Monthly News – June 2019

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Monthly News – June 2019

Post by thx-1138 »

smurphos wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:09 am Coz some of us can't stand Firefox and don't like Mozilla much either - their attitude to fixing bugs sucks,
and they can't make any of their apps work properly with GTK themes.
Plus if Canonical's Chromium as snap only experiment works out I bet Firefox will be on the list at some point.
Coz some of us can't stand Alphabet,Inc's megalomania* and don't like Google much either - their attitude to other web developers sucks,
and they won't make any of their apps work properly with Ad blockers.
Plus if Canonical's Chromium as snap only experiment works out I bet most other applications will be on the list at some point.

*abc.xyz as company's official domain (gotta love their modesty...what's that - Revelation 22:13 much?) :wink:

scnr :mrgreen:
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Horses for courses.....

Chromium 77 with U-Block is still ad-blocking just fine. As and when that breaks I may revise my choice of browser.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Lol, just nitpicking. Wouldn't also bet on neither horse of those for the future... :)
That Random Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by That Random Guy »

smurphos wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:09 am Coz some of us can't stand Firefox and don't like Mozilla much either - their attitude to fixing bugs sucks, and they can't make any of their apps work properly with GTK themes. Plus if Canonical's Chromium as snap only experiment works out I bet Firefox will be on the list at some point.
Some of us don't cater to Gnome as priority 1.

Their "attitude" toward fixing bugs is likely no different than any other huge open-source project that has the organizational structure of Mozilla. Get over it.

Firefox should be there for sanity reasons. Chromium can rot for all I care. :roll:
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I'm not sure what Gnome's got to do with it? For better or worse the GTK toolkit is widely used outside of Gnome. Firefox on Linux is an app built with the GTK toolkit so it would be nice if it worked properly with GTK themes. But Mozilla long ago made the bizarre decision to allow the GTK theme to partially theme web content aswell as the App and have been dodging bug reports as a result for over a decade. It wouldn't even be hard to them to fix.

It doesn't bother me, I know how to workaround it, and contributed to the workaround being included in current Mint. I've also got no objection to Firefox being the default in Mint, but it is important that alternatives are reasonably accessible to all users.

Chromium going snap doesn't really bother me either, I know how to get it from other sources, and other changes on the cards to Chromium may result in me re-evaluating my choice of browser.

But the Mint Devs quite rightly should be concerned when upstream changes force then to incorporate snapd, effectively a proprietary appstore, in Mint when they don't want to, or start to maintain Chromium directly, or include another source by default so as to give new users a reasonable choice from the mainstream open source browsers without jumping through too many hoops.

Is this the first step by Ubuntu of moving towards a snapd dominated packaging system is also a valid if long term concern for Ubuntu based distros.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”