Monthly News – June 2019

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Monthly News – June 2019

Post by clem »

AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Monthly News – June 2019

Post by AndyMH »

If chromium moves to a snap package, I will be switching to another browser.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
gm10

Post by gm10 »

AndyMH wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:27 pm If chromium moves to a snap package, I will be switching to another browser.
You can always compile it yourself/let Ubuntu do it via a PPA, or just use one of the existing PPAs.

Anyway, good blog, maybe except for the "we're all super happy" part - March wasn't bad, it was free PR, no reason to try so hard to walk it back now. ;)
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, gm10. As I understood the "super happy" part it was just meant to bring across the message that the "extended blues period" is over. Normal business again. :wink: Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

I wasn't aware that snaps were so problematic, but then I don't use them so I wouldn't.
Cliff Coggin
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

AndyMH wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:27 pm If chromium moves to a snap package, I will be switching to another browser.
I wondered what was different about chromium....
it don't really matter to me, it is just a 'backup browser' used to test links.
I only use Firefox.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
gm10

Post by gm10 »

karlchen wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:05 pm Hi, gm10. As I understood the "super happy" part it was just meant to bring across the message that the "extended blues period" is over. Normal business again. :wink: Karl
Yes, I know, it's how I understood it as well, it just sounded a bit forced to me. Might just be me though. Doesn't matter one way or another. It was a very good blog post otherwise.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Thank you LM Team for all your hard work, It is appreciated very much so.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

A self-installing Snap Store which overwrites part of our APT package base is a complete NO NO.
This speaks volumes
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Well it's not as if they have much choice with 32bit support but there is going to definitely be problems with a complete crossover. It's like Firefox and the addon support drop, many STILL have not been redone to the new standard and I myself have to keep a outdated portable version around for one addon specifically which the dev has basically abandoned because he does not think it's possible to do the same thing with the new standard.
unkilbeeg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by unkilbeeg »

I didn't see any mention of Mate in this month's status. Is a Mate version still going to be supported?

I've tried Cinnamon several times, but I personally find the Mate experience more comfortable.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

unkilbeeg wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:51 am I didn't see any mention of Mate in this month's status. Is a Mate version still going to be supported?
I expect that MATE and Xfce will indeed be supported for at least the rest of the 19.x series. :)

Specific to desktop environments, I think that Cinnamon gets news as it's Clem & Co. who are developing it, where MATE and Xfce are developed elsewhere.

Joe
unkilbeeg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by unkilbeeg »

It was my understanding that the MATE project was also associated with Mint. Did that change, or was I just misunderstanding the relationship?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

unkilbeeg wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:23 am It was my understanding that the MATE project was also associated with Mint. Did that change, or was I just misunderstanding the relationship?
MATE used to be mainly developed by the Mint team, but these days the Mint team concentrates on Cinnamon. Anyway, LM 19.2 will come with MATE 1.22.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

MATE used to be mainly developed by the Mint team
Are you referring to the Mint MATE DE here?
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Clem is mentioned here: https://mate-desktop.org/team/.

Not exactly sure what "helped bootstrap MATE in the early days" means though. :?:
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Good reference @Shultz,
Not sure about the bootstrap call either, but it's something I was not aware of.
Imho Cinnamon is Clem's visionary breakaway.
The Cinnamon teams continue to impress so it's easy to see the resources tilting toward Cinnamon.
However I still support every Mint effort.
That Random Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by That Random Guy »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:27 pm I wondered what was different about chromium....
it don't really matter to me, it is just a 'backup browser' used to test links.
I only use Firefox.
Ditto—don't really get why folk are making a fuss about Chromium of all things.

If it were Firefox or something, then I'd be having a big tantrum.

Chrome's big brother? Nah. :lol:
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Qute from the monthly LinuxMint news by Clem:
As long as snap is a solution to a problem, it’s great. Just like Flatpak, it can solve some of the real issues we have with frozen package bases. It can provide us with software we couldn’t otherwise run as packages. When it starts replacing packages for no good reason though, when it starts harming our interaction with upstream projects and software vendors and reducing our choice, it becomes a threat.
Chromium is only one popular example of SNAP becoming a sort of a monopoly interfering with the way other Linux distributions are organised and function. I guess the fear that Snap is becoming a monopoly is the danger Clem is warning us about. Spotify is mentioned by Clem as another example in which Feodora users are already dependent on 1 commercial company for their Snap release.

Qute from the monthly LinuxMint news by Clem:
If you’re a Fedora user and you want to install Spotify, you’re told to go to https://snapcraft.io/spotify. Spotify doesn’t distribute RPM packages, appimage, Flatpak or anything useful to a Fedora user who wants to download it....

...We (at LinuxMint) are in luck, we can still download the .deb. If Spotify stops caring, what do we do?
Last edited by carum carvi on Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

That Random Guy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:24 pm Ditto—don't really get why folk are making a fuss about Chromium of all things.

If it were Firefox or something, then I'd be having a big tantrum.

Chrome's big brother? Nah. :lol:
Coz some of us can't stand Firefox and don't like Mozilla much either - their attitude to fixing bugs sucks, and they can't make any of their apps work properly with GTK themes. Plus if Canonical's Chromium as snap only experiment works out I bet Firefox will be on the list at some point.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”