Linux Mint 19 “Tara” MATE – BETA Release

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 19 “Tara” MATE – BETA Release

Post by clem »

sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 19 “Tara” MATE – BETA Release

Post by sdibaja »

clem wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:51 am https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3582
Congrats Clem. I look forward to testing.

I would like to suggest your blog posts include the official place to report bugs.

If there is more than One single place to report bugs I suggest you change that.

and thanks very much for the torrent. direct downloads are near impossible out here on the edges of the grid.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

sdibaja wrote:I would like to suggest your blog posts include the official place to report bugs.
It already does. See the "Bug reports" sections for complete details.

Joe
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

JoeFootball wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:37 am
sdibaja wrote:I would like to suggest your blog posts include the official place to report bugs.
It already does. See the "Bug reports" sections for complete details.

Joe
thanks Joe, I looked but it did not jump out to me.
As I read it again "roadmap" does not appear to be a place to post bugs for the Beta testers. That looks like a catch all for every darn thing.
If that is where it needs to be, cool.

Clem can you clarify and verify please?
Peter
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

sdibaja wrote:I looked but it did not jump out to me.
Clem's blog post wrote:Please report bugs below in the comment section of this blog.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Wow Clem,

This is just excellent.
I keep an experimental system just for evaluation purposes, and 19 Mate loaded and worked out of the box with all the hardware first time.

There are a few minor 'beta' niggles to be expelled but I expect 19 will become my new home network os.

The new Update Manager is very friendly and should relieve many newbie update level anxieties, especially with the incorporated Timeshift features--brilliant.

Special thanks and congratulations to you and the entire team for the efforts and expertise showcased in this release.

Look for a little extra something in the donation box this month--I hope others will follow as well.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Thanks for the hard work Clem & Team!
bwat47

Post by bwat47 »

Installed it on my laptop, seems VERY polished for a beta release. Mint 19 will be great!
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Anyone know if compiz works in mint 19 Mate ?
I guess while waiting I'll just download and see for myself.

EDIT, downloaded, loaded on stick with persistence.
I see CSM in control center, and yes compiz works.

No time to "play" now, and no need to upgrade anytime soon. I see I'll have to get used to some new icons, but other than that I expect "business as usual"
MINT ROCKS !
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
tosim
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tosim »

Thank you very much. Now am awaiting final release.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

bwat47 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:44 pm Installed it on my laptop, seems VERY polished for a beta release. Mint 19 will be great!
I agree. It is just about ready for prime time :)
The only thing I'm seeing right now is Mint Y theme icons are still off, getting ugly gnome icons with it. Also the bottom panel doesn't scale correctly when you increase the size of the panel. Notification icons get huge while the rest don't seem to increase at all. I posted about this on the blog.
One thing that has blown me away, I'm sitting at 40 C idling on Mint MATE 19. That is the coolest running OS I've seen on this machine. Debian KDE runs around 45 C and even MX is about 44 C idling.
Ram is another matter though. With no apps running just system monitor on MATE 19 Mint ram is 900mb. With Window compositor off it is 884mb. That is a bit high as my Debian 9 MATE OS system monitor is about 700mb and Debian 9 KDE also 700mb. I'm wondering if gtk3 causing the bump up in ram use? It's not a huge amount, but makes a difference on low spec machine and is comparable to Cinnamon as it also was 900mb ram with nothing but system monitor open.
1300mb on MATE 19 with Firefox open and 2 tabs running. Similar to Cinnamon Mint 19, but I think Cinnamon ran a few degrees warmer temp-wise.
Temps on Mint MATE 19 beta surfing through a few pages and working on gmail:

Code: Select all

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +40.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:        +36.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:        +38.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +39.0°C  (crit = +98.0°C)
Last edited by KBD47 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Too bad bug reporting is so difficult, and there is no feedback.
"lost in the blog"... Wasn't that an old sci-fi movie in the 60's?
Peter
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

sdibaja wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:59 pm Too bad bug reporting is so difficult, and there is no feedback.
That's a lousy way to handle bug reporting :( There has to be a better way to do that. And it has to be a pain for them too with so many posts.
Honestly, setting up a bug report thread here on the forum makes more sense.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

KBD47 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:46 pm
sdibaja wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:59 pm Too bad bug reporting is so difficult, and there is no feedback.
That's a lousy way to handle bug reporting :( There has to be a better way to do that. And it has to be a pain for them too with so many posts.
If you say so :) We've been doing it this way for years. Clem seems to have a system for sorting it all. It gets put in the linux mint roadmap on github and then the rest of us can just go there to pick out things to work on.

I don't see how a forum thread would be any better. It also doesn't require creating an account. While we've gotten more feedback on this beta than I can ever remember (especially for the Cinnamon edition) a lot of it is repeats or just irrelevant. Things like "don't use systemd", "drop the ubuntu base", "base on devuan", you know that sort of thing ;)
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

JosephM wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:43 am
KBD47 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:46 pm
If you say so :) We've been doing it this way for years. Clem seems to have a system for sorting it all. It gets put in the linux mint roadmap on github and then the rest of us can just go there to pick out things to work on.

I don't see how a forum thread would be any better. It also doesn't require creating an account. While we've gotten more feedback on this beta than I can ever remember (especially for the Cinnamon edition) a lot of it is repeats or just irrelevant. Things like "don't use systemd", "drop the ubuntu base", "base on devuan", you know that sort of thing ;)
I guess if you guys can "sort it out", it's all good. As you mentioned yourself "a lot of it is repeats", so that said it would seem a lot better for everyone to have a place / blog for just the bugs without the extraneous natter...would it not?
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

so that said it would seem a lot better for everyone to have a place / blog for just the bugs without the extraneous natter...would it not?
It wouldn't matter where we put it. We would get the same stuff. It wouldn't change anything.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I am glad it works well for Clem.
As for users, 202 comments we have to read through to see if someone has reported or found a fix for same issue (Xfce), 267 (MATE), 898 (Cinnamon), which kind of discourages bug reporting :(
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

KBD47 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:08 pm

I am glad it works well for Clem.
As for users, 202 comments we have to read through to see if someone has reported or found a fix for same issue (Xfce), 267 (MATE), 898 (Cinnamon), which kind of discourages bug reporting :(
agreed KBD47
no response to a report is also very significant... why bother reporting, it seems to be ignored anyway :(
Clem does not have the ear of the consumer (as far as We know)... we get served what we get served
Peter
Alejandros1989
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alejandros1989 »

Da colui che ha creato una distribuzione Linux che antepone le esigenze dei consumatori prima dei problemi di licenza ci si dovrebbe aspettare più ascolto per quest'ultimi anziché fare orecchio da mercante.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

JosephM wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:41 pm
so that said it would seem a lot better for everyone to have a place / blog for just the bugs without the extraneous natter...would it not?
It wouldn't matter where we put it. We would get the same stuff. It wouldn't change anything.
On second though I realize you are right, no matter where it is done you will get that kind of stuff. Like I said though at least as long as you guys can figure it out is all that matters. Furthermore, a lot of the "bugs" reported are knit pickers anyway. Like I said when 19 was first introduced.

Sorry for being a knit picker myself...

Return to “Releases & Announcements”