Cinnamon 3.8

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
Post Reply
User avatar
clem
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4072
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:34 am
Contact:

Cinnamon 3.8

Post by clem » Wed May 02, 2018 9:30 am

Image

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2592
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: Cinnamon 3.8

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:28 pm

In the power settings, “Shutdown immediately” can now be chosen for closed lid and critical battery power events


Cinnamon now activates the touchpad if no other pointing devices are present

Awesome!!!

Leloup
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:43 pm

Re: Cinnamon 3.8

Post by Leloup » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:51 pm

Bonjour,

I use now Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit. The kernel release is 4.4.0-053 generic.
The Cinnamon release is 3.6.7.

How do you upgrade the Cinnamon release? How do you do?
I should like assessing the Cinnamon 3.8.

Regards,

Le Loup

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1620
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Cinnamon 3.8

Post by KBD47 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:18 pm

I like what I'm seeing so far Mint Cinnamon 19 beta. The DE is snappy indeed and very polished.
Cinnamon uses about 974mb ram looking at the system monitor, which is lower than Gnome on this machine.
Overall quite impressive. Great job guys!!!

whiteEagle
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:35 pm

Re: Cinnamon 3.8

Post by whiteEagle » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:31 pm

Leloup wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:51 pm
Bonjour,

I use now Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit. The kernel release is 4.4.0-053 generic.
The Cinnamon release is 3.6.7.

How do you upgrade the Cinnamon release? How do you do?
I should like assessing the Cinnamon 3.8.

Regards,

Le Loup
From what I understand, Cinnamon will not be updated in 18.x until the entire version is updated to Mint 19 And, from comments made by Clem in the last day or so, that will not take place until the end of June. Everything now is Beta as far as Mint is concerned. Cinnamon 3.8 is available on Arch Linux

User avatar
JerryF
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3034
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:23 pm
Location: Rhode Island, USA

Re: Cinnamon 3.8

Post by JerryF » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:07 pm

@Leloup

Please adhere to the rules.

This section is for Releases & Announcements, not for troubleshooting or help.

:D
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: Cinnamon 3.8

Post by JosephM » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:20 am

KBD47 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:18 pm
I like what I'm seeing so far Mint Cinnamon 19 beta. The DE is snappy indeed and very polished.
Cinnamon uses about 974mb ram looking at the system monitor, which is lower than Gnome on this machine.
Overall quite impressive. Great job guys!!!
I assume you're meaning the entire system is using that much memory? Cinnamon itself certainly shouldn't be.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1620
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Cinnamon 3.8

Post by KBD47 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:14 am

JosephM wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:20 am
KBD47 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:18 pm
I like what I'm seeing so far Mint Cinnamon 19 beta. The DE is snappy indeed and very polished.
Cinnamon uses about 974mb ram looking at the system monitor, which is lower than Gnome on this machine.
Overall quite impressive. Great job guys!!!
I assume you're meaning the entire system is using that much memory? Cinnamon itself certainly shouldn't be.
That's what I'm seeing on system monitor with no browser or any other apps running.

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: Cinnamon 3.8

Post by JosephM » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:39 pm

KBD47 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:14 am
JosephM wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:20 am
KBD47 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:18 pm
I like what I'm seeing so far Mint Cinnamon 19 beta. The DE is snappy indeed and very polished.
Cinnamon uses about 974mb ram looking at the system monitor, which is lower than Gnome on this machine.
Overall quite impressive. Great job guys!!!
I assume you're meaning the entire system is using that much memory? Cinnamon itself certainly shouldn't be.
That's what I'm seeing on system monitor with no browser or any other apps running.
Just the cinnamon process itself? Or is that the total memory use?
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1620
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Cinnamon 3.8

Post by KBD47 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:42 pm

JosephM wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:39 pm

Just the cinnamon process itself? Or is that the total memory use?
Total for the system with system monitor running.
Same reading with MATE is about 700 mb ram.

User avatar
kc1di
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4705
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:44 pm
Location: Maine USA

Re: Cinnamon 3.8

Post by kc1di » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:51 am

Downloaded and intalled 19 Cinnamon last night working pretty good.
Gdebi will not install programs though when install is pushed it just crashes never asks for password. It will work if you start it with

Code: Select all

sudo gdebi 
from a terminal so must be some permissions thing. gksudo no longer works either.

But so far other than that it's fast and looks good.
Easy tips : https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

User avatar
kc1di
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4705
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:44 pm
Location: Maine USA

Re: Cinnamon 3.8

Post by kc1di » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:58 am

kc1di wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:51 am
Downloaded and intalled 19 Cinnamon last night working pretty good.
Gdebi will not install programs though when install is pushed it just crashes never asks for password. It will work if you start it with

Code: Select all

sudo gdebi 
from a terminal so must be some permissions thing. gksudo no longer works either.

But so far other than that it's fast and looks good.
Today's update fixes the gdebi problem.
Easy tips : https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

greywolf
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:20 pm

Re: Cinnamon 3.8

Post by greywolf » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:27 am

kc1di wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:51 am
.....stuff snipped. gksudo no longer works either.

But so far other than that it's fast and looks good.
Try a web search for "linux gksu deprecated". This is now quite old info. It is GONE.

Learn about "pkexec" for the new method of super user privileges.

greywolf.
It is about the Dragons - it was always about the Dragons!

c++
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:45 pm

Re: Cinnamon 3.8

Post by c++ » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:21 am

KBD47 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:18 pm
Cinnamon uses about 974mb ram looking at the system monitor
Mine:
http://oi64.tinypic.com/29zy8tg.jpg

cinnamon + gnome-screenshot ,

just cinnamon 465 mb ,

LMDE.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1620
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Cinnamon 3.8

Post by KBD47 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:37 am

c++ wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:21 am
Mine:
http://oi64.tinypic.com/29zy8tg.jpg

cinnamon + gnome-screenshot ,

just cinnamon 465 mb ,

LMDE.
That's excellent. I notice ram use in both Xfce and MATE 19 betas also went down from the first release of the betas. I'm looking forward to seeing what Cinnamon looks like on LMDE 3 at the end of next month

Post Reply

Return to “Releases & Announcements”