How to upgrade to Linux Mint 19

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to upgrade to Linux Mint 19

Post by Night Wing »

mingle wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:39 pmSurely timeshift should be optional for those users that already have backup/restore procedures in-place?
When you installed Mint 19, if you didn't want Timeshift, all you had to do was to open your Update Manager, left click on Edit, then left click on Preferences, then under Interface, UNCHECK the choice "show a warning if system snapshots are not set up". Then left click the word Apply.

This is what I did to avoid Timeshift.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

Q - when upgrading can I do it over Wi-Fi?
Computer is in a different room to internet router.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

vladtepes wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:29 am Q - when upgrading can I do it over Wi-Fi?
Computer is in a different room to internet router.
You certainly can.
tgwilt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tgwilt »

My Toshiba Satellite 775 has very reliable wifi connection to my Linksys Wifi Router. I upgraded from 18.3 to 19 using wireless yesterday with no problems. All is working well, including wireless, sound, and video.

As always, YMMV
lolmer

Post by lolmer »

Night Wing wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:48 pm
mingle wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:39 pmSurely timeshift should be optional for those users that already have backup/restore procedures in-place?
When you installed Mint 19, if you didn't want Timeshift, all you had to do was to open your Update Manager, left click on Edit, then left click on Preferences, then under Interface, UNCHECK the choice "show a warning if system snapshots are not set up". Then left click the word Apply.

There's no such "Interface" section in Update Manager (mintupdate 4.43), with or without Timeshift installed, on Linux Mint 18.3. I don't need forced backups of a system I've already backed up elsewhere. Whomever decided that forcing this Timeshift down my throat is a good idea, well, it's not.

Luckily there's a simple work-around for this wasteful requirement (it's awesome as an option for those who want/need it, but it's awful to force onto people who don't need/want it):

Code: Select all

sudo touch /etc/timeshift.json
:)
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

lolmer wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:18 am

There's no such "Interface" section in Update Manager (mintupdate 4.43), with or without Timeshift installed, on Linux Mint 18.3. I don't need forced backups of a system I've already backed up elsewhere. Whomever decided that forcing this Timeshift down my throat is a good idea, well, it's not.
There "IS" an Interface section in the Update Manager for Mint in.......wait for it......."19" since the Update Manager in 19 has Timeshift included by default for snapshots when doing the updates for Mint 19. Mint 18.3 does not include Timeshift when doing the Mint updates so this is why you can't find it in Mint (18.3).

Since this topic is about Mint 19 and not 18.3, read the release notes and what is new about Mint 19. You have a choice. Stay with 18.3 which does not include Timeshift by default in the Update Manager. But if you decide to upgrade to 19, since you don't want Timeshift turned on for Mint 19, you'll have to follow the directions I listed to disable the Timeshift snapshots in Mint 19.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
lolmer

Post by lolmer »

Night Wing wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:05 am
lolmer wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:18 am There's no such "Interface" section in Update Manager (mintupdate 4.43), with or without Timeshift installed, on Linux Mint 18.3. I don't need forced backups of a system I've already backed up elsewhere. Whomever decided that forcing this Timeshift down my throat is a good idea, well, it's not.
There "IS" an Interface section in the Update Manager for Mint in.......wait for it......."19" since the Update Manager in 19 has Timeshift included by default for snapshots when doing the updates for Mint 19. Mint 18.3 does not include Timeshift when doing the Mint updates so this is why you can't find it in Mint (18.3).

Since this topic is about Mint 19 and not 18.3, read the release notes and what is new about Mint 19. You have a choice. Stay with 18.3 which does not include Timeshift by default in the Update Manager. But if you decide to upgrade to 19, since you don't want Timeshift turned on for Mint 19, you'll have to follow the directions I listed to disable the Timeshift snapshots in Mint 19.

Luckily for me, this topic is about upgrading to Linux Mint 19 from an already installed Linux Mint, so we'll be on 18.3 or earlier, which has no Interface option in Update Manager to disable Timeshift so that we can do the upgrade (from say Linux Mint 18.3 -> 19) without a pointless (for some of us) forced backup. :)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
The question by pulseur has been moved here; please do not post questions on an announcement topic. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
graham-h
Level 1
Level 1

Post by graham-h »

Now I'm confused. The 'what's new' post says:
[Timeshift] is now at the center of Linux Mint's update strategy and communication.
So not installing it is not an option. And when I did install it as instructed in 18.3, I can't see any method of turning off snapshots once you have made one. I just don't have enough internal storage for these snapshots and Timeshift doesn't seem to support backing up to network drives. What are my options?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

graham-h wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:00 pm So not installing it is not an option. And when I did install it as instructed in 18.3, I can't see any method of turning off snapshots once you have made one. I just don't have enough internal storage for these snapshots and Timeshift doesn't seem to support backing up to network drives. What are my options?
Load Timeshift and delete all snapshots, then disable scheduled snapshots in settings, should you have enabled them. That's all. Unless you decide to manually create a snapshot, none will be taken. You can even uninstall timeshift, it's not a required part of the system - future mintupgrade scripts will likely require it again though.
graham-h
Level 1
Level 1

Post by graham-h »

Thanks. Once I twigged that the daily/weekly/etc settings are tick boxes, not radio buttons, it became clear how to turn snapshots off :oops:
SantaFe
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to upgrade to Linux Mint 19 [Solved]

Post by SantaFe »

I'm not a fan. I tried setting it up to do 1 monthly backup & had it store it on my freshly formatted 1 terabyte HD. Started it & HD light never went off, even after 4 hours. Now it was backing up my 480 GB NVME which only had 80 gigs used, but when I looked at the backup storage drive it was down to around 500 gigs left. I'll stick with Clonezilla thank you. ;)
Last edited by SantaFe on Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

SantaFe wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:11 pm I'm not a fan. I tried setting it up to do 1 monthly backup & had it store it on my freshly formatted 1 terabyte HD. Started it & HD light never went off, even after 4 hours. Now it was backing up my 480 GB NVME which only had 80 gigs used, but when I looked at the backup storage drive it was down to around 500 gigs left. I'll stick with Clonezilla thank you. ;)
Then I would think that Timeshift was not setup properly.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

SantaFe wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:11 pm I'm not a fan. I tried setting it up to do 1 monthly backup & had it store it on my freshly formatted 1 terabyte HD. Started it & HD light never went off, even after 4 hours. Now it was backing up my 480 GB NVME which only had 80 gigs used, but when I looked at the backup storage drive it was down to around 500 gigs left. I'll stick with Clonezilla thank you. ;)
Sounds like you didn't create a filter to exclude your 1 TB HD from the backups, so timeshift would basically create snapshots of the snapshots as well and thus exponentially grow the snapshot sizes. Correctly configured all the timeshift snapshots combined take up little more space than the space used on your root partition.
graham-h
Level 1
Level 1

Post by graham-h »

gm10 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:57 pm so timeshift would basically create snapshots of the snapshots as well and thus exponentially grow the snapshot sizes.
No. It doesn't do that. I backed up to a USB stick without any further configuration and just got a copy of my system directories.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

Upgraded 18.3 to 19 today, no issues, all went fine. The only "issue" maybe is the slow boot, much slower than before. Beautiful release, thanks Clem!
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

xfrank wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:15 am Upgraded 18.3 to 19 today, no issues, all went fine. The only "issue" maybe is the slow boot, much slower than before. Beautiful release, thanks Clem!
If you let update manager apply the 4.15.0-24 kernel after install, try one of the earlier ones listed in update manager to avoid the slow boot issue which is affecting some hardware configurations. Hopefully the next kernel update will resolve the issue.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

smurphos wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:40 am
xfrank wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:15 am Upgraded 18.3 to 19 today, no issues, all went fine. The only "issue" maybe is the slow boot, much slower than before. Beautiful release, thanks Clem!
If you let update manager apply the 4.15.0-24 kernel after install, try one of the earlier ones listed in update manager to avoid the slow boot issue which is affecting some hardware configurations. Hopefully the next kernel update will resolve the issue.
Thanks for the advice, I will try the previous kernel. :)
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

Hmm. So if on 18.3 has there been a kernel update between then and Mint19?
If not, then how do I update Mint but tell it to keep the existing kernel?
Alternatively, once installed how do I then change the kernel?

Thanks
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

vladtepes wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:07 pm Alternatively, once installed how do I then change the kernel?
In Update Manager > View > Linux Kernels - you can install available kernels from the repos and remove them except the current in use kernel. So if post upgrade you end up on -24 and it's not working well on your hardware (the problems aren't universal - I don't have any issues with that kernel on my machine), just make sure you have 4.15.0-23 or -20 installed then reboot, use the Grub menu to specify the earlier kernel to use and then go back to Update manager and remove kernel -24. On most systems, Grub can be accessed via pressing the left shift key during the boot sequence before the mint logo is displayed. Sometimes it's the escape key.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”