Linux Mint 19 “Tara” Cinnamon – BETA Release

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Linux Mint 19 “Tara” Cinnamon – BETA Release

Post by kc1di »

Thank Clem and the team.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
tipaul
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tipaul »

Hibernation does not work.

Set laptop lid close to hibernate and also tried hibernate button when logging out, the result is the same :
Black screen with flashing cursor at top-left. Laptop remains on.
Works well with Manjaro Linux..
Old Toshiba Satellite A660 with nvidia GPU.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

tipaul wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:35 am Hibernation does not work.
Bug reports can be made in the comments of the blog post. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

The beta looks interesting and not quite ready for my use, based on the notes. I have a second machine I could boot up for testing. Is there something like a beta 1, beta 2, or a weekly update we can test? Would a boot from USB stick handle testing of things like hibernation?
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Petermint wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:43 pm The beta looks interesting and not quite ready for my use, based on the notes. I have a second machine I could boot up for testing. Is there something like a beta 1, beta 2, or a weekly update we can test?
Typically not although the Beta updates frequently as bugs are squashed. Also, when the Beta is "fixed" and the new ISO is approved for stable release, the installed Beta will become the same as the stable release upon updating after the stable ISO is out.
Petermint wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:43 pm Would a boot from USB stick handle testing of things like hibernation?
I don't think so. Hibernation usually involves the use of a SWAP partition and the Live USB doesn't have a SWAP partition...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

Thank you so much for the hard work everyone has done on this. I loved what I saw when I was doing a live session. There was just one thing that I did not understand and that was to do with updating. I noticed this has now changed and a box pops up saying about backing up. I am sorry but I did not understand the choices that I had to make. It may just be me, but please can someone explain the differences and what is the right choice for most people. I back up my system everyweek onto a HDD portable one. I have never had a problem with updates before. Is this just a security thingy and if it is then can some one please explain it or is there something elsewhere that I can look at.
I am sorry if this is in the wrong place as I tried looking elsewhere and couldn't find it another place for it. Thank you.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

SwanRider wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:08 am Thank you so much for the hard work everyone has done on this. I loved what I saw when I was doing a live session. There was just one thing that I did not understand and that was to do with updating. I noticed this has now changed and a box pops up saying about backing up. I am sorry but I did not understand the choices that I had to make. It may just be me, but please can someone explain the differences and what is the right choice for most people. I back up my system everyweek onto a HDD portable one. I have never had a problem with updates before. Is this just a security thingy and if it is then can some one please explain it or is there something elsewhere that I can look at.
I am sorry if this is in the wrong place as I tried looking elsewhere and couldn't find it another place for it. Thank you.
I've written an article about the new Update Manager in Mint 19, on this page:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/20
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:14 am
SwanRider wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:08 am Thank you so much for the hard work everyone has done on this. I loved what I saw when I was doing a live session. There was just one thing that I did not understand and that was to do with updating. I noticed this has now changed and a box pops up saying about backing up. I am sorry but I did not understand the choices that I had to make. It may just be me, but please can someone explain the differences and what is the right choice for most people. I back up my system everyweek onto a HDD portable one. I have never had a problem with updates before. Is this just a security thingy and if it is then can some one please explain it or is there something elsewhere that I can look at.
I've written an article about the new Update Manager in Mint 19, on this page:
Thank you Pjort that makes things easy to understand
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:14 am I've written an article about the new Update Manager in Mint 19, on this page:
EXCELLENT page Pjotr! Thanx! :mrgreen:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
briliath
Level 1
Level 1

Post by briliath »

Freakin' awesome release.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Where would we find a complete list of upstream changes?

Today I had a problem with a CD drive that worked in every release of LM prior to 18.3 and failed the only time I tried to use it in 18.3. I am thinking about testing the drive in 19 beta. I thought it might be easier to search through issues/fixes up at the Ubuntu level and see if any relate to optical drives.
MMcD488
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MMcD488 »

I made a live USB and fired it up on my newer HP laptop. It seems great from the little that I used it. Cinnamon is noticeably snappier than it was in 18.3. It also seems like the battery life has improved too since the last release.
New Linux enthusiast
Old Mint box - Dell XPS m140 running Mint 18.2 32-bit with XFCE and LXQt

Return to “Releases & Announcements”