Linux Mint 19 codenamed “Tara”

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Linux Mint 19 codenamed “Tara”

Post by catweazel »

Jim Hauser wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:15 am Catweazel is right! I beta tested the 64 bit edition of XP for Microsoft on an Athlon 64 many years ago...
I used to develop drivers on it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

catweazel wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:29 am
Jim Hauser wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:15 am Catweazel is right! I beta tested the 64 bit edition of XP for Microsoft on an Athlon 64 many years ago...
I used to develop drivers on it.
So... YOU are the one huh? :-)
mclarenservices

Post by mclarenservices »

As long as we keep away from 'tethering' and the 'phone home' syndrome. :x
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

I read some of that blog, and I have to say I am amazed at some of the miniscule (sp) complaints. When you can get such a wonderful OS as Mint for free if you want, without ANY restrictions, some people will still complain about such things as "My screen resolution is XXXX, and the font is too small. Of course it is you got too much res. for a laptop.

I want to thank Mr. Clem for a great job, well done ! I have NO complaints, I love it Mint "AS IS". In fact I kind of hope there are not too many major changes in version 19. That said I am not trying to tell you (him) what to do...I'll have plenty of time to get used to V.19...Am sure I will like it....ha, ha, what's the option anyway ? going back to ...I don't think so.

Bottom line, I think more people should be more appreciative, rather than knit-picking.

BIG THANKS..Rick Nova Scotia
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

rickNS:
+1 :D
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-102 Cinn 6.0.4
NewWorldHero
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NewWorldHero »

Hard to determine which thread and section to post in.

After lurking for over a year and installing 18.3 on several new and old machines, I finally donated and registered:
-Will 19 fully support the new AMD 2 series APU's with Vulkan graphics?
-Will the ability to actually see and widen the scroll bar (like in XP, 7, etc) finally be available in 19?
-Will the integration and relationship with GRUB (bootloader) change and hopefully improve?
-Should of started with 18.3 but.. will 19 finally go more main stream to directly compete with and reduce
the market share of Windows 10, especially when it comes to privacy? (Didn't see any SuperBowl commercials ha :))
-Will networking, especially with the use of a single or multihop VPNs, be re-written or improved?
Home and personal use technology is an expense, not an investment..
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hi NewWorldHero,
Lots of questions regarding Mint 19--
regarding "see and widen the scroll bar"
I have been doing this with 'Gnome Color Chooser' for the longest time.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I just used this method to change the Scrollbar size.

Worked a treat for me.

viewtopic.php?f=206&t=265533#p1442526
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Eridanus7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Eridanus7 »

Keeping a 32bit CPU PC is surely only gratifying for sentimental reasons.

Given that one can get a 64bit 1.2GHz quad-core CPU for £32 at "thepihut.com" and one could boot it from a USB mass storage device.(see link)
What's all the fuss about old 32bit machines?

With a Pi3 think of all the electrical power you would save, plus you get Mathematica to help with your children’s maths homework right through to PhD level. :D

https://github.com/raspberrypi/document ... des/msd.md
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

For those who want 32 bit OS in future, when the last 32 bit version is released, remember you can always order the entire repository set of discs from osdisc.com site a month or two before that version's support ends, and have it then available forever.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

just another thought on 32 v 64 bit...my eeepc 1015pe testing netbook was bought about 10 yrs ago and came with a 32 bit win 7 starter edition...i found out though that the atom processor inside was capable of running 64 bit OS...tried out that theory with mint 8.0 and 8.1 xfce...worked brilliantly and much faster than the 32 bit win 7 starter...so dont always believe that just because something came with 32 bit OS that its not able to run 64 bit OS...DAMIEN
Kilz

Post by Kilz »

catweazel wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:07 am
Pierre wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:53 pm
MintBean wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:47 pm A 32 bit CPU CAN NOT run a 64 bit OS. Just not possible. No exceptions, no caveats.
so hardware that was based on win-xp, is pretty much obsolete now,
Nonsense. XP had a 64bit edition.

How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or 64-bit version of the Windows operating system - Applies to: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Update Rollup 2, Microsoft Windows XP Home...
Even so, I highly doubt my daughters HP dv1000 with a 32bit pentium m will run any 64bit version. It doesnt even have pae and needs to have the -forcepae flag used to even boot the 32bit installer. As much as I hate the idea I may have to move away from a Debian/Ubuntu based system for her or go back to Ubuntu for Mate. There is no money to buy her a new laptop, and its a shame because all she does is surf and write emails, which the vd1000 is more than adequate for.
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

I hope this is the right place to post this, a question about Linux Mint 19.
Do the developers of Mint 19 intend to include a minimal installation option similar to the upcoming Ubuntu 18.04? Sounds like this could be a good idea.
What are the pros and cons of minimal installation good and bad? Starting with minimal then only installing the programs we need sounds like a good idea to me :)
Thank you, much appreciate all you work, cheers.
Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon - 64bit
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

When the first public (beta) ISO is available, we will see it. In case that a blog will handle this question, we will perhaps know it. Until this there is nothing possible to say. The end of the month is not so far away, so perhaps we know more in 1 or 2 weeks.
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

Ok, thank you :)
Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon - 64bit
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

They are phasing out all electronics at Goodwill. In my area the Thriftshops rarely have old computers and now Goodwill will not have those huge racks of VCR's, printers etc.. It is only you 500,000 packrats that enable 32bit computers to even exist. They will one day be valuable antiques maybe.

There are many 32bit miniature computers with atom and later cpu's but most of those will not support 64bit or Linux operating systems.

A wise man told me when I first began building (from parts) computers, "Always use the latest technology you can". He was referring to motherboards but that has been my guide in all things computerish. 64bit Mint is on my mini computer with ssd due to this advise.

Don't get me wrong, I support keeping those old units in service as long as possible. It is ok to upgrade however I see no need to "keep it original" and an ssd or even a motherboard/cpu upgrade is ok by me. It is still an Atari even if it has new tech inside but an original is more valuable. So "...latest technology" means (to me) Mint 19 :)
Song

Post by Song »

Not really on topic but I don't want to create a new topic just for this small question:

I've read in one of the recent blog post comments there might be an upgrade path from 18.3 to 19? Is that true?

That would be great for me personally, as I im need for a fresh install sooner rather than later. :)
Sorry if this was answered before somewhere, I couldn't find that though.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Song wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:03 am I've read in one of the recent blog post comments there might be an upgrade path from 18.3 to 19? Is that true?
Probably, because there was also one for the upgrade from 17.x to 18.

That's the good news. Now the bad news: in my experience, only upgrading within a Mint series (e.g. the 18 series) is safe and recommendable. Because within a series, the underlying code base remains the same (for the 18 series: Ubuntu 16.04).

But the 19 series will have a completely different code base, namely the upcoming Ubuntu 18.04. The "jump" from 18.x to 19 will be therefore, in my opinion, much too big for a "dirty" upgrade: the risk of problems and complications is much bigger. So I advise to do a clean installation of Mint 19 in all cases. Sowieso.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Yes, an upgrade path has been announced. And it had always been announced, that this will be available by the update manager.

How reliable this will be, is a matter of how it works. When the upgrade tool from 17.3 to 18 had been released, we could only afterwards find out, how it worked - and this was not really a pleasure.

At least Mint has - already now - TimeShift included. This means, that it will be possible to revert the upgrade, if it does not work as expected. Hopefully the Mint repos include until this time the current version of TimeShift and not the outdated one.

BTW: If you read such information in the blog, why do you ask here? The blog is written by Clem. He is the main developer and the owner of the project. It is impossible, that someone in the forum knows anything about Mint's future, what Clem does not know.
Pilfer

Post by Pilfer »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:24 am
Song wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:03 am I've read in one of the recent blog post comments there might be an upgrade path from 18.3 to 19? Is that true?
Probably, because there was also one for the upgrade from 17.x to 18.

That's the good news. Now the bad news: in my experience, only upgrading within a Mint series (e.g. the 18 series) is safe and recommendable. Because within a series, the underlying code base remains the same (for the 18 series: Ubuntu 16.04).

But the 19 series will have a completely different code base, namely the upcoming Ubuntu 18.04. The "jump" from 18.x to 19 will be therefore, in my opinion, much too big for a "dirty" upgrade: the risk of problems and complications is much bigger. So I advise to do a clean installation of Mint 19 in all cases. Sowieso.
I 100% agree with this. Always do a fresh install, even if there is an upgrade path. Sure it MAY save you time, but it may just as easily be a much bigger headache than wiping out your partitions and installing fresh. Even if there aren't any real issues from the upgrade, I am confident in saying that it will run much smoother with a fresh install.

Plus, didn't you say you are in need of a fresh install, sooner rather than later? Unless you meant doing a fresh 18.3 install now and upgrading in June? Which in that case I would just hold off and do it will 19.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”