How to upgrade to Linux Mint 19

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to upgrade to Linux Mint 19

Post by stephanieswitzer »

Worked without any problems for me. It did take 1.5 hrs, but there was no setting up required afterwards
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz
System76 Galago Pro 4, running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel i5-1021 CPU @ 4.2 Ghz
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to upgrade to Linux Mint 19 <SOLVED>

Post by curtvaughan »

Thanks to the Mint team for an issue-free update from 18.3 Cinnamon to 19 Cinnamon. My only issue after the update is that I don't get a response when I enter "sudo <command>" or "sudo -i". If, after entering "sudo -i" and getting no prompt, if I enter my password (it unfortunately echos in the terminal), there is a pause for several seconds, after which i get the "root@<machine name># " prompt. If I enter "sudo <command>", I again get no "enter password" prompt, but after a pause of several seconds the command seems to execute as root. I did a "sudo apt update" and a "sudo apt upgrade" in this fashion, without entering my password.

Here is a sample with output when attempting to execute gparted:

curt@linuxmint19 ~ $ sudo -i

root@linuxmint19:~#
root@linuxmint19:~#
root@linuxmint19:~# gparted
Unit -.mount does not exist, proceeding anyway.
No protocol specified

(gpartedbin:7292): Gtk-WARNING **: 13:32:42.153: cannot open display: :0
root@linuxmint19:~# logout
curt@linuxmint19 ~ $

Could the warning from gparted about the display be related to all of this?

Thanks.
Last edited by curtvaughan on Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Starting from Mint 18.3, I followed the instructions at
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3615
and everything works great.

I had these errors show up several (8 or 10?) times, but no noticeable effect:

Code: Select all

/sbin/ldconfig.real: Warning: ignoring configuration file that cannot be opened: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_GL.conf: No such file or directory
/sbin/ldconfig.real: Warning: ignoring configuration file that cannot be opened: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_EGL.conf: No such file or directory
/sbin/ldconfig.real: Warning: ignoring configuration file that cannot be opened: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_GL.conf: No such file or directory
Also did

systemctl disable keyboard-setup.service
systemctl disable ubuntu-system-adjustments.service
then

systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 3.579s (kernel) + 2.115s (userspace) = 5.694s
(It was about 5.3s total before upgrade).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to upgrade to Linux Mint 19 and sudo after upgrade <SOLVED>

Post by curtvaughan »

Hello. I found the problem I mentioned above regarding "sudo". The mintupdate process generates a file "/etc/sudoers.d/mintupdate", which gets added to the sudoers file upon login. Here are the contents of "/etc/sudoers.d/mintupdate":

# Allow any user to check for new system updates without
# requiring user authentication.

Cmd_Alias UPDATE = /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/checkAPT.py

ALL ALL = NOPASSWD:UPDATE

Renaming that file to "mintupdate.bck", logging out, and logging back in got things back to normal.
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

wh7qq
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wh7qq »

The upgrade from 18.3 went smoothly enough following Clem's helpful instructions but several things got lost in the shuffle...mostly the Xfce panel. The Update Manager, Time, the Action Button and Audio volume all got lost and the running programs got shifted to the right side of the panel. Also, while it did the upgrade, I cannot change to the newer Mint desktop backgrounds. Neither is a big deal, but minor anoyances.
danneauxs

Post by danneauxs »

Not sure what constitutes a conflict where I have to manually remove items.
2159 upgraded, 435 newly installed, 39 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,910 MB of archives.
After this operation, 1,536 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] N
Abort.
Do I have to track down those 39 times myself? At this point I am assuming so since "N" "Abort" is automatically being chosen. Sorry if I'm being dense but
If it shows packages which are preventing the upgrade, remove them (and take note of them so you can try to reinstall them after the upgrade).
leads me to think this would be obvious, as in this won't work because of THIS... and not listed in the "39 to remove" Y/N option.

I could be wrong since people all look at something differently.

TIA
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

danneauxs wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:27 pm TIA
It's best to post your questions into an appropriate forum rather than tacking on to the end of a release announcement. The other forums are better monitored by people who may be able to assist you.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
wh7qq
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wh7qq »

danneauxs wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:27 pm Not sure what constitutes a conflict where I have to manually remove items.
2159 upgraded, 435 newly installed, 39 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,910 MB of archives.
After this operation, 1,536 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] N
Abort.
Do I have to track down those 39 times myself? At this point I am assuming so since "N" "Abort" is automatically being chosen. Sorry if I'm being dense but
If it shows packages which are preventing the upgrade, remove them (and take note of them so you can try to reinstall them after the upgrade).
leads me to think this would be obvious, as in this won't work because of THIS... and not listed in the "39 to remove" Y/N option.

I could be wrong since people all look at something differently.

TIA
Rather than simply inform the poster that an un-named other forum would be more "appropriate", suggesting a specific forum of the many would be much more helpful. There are similar preceding posts answered with helpful suggestions. So what would be an "appropriate" forum for this question?

That said, the poster should not assume that the default "N" is the best choice but to continue on with a "y" is fine, but when all is done, an "apt-get auto-remove" would be a good thing to do. Aborting just wasted all the time spent to this point.
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

clem wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:39 am https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3615
I used this method without any problems. It was clear as what to do and I found it easy to do by following the instructions. The only problem I had was with the tftmscfonts which was solved by uninstalling them first. Once this was done all ran smoothly. It took it's time, but that is because there is a lot to do.
It is probably best to do a clean install, but as I say if you don't mind taking your time then this works fine providing you follow the instructions. So thanks to whoever took the time to do this
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

It hard locked the computer while I was doing Timeshift backup, and I had to turn off the computer to get it to reset. Very strange, it has worked like a charm ever since.
nkoropoff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nkoropoff »

This method: clem wrote:

⤴Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:39 pm https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3615

Also worked just fine for me. As mentioned above, it took a bit of time but the results were great.

Update 07/07: Used the same procedure to upgrade my wife's identical hardware system and all seemed fine until boot up time when Cinnamon kept coming up in safe mode. So did a clean install on her machine instead.
Last edited by nkoropoff on Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danneauxs

Post by danneauxs »

That said, the poster should not assume that the default "N" is the best choice but to continue on with a "y" is fine, but when all is done, an "apt-get auto-remove" would be a good thing to do. Aborting just wasted all the time spent to this point.
Thanks, but I wasn't given the choice. mintupdate did not wait for my input but instead instantly input "N" all on it's own. Ran "apt-get auto-remove" already.

I'll just hunt them all down manually and remove them.

Thank You
kinwolf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kinwolf »

Couple of problems during the upgrade. I am really glad for the timeshift tool that is now included in 18.3, I was able to get back to a stable 18.3 OS. :D

Problem 1: Even though mintupgrade download download all the packages, there are still some steps that connect to the mint packages repo, and luck have it, it was unreachable. I had to relaunch the upgrade 3 times because of timeouts.

Problem 2: Once it finally went through, and after the reboot, the mousepad was barely working. The single-tap click wasn't working, and the pad itself stoppe responding for a few sec every time I hit a keyboard key. This look like a similar problem that is present in kernel 4.13(currently running on 4.11 because of that problem) but I did not have the problem when I tested mint 19 on a usb stick. Weird.

I didn't went further as the mousepad problem was a deal breaker.

Tried the upgrade on a XPS 13 9343
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

Has anyone come across this? I tried updating my wife's laptop and got this
!! ERROR: MESA 18.0.5 currently breaks the upgrade between Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04 and Linux Mint 18.3 and Linux Mint 19. Restore a snapshot taken before MESA was upgraded to 18.0.5, or wait for Ubuntu to fix this problem.
!! Exiting.
I can't seem to get a work around it
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

SwanRider wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:09 am Has anyone come across this? I tried updating my wife's laptop and got this
!! ERROR: MESA 18.0.5 currently breaks the upgrade between Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04 and Linux Mint 18.3 and Linux Mint 19. Restore a snapshot taken before MESA was upgraded to 18.0.5, or wait for Ubuntu to fix this problem.
!! Exiting.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=272665
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

JeremyB wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:15 am
SwanRider wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:09 am Has anyone come across this? I tried updating my wife's laptop and got this
!! Exiting.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=272665
Thanks - didn't look far enough in the forum :oops: :oops: lesson learnt
sikejsudjek

Post by sikejsudjek »

I had to roll back a few days to before the mesa update on my laptop, then it went smoothly. Updated 2 out of 3 systems so far. One took quite a long time but eventually updated all packages, after requesting my password a few times.

No major problems - wine is broken for a couple of programs but I expected that. Replaced the broken wine version of Reaper (DAW software) with the pre beta native linux version and that works well. Seems snappier and sharper.

Would be nice if some more choices of menu bar could be added, the defaults are quite small from an accessibility point of view.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

sikejsudjek wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:38 pm Would be nice if some more choices of menu bar could be added, the defaults are quite small from an accessibility point of view.
If you mean the window decorations see here for instructions to download Mint 19 compatible versions of the default 18.3 set viewtopic.php?f=208&t=272414
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
sikejsudjek

Post by sikejsudjek »

smurphos wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:32 pm
sikejsudjek wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:38 pm Would be nice if some more choices of menu bar could be added, the defaults are quite small from an accessibility point of view.
If you mean the window decorations see here for instructions to download Mint 19 compatible versions of the default 18.3 set viewtopic.php?f=208&t=272414
Thanks for that link, I'll add them back in !
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

The timeshift step is a real ball-ache... Finding enough space was a drama, then it took an age (over 3 hours on my VB installation).

Surely timeshift should be optional for those users that already have backup/restore procedures in-place?

Mike.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”