Linux Mint 19.2 “Tina” Cinnamon released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 19.2 “Tina” Cinnamon released!

Post by MrGrimm » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:12 am

mattlach wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:37 am
Also, death to Flatpak (and Snaps, and AppImage)

If it's not in the central package repository, it doesn't belong on a system.

One of the biggest security benefit of Linux is its one central package repository on a system keeping everything patched. I fear we are losing this in an attempt to placate lazy developers a quick and easy way to distribute packages to many different distributions.
in a perfect world this might work. if os's were created correctly you would have the base, get updates to the base without affecting the installed apps, apps would be self-contained(deb, snap, flatpak, etc. in doing this if you need to roll the core system back cause of a bad update the software you have on your os won't get rolled back if it's been updated. having multiple ways to install your apps is a very good thing cause there are a lot of people myself included that would of never left windows if everything had to be either done via the command line or only from the included software centers. i'll give you a couple of good examples: manjaro and mageia you have to rely on the community to add apps to there repositories. i've tested both and because of this model there are a lot of apps i use that just are not available as of yet, and both of those os's have been around for awhile now. as for you point about security there are antivirus and malware apps for linux. these you should install and scan everything you download before you install it or run it. with items only from the repositories it makes it hard to scan them until after they're installed. the main point the more people creating software for a os the better and not all are going to want their app(s) in the various software repositories for the various versions of linux.

EDIT:

have to ask why the devs didn't wait for unbuntu 18.04.3 to be released before building this?

BrianI
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 19.2 “Tina” Cinnamon released!

Post by BrianI » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:27 pm

A painless upgrade from Mint 19.1 Cinnamon to Mint 19.2 Cinnamon :-) :D Thank you to the developers :-)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”