Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
rickbee
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Post by rickbee »

i've been a Linux distro hopper for over ten years, and never made the final step to dump windows. Mint is such an awesome piece of work, I have now made the transition I always said I would do, and dumped windows.A significant step for me! I also like and use Macs (gasp), but haven't felt the need to boot into the Mac OS for over three weeks now, too busy enjoying Mint. Its the first Linux OS I have used which doesnt obstruct, frustrate or annoy me. That is down to the work and dedication you guys have put into this fine software. What has surprised me is the change Mint has brought around in me and my work. I'm having an enormous amount of fun learning and using Mint. I'm enthusiastic again and I thank you for that unexpected but welcome effect.

Congratulations on a fine release

Rgds

Rick
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Let me extend a warm welcome to all the new members of the Mint family!
Hope you'll stay with us for a loOong time! :mrgreen:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

About the upgrade path from RC1:

If you see nothing in mintupdate it's probably because you're up to date already. If you want to make sure, head on to http://packages.linuxmint.com/#7main and check that the versions you have installed correspond to those shown on that website. From the terminal, to quickly get the version for a particular tool : "apt version packagename", for instance "apt version mintmenu".

About the upgrade path from Mint 6:

I have to be honest, Mint 7 is out, it's the Champion's League final tonight.. and Barcelona is playing, so I won't be working on that tonight, I'll go to the pub instead :) Now having said that, this will be my first priority and I won't start anything else until the upgrade path for Mint 6 is tested and working well. I'm hoping it will be a simple matter of upgrading via APT. If it isn't I'll provide a tool to make the path trivial.

About the x64 edition:

Work on this edition will start after the Mint 6 upgrade path is finalized. I don't expect much work for this edition as most of it was already ironed out for the Main Edition and it should be a simple matter of recompiling everything, porting things to that architecture and eventually testing everything again.

About me:

I mentioned a while back that I was taking some time away from my company. I'll be off for 3 month starting on the 1st of June. So I should have much more time to look into things this summer. The donations and the money generated through advertisement are starting to pay and I'm getting more independent from my employer. These 3 months will be a test for me to see how things go without being paid, without going to work, and with being full time on the Linux Mint project itself. (I have to tell you, I just can't wait for it) :)

Clem.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

clem wrote: About me:

I mentioned a while back that I was taking some time away from my company. I'll be off for 3 month starting on the 1st of June. So I should have much more time to look into things this summer. The donations and the money generated through advertisement are starting to pay and I'm getting more independent from my employer. These 3 months will be a test for me to see how things go without being paid, without going to work, and with being full time on the Linux Mint project itself. (I have to tell you, I just can't wait for it) :)

Clem.
This sounds great!
Hope all works out well for you!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
BladeWS
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BladeWS »

clem wrote:About the upgrade path from RC1:

If you see nothing in mintupdate it's probably because you're up to date already. If you want to make sure, head on to http://packages.linuxmint.com/#7main and check that the versions you have installed correspond to those shown on that website. From the terminal, to quickly get the version for a particular tool : "apt version packagename", for instance "apt version mintmenu".

About the upgrade path from Mint 6:

I have to be honest, Mint 7 is out, it's the Champion's League final tonight.. and Barcelona is playing, so I won't be working on that tonight, I'll go to the pub instead :) Now having said that, this will be my first priority and I won't start anything else until the upgrade path for Mint 6 is tested and working well. I'm hoping it will be a simple matter of upgrading via APT. If it isn't I'll provide a tool to make the path trivial.

About the x64 edition:

Work on this edition will start after the Mint 6 upgrade path is finalized. I don't expect much work for this edition as most of it was already ironed out for the Main Edition and it should be a simple matter of recompiling everything, porting things to that architecture and eventually testing everything again.

About me:

Clem.

Good Luck !!

Thanks @all for the new release! :D
@go
Level 1
Level 1

Post by @go »

Thanks clem, I had the problem about the upgrade from the RC, mintUpdate didn't find anything to update so I checked all the packages with the list you posted, but I found I missed usplash-theme-mint-stripes. I installed it and rebooted but is seems nothing has changed, what does that package do? I guess it's about for the old theme, right?
uskomaton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by uskomaton »

Lovely!
Thanks to the team behind this release.

I've been adventuring on Debian, Arch, Puppy and Xubuntu for the past month or so, but for some reason
I always found Mint to be the one for me, so I'm returning and this time I think I will install it on my main
media PC as well.
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Old Marcus »

It appears that I can't upgrade to Gloria stable from the RC. Following the instructions, I enabled dist-upgrade packages in mintInstall, applied the settings and refreshed, but it keeps claiming I'm up to date. Just to make sure, I checked the history of updates, and the most recent were updates to chromium-browser, hardly a Mint specific package. Yet it keeps claiming I'm up to date, despite all claims to the contrary. Any ideas?
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
When a problem is solved, please add [SOLVED] to your thread title.
mikesol
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikesol »

clem wrote: About me:

Clem.
Thanks for your effort, Mint is a wonderful distro.
Sorry for my bad English
Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

@ Old Marcus
You are probably updated/graded
If you have installed all updates to RC1 you do use the final :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
zeip
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zeip »

Thanks all who worked out GLORIA!

Fantastic, no problems here, everything is running fine!
For example:
-Floppy was found without "using hands"
-Digikam 0.10 is wonderful now
-winedoors running faster
-3D-effects are perfect

One more time: THANK YOU!
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

clem wrote: About the x64 edition:

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :lol:
MatchStickMen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MatchStickMen »

Linux Mint 7 is a very nice and beautiful system, you should be proud, I know I am...
mintmaniac2
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintmaniac2 »

Great! i have tried the Mint 7 RC release livecd and i like it! The new theme suits Mint more than the old Blue and White theme. Also, the old 'LinuxMint' theme's window border was soo rubbish compared to the excellent new one. Do you know of a way to upgrade from Felicia universal to Gloria Main? :D :lol: :)
sudo apt-get purge win7 && sudo apt-get install Freedom
You're currently going through a difficult transition period called "Life."
Borsook
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Borsook »

Out of curiosity - why hasn't Software Sources fix by merlwiz79 been integrated into Mint7?
ayonkhan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ayonkhan »

Downloading . . . :D
=> FOSS Addict | Linux Enthusiast | KDE Fan
=> Linux Mint 14 KDE @ Desktop & HP ProBook 4530s
Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

Borsook wrote:Out of curiosity - why hasn't Software Sources fix by merlwiz79 been integrated into Mint7?
No?
I have not checked - must be a mistake unless there are some side effects I don't know of (too many bytes for a CD maybe?)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Borsook
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Borsook »

Husse wrote:
Borsook wrote:Out of curiosity - why hasn't Software Sources fix by merlwiz79 been integrated into Mint7?
No?
I have not checked - must be a mistake unless there are some side effects I don't know of (too many bytes for a CD maybe?)
To be honest I have not checked it either, but it is still on the "known issues" list.
Borsook
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Borsook »

flaminglemon wrote:I've always been a Windows user. I'm a noob at Linux, but I've always been curious. This is the first distro that has actually convinced me to install it. I played around with Felicia and was impressed... until my menu suddenly went berserk... but just in time for Gloria. Downloaded it, installed it... and at 2 am, I almost fell off my chair. I was extremely surprised that it recognised ALL my hardware from the get go. Something which no other distro has been able to do until now. Sure, maybe other distros like the latest Ubuntu might do that too, but Mint just has that polished look and feel to it, and now, it has the completeness of recognising all my hardware.

Mint team, you are a wonderful bunch. You have done an excellent job and you have finally pushed me into the world of Linux.
To give credit where it's due - I don't think that nowadays hardware support is any different in Ubuntu and Mint, so it would work just the same in Jaunty :)
nickless
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nickless »

As always great work!
Feels good to sit in front of the newest mint, having installed everything and configured the system to my liking. Only a few last adjustments and I can enjoy my new system completely:
1. Change Grub and boot theme back to the mint 6 theme
2. Deactivate cowsay

Did I do something wrong or is cowsay really activated by default?!
And while we're on the topic: How can I deactivate that thing, again? There doesn't seem to be a MintAssistant or anything else with that option and apt-get won't let me remove it without removing the mint-tools as well...

Return to “Releases & Announcements”