linux Mint 19 codenamed “Tara”

Post by ChipCatalano »

I really hope the Theme portion will be addressed in the 19.xx series. I'm a dark theme lover and the dark is ok but needs to be more polished. The icons in the task bar looks horrible, dont match with nothing and the green with the dark theme is just horrible. Thats my thoughts...
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

Hello @ Clem - I have a question about LM 19 Tara. It appears that Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Desktop will only be available as 64 bit. Will Linux Mint 19 follow suit, or are you guys working on 32 bit versions as well? I've been curious about this, since I have an HP Mini laptop that's 32 bit.
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Derek_S wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:41 pm Hello @ Clem - I have a question about LM 19 Tara. It appears that Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Desktop will only be available as 64 bit. Will Linux Mint 19 follow suit, or are you guys working on 32 bit versions as well? I've been curious about this, since I have an HP Mini laptop that's 32 bit.
Good question.... But another question would be: how likely is it, that many 32-bit machines will still be in use after April, 2021 (when support for Mint 18.x ends)? :wink:

If it's reasonable to assume that by that date only a tiny minority of computers will be 32-bit only, then perhaps it would be a waste of developers' time and effort to create 32-bit editions of Mint 19....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Pjotr wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:37 pm Good question.... But another question would be: how likely is it, that many 32-bit machines will still be in use after April, 2021 (when support for Mint 18.x ends)? :wink:
Yet another question is, how many more applications will have dropped 32bit support by that stage? It's really a lot of work for ever diminishing returns at this stage.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

MintBean wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:28 pm Yet another question is, how many more applications will have dropped 32bit support by that stage? It's really a lot of work for ever diminishing returns at this stage.
Valid point. The 32-bit ecosystem is dying, and has been so for years.

Perhaps it's time to give it the final shove into the grave. :mrgreen:
redhawk

Post by redhawk »

Hello,
when will the test version LM19 be available? Alpha, beta?
thnx
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, redhawk.

Telling from the past practice, any alpha version will not be made available to the public at all.
Linux Mint 19 Beta will be available to the public when Clem submits two announcements, titled
+ Linux Mint 19 “Tara” Mate – BETA Release
+ Linux Mint 19 “Tara” Cinnamon – BETA Release
in this sub-forum: Releases & Announcements
As Mint 19 will be based on Ubuntu 18.04 this is not going to happen before Ubuntu 18.04 (final) has been released.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

redhawk wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:38 pm Hello,
when will the test version LM19 be available? Alpha, beta?
thnx
No alpha, only a bèta. Date unknown: it's ready when it's ready. I expect the bèta somewhere in May. The final probably in June.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

It helps massively to read the blog as linked in the starting post. The estimated date is published there. Alphas of Mint get never accessible for the public. Besides that: The February blog is overdue and will likely get published soon. Perhaps it gives more answers. Stay tuned.
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

Just in passing, has Segfault died? Latest update was in May 2017.

http://segfault.linuxmint.com/
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Yes, Segfault will be officially discontinued.
Kilz

Post by Kilz »

Derek_S wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:41 pm Hello @ Clem - I have a question about LM 19 Tara. It appears that Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Desktop will only be available as 64 bit. Will Linux Mint 19 follow suit, or are you guys working on 32 bit versions as well? I've been curious about this, since I have an HP Mini laptop that's 32 bit.
It appears that a 32bit version of Ubuntu Mate 18.04 is available in the daily builds. Lets hope that it enables a 32bit Mint to be made. My daughter has a 32bit laptop and wont use Windows.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Kilz wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:41 pm It appears that a 32bit version of Ubuntu Mate 18.04 is available in the daily builds. Lets hope that it enables a 32bit Mint to be made. My daughter has a 32bit laptop and wont use Windows.
She can always continue to use Mint 18.x until May, 2021.... :wink:
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:33 am
Kilz wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:41 pm It appears that a 32bit version of Ubuntu Mate 18.04 is available in the daily builds. Lets hope that it enables a 32bit Mint to be made. My daughter has a 32bit laptop and wont use Windows.
32bit users really should test out a Live USB thumb drive with the 64bit version of whatever DE they like - I was initially surprised to learn but am now pretty confident that my original 32bit Acer netbook and an older Dell Inspiron run just fine on 64bit Mint, XFCE and Cinnamon. So far no need to install a 64 bit OS since Mint 17.3 is fine for them, but comfortable I won't need to throw my old PCs away if still wanted. I suspect a lot of 32bit machines bought in the last decade will do fine with 64bit Linux.

Update: To notes below, for a long time I thought the preinstalled 32bit Windows (XP and W7) on two machines meant a hardware limitation preventing any 64bit OS from running, and the recent surprise is that's not the case. That's why I suggest building a 64bit Live USB and trying it out. No harm no foul if it doesn't work, but good chance it will.
Last edited by I2k4 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

I2k4 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:54 pm
Pjotr wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:33 am
32bit users really should test out a Live USB thumb drive with the 64bit version of whatever DE they like - I was initially surprised to learn but am now pretty confident that my original 32bit Acer netbook and an older Dell Inspiron run just fine on 64bit Mint, XFCE and Cinnamon. So far no need to install a 64 bit OS since Mint 17.3 is fine for them, but comfortable I won't need to throw my old PCs away if still wanted. I suspect a lot of 32bit machines bought in the last decade will do fine with 64bit Linux.
A 32 bit CPU CAN NOT run a 64 bit OS. Just not possible. No exceptions, no caveats.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

MintBean wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:47 pm A 32 bit CPU CAN NOT run a 64 bit OS. Just not possible. No exceptions, no caveats.

and some of them don't have PAE support
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

MintBean wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:47 pm A 32 bit CPU CAN NOT run a 64 bit OS. Just not possible. No exceptions, no caveats.
so hardware that was based on win-xp, is pretty much obsolete now,
but any hardware that was based on Vista is still current & can be re-used.

ie: that Vista was a 32bit system, but often, the CPU was a 64bit version.
:o
principally because Vista was a 32bit system, you would replace it with a Linux 32 bit system,
& also because the hardware generally had 2Gb ram, or there-abouts.

BTW: just about all of my PCs are recycled win-vista-business edition,
that are now running some form of Linux on them.
- they are typically using a 32bit Linux Operating System.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pierre wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:53 pm
so hardware that was based on win-xp, is pretty much obsolete now,
Nonsense. XP had a 64bit edition.

How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or 64-bit version of the Windows operating system - Applies to: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Update Rollup 2, Microsoft Windows XP Home...
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

Catweazel is right! I beta tested the 64 bit edition of XP for Microsoft on an Athlon 64 many years ago... My old Athlon system will still run the lighter versions of 64 bit Mint quite well. 32 bit hardware is becoming history for sure but 32 bit software will still run on a 64 bit system (probably with some caveats.) I remember going through this same issue when 16 bits was the future.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”