MintBox Mini 2

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

MintBox Mini 2

Post by clem »

Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mintbox Mini 2

Post by Flemur »

Oggogg want.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: MintBox Mini 2

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Do a web-search for "Intel J3455 vs i5" lol. The one I saw that blew it out of the water was six years old. 3220M, I think.

Stick a decent CPU in it, one with a GPU side that's (an upgrade to) merely "not so great," and you'll probably end up back-ordered. I like the fanless setup as a concept but, really, it's not like I notice a computer fan unless it starts squealing its death throes.

The low power consumption is good - my laptop consumes almost 90 watts, and I assume this thing uses less. But I'd have to buy a mouse and keyboard, which makes the payback (in that regard) a lengthy affair. So does the hard drive capacity that's screaming for an external drive. The lack of a display is neither here nor there, I suppose, since most folks probably have a television that they can use. Then again, most folks probably don't move them around very often, so that kind of limits the usability to one room. My laptop, injured as it is, can go anywhere there's an electrical outlet. If I spring for a new battery, lol, I can take it out of the house.

$349 seems steep, considering that's what this laptop cost new. Years ago. But an i5 - for the same price - would make it at least a consideration in comparison to a new economy-priced laptop. If you folks get a cut of the gross, that'd up its value in my eyes.
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”