Linux Mint 19 codenamed “Tara”

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Linux Mint 19 codenamed “Tara”

Post by catweazel »

Jmthomas87 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:02 pm Ah, understood. Thanks for the info. I can wait.
You're most welcome.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
oxygenfarm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oxygenfarm »

Is there (or could there be) an "official' sticky instruction for safely saving /home for insertion to Mint 19, when it is released. I have moderate talent, but am always willing to become smarter!
arsivci
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arsivci »

oxygenfarm wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:49 am Is there (or could there be) an "official' sticky instruction for safely saving /home for insertion to Mint 19, when it is released. I have moderate talent, but am always willing to become smarter!
Here is what I do:

My disk partitions are /, swap and /home (MBR). After live disk is loaded I start the installation and tell partitioner I want to do something else; i.e. not install alongside Linux xyz or use entire disk. I change the partitions and choose mount points same, /, swap and /home. Only / partition is marked for reformatting. And I let the program do its thing.

One extra thing I always do when prompted is changing my user name to something else. For instance if your user name is name, use newname as the user for this installation. This gives two directories under /home: /name and /newname. I cut everything I need from /name and paste under /newname. This avoids dot-file clutter and/or clash. All programs like Thunderbird, Firefox etc will have pristine dot-files, and you can check or copy or import old configs to /newname. If you think it's time to get rid of /name entirely, fire up a terminal and "sudo rm -rf /name" it. Don't move it to trash.
LMDE 64 Cinnamon | Once, there were windows...
Kilz

Post by Kilz »

oxygenfarm wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:49 am Is there (or could there be) an "official' sticky instruction for safely saving /home for insertion to Mint 19, when it is released. I have moderate talent, but am always willing to become smarter!
Another option is having multiple install partitions. I have 3 drives and one is a SSD. Its only 120g and split up into 3 partitions. 1 is for testing things. 1 is for an older OS I was using, and the last is my current install. When the new Mint 19 is released I will wipe put the oldest OS I have and replace it. I can always copy things from my last install into the new one by mounting the partition. An advantage is that if for some reason an update or changes you make fubars your install you can still boot into the older one and either fix the new one or format install media to replace it.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

qiang wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 2:07 am The testing iso start with 5 day ago,when will be ready for download? I can not wait ,haha!!
Patients Luke ...You have to wait :mrgreen:
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Pepi wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:03 am
qiang wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 2:07 am The testing iso start with 5 day ago,when will be ready for download? I can not wait ,haha!!
Its said that Tara will be ready when its ready
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Maybe it's "gone with the wind"
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Spearmint2 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:49 pm Maybe it's "gone with the wind"
Crap. I wish I would have thought of that :(
Kilz

Post by Kilz »

deepakdeshp wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:04 pm
Pepi wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:03 am
Its said that Tara will be ready when its ready
Looks pretty ready from my point of view. Its a little convoluted, but its possible to install it because the repositories are up.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

You can click on the iso links to see reports back from testers and responses from the dev team. There are still a few glitches / test failures being ironed out.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Kilz

Post by Kilz »

The testing iso's may have a few small issues left, but they are things a lot of people dont use like hibernate (which is buggy in Ubuntu itself) and home folder encryption. At least I dont use them. So far its Mint 19 Cinnamon is polished and imho incredible. That being said the way I installed it, from the repos, isnt perfect, and a bit convoluted. I would not recommend it for anyone but the most experienced Linux users. I have it for personal testing and may just wipe it when 19 is officially released.
NotSo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NotSo »

I use the "Backup Tool" in Mint 18.3 regularly, so I was wondering when Mint 19 arrives, can I do the install by wiping the drive and installing 19 and then restore my backups with the "Backup Tool".
I also do the extra software that I have installed with the "Backup Tool" so all i need to do is reinstall the software I like.
I am not the "sharpest pencil in the box" so I like to keep it simple, so would that be the best way for me? :)
Linux Mint user since 2016.
LM 21.1 Cinnamon 64-bit. (I keep coming back)
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

NotSo wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:03 pm I use the "Backup Tool" in Mint 18.3 regularly, so I was wondering when Mint 19 arrives, can I do the install by wiping the drive and installing 19 and then restore my backups with the "Backup Tool".
I also do the extra software that I have installed with the "Backup Tool" so all i need to do is reinstall the software I like.
I am not the "sharpest pencil in the box" so I like to keep it simple, so would that be the best way for me? :)
In my opinion (uneducated guess) is your data will be good but software would probably have to be re-installed because the internals in Mint 19 & libraries may have changed and may not be compatible. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will add to this? :?: :?:
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-101 Cinn 6.0.4
Illya Konnoff

Post by Illya Konnoff »

Here is a copy on a letter I'm mailing to Google. Perhaps Clem Lefevre could work on Linux with Google for release 19. I encourage you to send a letter to Google too. Hopefully Clem has time to read posts.

Google Inc.
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043

You should make a Linux variant for Google Unix for the PC. On your search page it would say “Try Android for PC” or “Try Google Linux.” Endless Unix installs within Windows along side Windows. It would be a cross between Endless and Mint Linux with the start button on the right side. In the lower right corner you can toggle between desktops. It would be as easy to use as Endless Unix with options to install more programs than currently comes with Endless Linux or have a package manager like Mint Linux. Help spread the usage of Unix on the Google start page...
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

The correct quote is from Killick aboard the HMS Surprise regarding dinner is "Which it will be ready when its ready"
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
octathlon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by octathlon »

arsivci wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 12:54 pm
One extra thing I always do when prompted is changing my user name to something else. For instance if your user name is name, use newname as the user for this installation. This gives two directories under /home: /name and /newname. I cut everything I need from /name and paste under /newname. This avoids dot-file clutter and/or clash. All programs like Thunderbird, Firefox etc will have pristine dot-files, and you can check or copy or import old configs to /newname.
I have the same partitions as you, but I hadn't thought about switching usernames. Are there any permission issues doing it that way since the original "name" account no longer exists in the system? I can see how keeping the same username might cause problems if you were changing to another distro, but would just going to the new version of Mint be that problematic?

It seems like you'd want to keep the original .thunderbird and .mozilla/firefox subdirs so you'd still have all your Email accounts setup, your emails, bookmarks, etc. How do you handle that part?

Just trying to get a handle on the pros and cons of this idea, thanks.
Full-time Linux user since 2007, Mint since 2014
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Pjotr wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:44 pm The iso testing for Tara has started:
https://community.linuxmint.com/iso
Just a reminder - - that's still Internal testing - Y'know.
8)

The Real Deal is Still Due in June.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
arsivci
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arsivci »

octathlon wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 3:09 am
arsivci wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 12:54 pm
One extra thing I always do when prompted is changing my user name to something else. For instance if your user name is name, use newname as the user for this installation. This gives two directories under /home: /name and /newname. I cut everything I need from /name and paste under /newname. This avoids dot-file clutter and/or clash. All programs like Thunderbird, Firefox etc will have pristine dot-files, and you can check or copy or import old configs to /newname.
I have the same partitions as you, but I hadn't thought about switching usernames. Are there any permission issues doing it that way since the original "name" account no longer exists in the system? I can see how keeping the same username might cause problems if you were changing to another distro, but would just going to the new version of Mint be that problematic?
All files will be owned by newname including everything in the /name directory.
It seems like you'd want to keep the original .thunderbird and .mozilla/firefox subdirs so you'd still have all your Email accounts setup, your emails, bookmarks, etc. How do you handle that part?

Just trying to get a handle on the pros and cons of this idea, thanks.
See Thunderbird profile importhttps://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/mo ... w-computer; i.e. "thunderbird -p" in command line. You just copy it using the -p argument.
For firefox, best way is taking a backup, the old-fashioned way before installation; see "ctrl-shift-o, import and backup tab, backup..." which saves all your bookmarks as a json file.

I generally retain dot-files for customisations I might have made; not necessarily for FF and TB.
LMDE 64 Cinnamon | Once, there were windows...
octathlon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by octathlon »

arsivci wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:55 am All files will be owned by newname including everything in the /name directory.
See Thunderbird profile importhttps://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/mo ... w-computer; i.e. "thunderbird -p" in command line. You just copy it using the -p argument.
Well, that seems easy enough. I wouldn't have guessed that newname would be the owner of all the files. I'll think about doing it that way while I'm waiting for 19 Tara. Thanks for the info.
Full-time Linux user since 2007, Mint since 2014
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

arsivci wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:55 am All files will be owned by newname including everything in the /name directory.
octathlon wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:36 pm I wouldn't have guessed that newname would be the owner of all the files.
Neither would I, thought you'd have to do a chown on them. What I'd do though, is rename the old /home/username and use the original name for the new one, otherwise it could get messy as I use the same username on all systems, which helps with file transfers between computers, using the forceuser=**** line in smb.conf.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Introduce Yourself”