Linux Mint 19 codenamed “Tara”

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Linux Mint 19 codenamed “Tara”

Post by Cosmo. »

If you do not have a problem, simply invent one. :mrgreen: This thread is about LM 19, not about LM 20.x.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hey, we have a problem for every solution and a question for every answer! :lol:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

... and we have topics.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Cosmo. wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:31 am If you do not have a problem, simply invent one. :mrgreen: This thread is about LM 19, not about LM 20.x.
It's called proactive behavior.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It's called being off-topic. Let's stop.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
scjet45
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scjet45 »

absque fenestris wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:11 am No danger with the T's - Tara no problem, then Tereza...?
maybe Tusnelda...???
I'm really scared about the U's! Just the names: Ulla! Umma! pretty sure Ursula...
These are the real concerns of a heroic 32-bitter!
"Uma" Thurman, (of the Kill Bill, and Pulp Fiction days), would also be a very nice codename.
:P
MATE 21.3 | Lenovo Legion 5 17ACH6
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Did you ever hear the expression off-topic? Or do you intentionally ignore the request to stop it? Such things belong somewhere in chat.
scjet45
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scjet45 »

ChipCatalano wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:01 pm I really hope the Theme portion will be addressed in the 19.xx series. I'm a dark theme lover and the dark is ok but needs to be more polished. The icons in the task bar looks horrible, dont match with nothing and the green with the dark theme is just horrible. Thats my thoughts...
agreed.
MATE 21.3 | Lenovo Legion 5 17ACH6
jeanpaulberes

Post by jeanpaulberes »

Hi,
Will there be a smooth upgrade path later from 18.3 to 19 OR is a fresh install required ?
Pilfer

Post by Pilfer »

jeanpaulberes wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 10:37 am Hi,
Will there be a smooth upgrade path later from 18.3 to 19 OR is a fresh install required ?
I know with all previous versions, there was only an upgrade path for minor versions, ie 18.2 > 18.3. Upgrading from one major version to another (18 > 19), requires a fresh install.

I assume it will be the same. Since Linux Mint's base is always an Ubuntu LTS, major versions are always built on a new LTS (18s base was 16.04, 19 will be 18.04). I believe this is the main reason why a fresh install is required. Way to many possibilities for problems to arise when the new version is based off a completely new code-base.

I could be wrong and I feel like I MAY have read something about there being an upgrade path for 19, but I could of imagined that.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Pilfer wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 12:24 pm I could be wrong and I feel like I MAY have read something about there being an upgrade path for 19, but I could of imagined that.
I've read that too, so it's most likely true.

jeanpaulberes

Post by jeanpaulberes »

Pilfer wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 12:24 pm
jeanpaulberes wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 10:37 am Hi,
I know with all previous versions, there was only an upgrade path for minor versions, ie 18.2 > 18.3. Upgrading from one major version to another (18 > 19), requires a fresh install.

I assume it will be the same. Since Linux Mint's base is always an Ubuntu LTS, major versions are always built on a new LTS (18s base was 16.04, 19 will be 18.04). I believe this is the main reason why a fresh install is required. Way to many possibilities for problems to arise when the new version is based off a completely new code-base.

I could be wrong and I feel like I MAY have read something about there being an upgrade path for 19, but I could of imagined that.
Thanks Mate ;-)
Pesebrero
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pesebrero »

lordamit wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:25 am
Pesebrero wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 12:53 am Have you fixed the tearing issue? How?
What tearing issue? o.O
I didn't have any problem from the start when I installed Linux Mint 18.3. I just had to install the necessary drivers from driver manager. Or maybe I didn't use the Nvidia graphics card enabled login enough, maybe. I use intel mode most of the time.
Compared to what I faced using my previous laptop (HP Pavilion DV5, another primus laptop) and Ubuntu - this is a bliss.
It's an old issue with Optimus laptops. When using the Nvidia GPU, you have tearing watching videos online or offline, and also in games (the vsync option does not work).

Also, for some reason, browsing the Internet is sluggish with the Nvidia GPU and faster with the Intel one.
JohnFrumm

Post by JohnFrumm »

Derek_S wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:32 pm Just to put an end to the endless rumors, speculation, and hand wringing, 32 bit versions of LM19 Tara will be released: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3555
It's great that 32-bit support continues, I plan on installing Mint on an older desktop computer with Windows XP and donating it (it runs very fast off of the Mint 18.3 Mate DVD boot).

A few other things I found surprising in that article included
1) the lack of home directory encryption support in Ubuntu 18.04. What does this mean? Mint 19 will possible not have home directory encryption? I will not upgrade if that is the case, unless it could be done after the OS is installed (ecryptfs).
2) Ubuntu sends telemetry data by default

Two of the biggest reasons I dumped Windows last year was the horrible security and worsening privacy (the other was that absurd "Documents and Settings" folder. appdata local roaming blah blah blah....Ughhh).
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

With every new release the "will there be an upgrade path" question gets asked about a hundred times. It's almost like no one actually reads the forum or blog post they are responding in :D

An upgrade path is always "planned". However, the new release isn't even done and out yet. Exactly how it will work, how much can be automated, how much the user might have to do manually, just isn't known until the release is done and we can try.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Me NO LIKEY upgrades :mrgreen: Too much fun to start over :wink:
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

JosephM wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 2:27 am With every new release the "will there be an upgrade path" question gets asked about a hundred times. It's almost like no one actually reads the forum or blog post they are responding in :D

An upgrade path is always "planned". However, the new release isn't even done and out yet. Exactly how it will work, how much can be automated, how much the user might have to do manually, just isn't known until the release is done and we can try.
Before we can try, this would be tested in the lab by the Tara testers ,then we would be advised about the process
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Just to add here Tara in sanskrit means star!
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

ChipCatalano wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:01 pm I really hope the Theme portion will be addressed in the 19.xx series. I'm a dark theme lover and the dark is ok but needs to be more polished. The icons in the task bar looks horrible, dont match with nothing and the green with the dark theme is just horrible. Thats my thoughts...
There are many themes. Even your own should be possible.
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

rickNS wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:40 pm I read some of that blog, and I have to say I am amazed at some of the miniscule (sp) complaints. When you can get such a wonderful OS as Mint for free if you want, without ANY restrictions, some people will still complain about such things as "My screen resolution is XXXX, and the font is too small. Of course it is you got too much res. for a laptop.

I want to thank Mr. Clem for a great job, well done ! I have NO complaints, I love it Mint "AS IS". In fact I kind of hope there are not too many major changes in version 19. That said I am not trying to tell you (him) what to do...I'll have plenty of time to get used to V.19...Am sure I will like it....ha, ha, what's the option anyway ? going back to ...I don't think so.

Bottom line, I think more people should be more appreciative, rather than knit-picking.

BIG THANKS..Rick Nova Scotia
+1 For your thoughts.
Regards,
Deepak

Return to “Introduce Yourself”