Linux Mint 19 "Tara" Xfce released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 19 "Tara" Xfce released!

Post by clem »

rstreeter

Re: Linux Mint 19 "Tara" Xfce released!

Post by rstreeter »

Is it possible to upgrade from 18.3 to 19?
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

rstreeter wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:42 pm Is it possible to upgrade from 18.3 to 19?
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3599
Upgrade instructions:

Announcements will be made shortly with instructions on how to upgrade from Linux Mint 18.3.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Using it and loving it :)
Xfce 19 came a long way through the beta process. One minor issue, if you change anything on the digital clock it crashes on the panel. Same issue I reported on the blog. I got tired of fighting it and installed xfce4-goodies and installed the clock from there. Otherwise everything is pretty much flawless on Xfce Mint 19.
Thanks for the hard work you guys do!
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

I D/L Mint 19 Xfce edition earlier this evening and I will install this on my Thinkpad T430 notebook to tested it out.
AJ1000

Post by AJ1000 »

Gdebi does not work for me, has anyone else had the same problem?
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

AJ1000 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:52 am Gdebi does not work for me, has anyone else had the same problem?
I just used it last night to install software without issue on Xfce 19, but I'm using a fresh install, are you using the updated beta?
AJ1000

Post by AJ1000 »

No, it was a clean install as well, but gdebi failed, with an apt failure. I get an apt failure message.

On my 18.3 I have the option “Open with software install”, when right clicking the deb file. Any ideas how that was in 18.3? How can I get it into 19?

You said gdebi worked for you, was that on the command line or right click. If the command line what command did you run?

Thanks.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

AJ1000 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:12 pm No, it was a clean install as well, but gdebi failed, with an apt failure. I get an apt failure message.

On my 18.3 I have the option “Open with software install”, when right clicking the deb file. Any ideas how that was in 18.3? How can I get it into 19?

You said gdebi worked for you, was that on the command line or right click. If the command line what command did you run?

Thanks.
I actually installed 2 programs with gdebi last night as I look at my downloads folder. I right-clicked and used gdebi to install them. If your install begins you can open the drop down window in gdebi to see the progress of the download and if there is an issue during installation.
I can right-click on them and have the option of gdebi or choose something else to open them with. Is it possible your program did not download properly and is corrupted?
AJ1000

Post by AJ1000 »

The deb files are ok as they worked with Ubuntu bionic. As I prefer linux mint, I wanted to install them on Tara.

For example, I use Ubuntu cleaner and wanted to install its deb file. The error I see is after clicking the ‘install package’ button is: An unhandled error occurred. There appears to be a programming error in aptdaemon. Org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply.

I have just installed Tara final today and have not changed any settings of importance.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I would start a support thread so we don't further distract from the topic of this one. It will get more attention and hopefully some answers for the problem you are having with gdebi.
AJ1000

Post by AJ1000 »

Ok, I will do. I will wait until the update manager gives me the option to upgrade from 18.3 to 19. All my software is on 18.3 and is fine, so if that works then I don’t need gdebi.

Thanks.
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silvatech »

AJ1000 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:56 pm Ok, I will do. I will wait until the update manager gives me the option to upgrade from 18.3 to 19. All my software is on 18.3 and is fine, so if that works then I don’t need gdebi.

Thanks.
Same, except I am impatiently waiting :P Really am excited to upgrade =).

edit

Is anyone else now and then refreshing their update check and checking for a post on upgrade instructions?
AJ1000

Post by AJ1000 »

I have got gdebi to work, using synaptic. I did the following:

Remove gdebi and gdebi-core.
Load gdebi-core but force it to be the bionic version. Then I locked it.
Load gdebi but force it to be the bionic version. Then I locked it.

Opened Thunar as root user. Installing Ubuntu cleaner deb file worked without problem, using right click. I am putting this workaround here in case anyone else has this problem.
heu

Post by heu »

I upgraded to 19 hoping my issues with a Dell USB-C dock would be solved but they actually got worse. On top of that, the sound stopped working. Cannot recommend this version.
kevinrse

Post by kevinrse »

Just downloading an image for installation now. I see that there is a "v2" of the 64-bit XFCE edition in the verification file `sha256sum.txt` but the file I downloaded (from U. of Canterbury mirror in New Zealand) is version 1 judging by its sha256 hash.

Anything important to know about this "version 2" image? I see it listed here https://community.linuxmint.com/iso - looks like v2 was posted 4 days ago by Clem - but I'm not a developer so the info there doesn't mean much to me.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

kevinrse wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:39 am Anything important to know about this "version 2" image?
The v2 isos resolve a bug that would result in install failure for EFI installs unless the machine was offline during the install.

See https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3620 for a bit more background
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Palladini
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Palladini »

I downloaded the ISO for Linux Mint 19 about the day after it was released, and put it on Thumb Drive and installed it on my Desktop. A better Operating System has never been Made by anybody, ever. I give Kudos to the team involved in creating this Operating System, Thank You.
[b]I love Linux Mint 21.1 Vanessa Cinnamon[/b]
Using Linux Mint since 2007, not programming smart, last program language I learned was called Basic on a Commodore 64

Return to “Releases & Announcements”